WD's Big Advantage: BiCS3 64-Layer 3D NAND Coming This Year

It's me!
9 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

would be enough to run Seagate out of town. Density is already high enough that Samsung is beating everyone in raw storage size per drive (a 16TB 2.5" drive with the same thickness as a 3.5"). That's with 48-layer 40nm VNAND too, so it's not like HAMR is going to save Seagate's bacon with 20TB drives by 2020. Samsung could make a 25TB 3.5" drive right now if it wanted to.

Seagate will be on its way out by the end of the decade. Whether it's Micron, WD, Intel

The most funny part is that WD now has a failure rate that is 2X that of seagate in the backblaze reports, but no one even pays attention anymore! 

1 hour ago, It's me! said:

The most funny part is that WD now has a failure rate that is 2X that of seagate in the backblaze reports, but no one even pays attention anymore! 

If you eliminate the green drives from that report, the table flips. Value drives are always garbage.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

59 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

If you eliminate the green drives from that report, the table flips. Value drives are always garbage.

Well actually the Green Drives have a more complicated issue...

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/

StorageReview-Seagate-Savvio-10K6-Heads.jpg
intellipark7.png 

Check out the orange plastic pieces. This landing zone was (keyword "was".. I'll get back to this later) unique to WD Greens and a few other drives that are Green drives with a different name.

WD Green drives have cool stuff on the box that says things like:

-Cool & quiet computing.
-eco-conscious
-power saving
-great for desktop or workstation use*
*Desktop drives are not recommended for use in RAID environments, please consider using WD Red hard drives for home and small office 1-5 bay NAS systems and WD Enterprise hard drives for rackmount and >5 bay NAS systems.

Well, crap. This forum is all about servers. That asterisk really screws us over, doesn't it?

Well, yes and no. This is why this topic exists. WD Green drives will automatically park themselves after being idle for 8 seconds(the default). So if you do a disk read or write followed by at least 8 seconds of inactivity the heads will park. On the next read or write the head will unpark to perform the task. Next time the drive is idle for 8 seconds it will park again. So you can see that if you had a disk read or write every 10 seconds it could park and unpark itself frequently. To make problems even worse, that landing zone is only rated for 250,000 to 350,000cycles or so(depends on model and year of manufacture). Some people have recorded well over 800,000 cycles in less than a year! Normally for a desktop you'll do a lot of reading for a short period of time, followed by significant idle time. So getting to a large number of cycles for a desktop is quite difficult. But, on a server things are a bit different. If you start streaming a movie ZFS will read-ahead on the movie. It will probably be more than 8 seconds between reads. This means that the whole time you are watching a movie the drive will be parking and unparking itself. Some people have recorded more than 250k cycles in less than a year. Western Digital knows about all of this stuff, and there are stories of WD denying warranties on drives with excessive cycles because it's an indicator that you used the drive outside its "designed" criteria. Because of this claim they do not have to honor the warranty. Good luck trying to fight them on it too.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

15 hours ago, It's me! said:

~snip~

Hey guys :)

Here's our official Press Release.  

Here are a couple of quotes from it:

"Western Digital expects meaningful commercial volumes of BiCS3 in the first half of calendar 2017. "

"Western Digital expects volume shipments of BiCS3 for the retail market in the fourth calendar quarter of 2016 and to begin OEM sampling this quarter."

Let me know if I can be of help :)

Thanks @Sauron for mentioning :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

6 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

And Seagate doesn't have value drives.....right? 

And of course, I'm sure you have a source of the blackblaze report without value drives included. Mind sharing it with the rest of us

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

33 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And Seagate doesn't have value drives.....right? 

And of course, I'm sure you have a source of the blackblaze report without value drives included. Mind sharing it with the rest of us

Seagate's problem is its drives are consistently bad. And it's really easy. The report contains both the dissected/raw and collated data.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd