Nvidia Titan XP has same FP64 and FP16 performance as GTX 1080

marldorthegreat
3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Titan Z was a horrible overheating abomination which cost 3000$ for 2x1000$ Titans. Tinta ZP would have to be 3500$ for a hot mess...

It was even worse: two underclocked $1000 Titans for $3000.

3 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

Titan Z was a horrible overheating abomination which cost 3000$ for 2x1000$ Titans. Tinta ZP would have to be 3500$ for a hot mess...

Nah knowing Nvidia they will charge $4000 just because they can

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

14 minutes ago, DXMember said:

how do you even manage to do that while adding SMs?

Because the SMs add FP32 performance and not FP64 or FP16  performance.

Unless you specifically make it that way. FP64 is always a fraction of FP32 performance.

With Pascal GP102, GP104 and GP106 the fraction is 1/32. So it is FP64 performance is 32x slower than FP32 performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, LordLeewee said:

So this is the high end gaming card, could mean no 1080ti?

Nope. Nvidia officially responded to Anandtech and said that this GPU is not for gaming.

This means that there is a high chance of a 1080Ti

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Nope. Nvidia officially responded to Anandtech and said that this GPU is not for gaming.

This means that there is a high chance of a 1080Ti

Ah right. Still got my fingers crossed I'll pick up a cheap(er) 1080 for sli when a ti hits

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the original one was a pretty good deal for "cheap" compute performance but thats the only card that has made any real sense ever... 

Titan black was also a good compute card

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

They keep edging closer and closer to becoming a furnace like the R9 290 cards. Only 40 more watts to go. 

Poor nvidia. Haven't they learned that making a bigger chip and shoving more power through it doesnt make it better? Learn from AMD. Learn from them

Do you even fanboy bro?

They really should have found a way to make ti 3840 CUDA cores to complete the lineup of 2560 and 1920.

26 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

They keep edging closer and closer to becoming a furnace like the R9 290 cards. Only 40 more watts to go. 

Poor nvidia. Haven't they learned that making a bigger chip and shoving more power through it doesnt make it better? Learn from AMD. Learn from them

Except that making a bigger chip is literally how ALL chip manufacturers make higher tier products within a generation. 

And yeah, it's 40w (also tdp != power consumption) shy of the 290 for almost triple the performance. Bad nvidia! Bad! 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

There is no Tesla in that list, which was his claim.  But at the same time, I have heard that Tesla cards actually perform rather poorly in folding workloads.  Just not their designed purpose.

Those were only consumer chips. Tesla chips are literally 30 times more expensive than the rx 480 and 6 times more expensive then a Titan X. (not P)

41 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Except that making a bigger chip is literally how ALL chip manufacturers make higher tier products within a generation. 

And yeah, it's 40w (also tdp != power consumption) shy of the 290 for almost triple the performance. Bad nvidia! Bad! 

I really don't think you get it. The TDP of the 290x is 290 watts. The TDP of the new titan is 250 watts. Being a power hog has nothing to do with it. 

Everyone makes fun of AMD for the 290 being a hot card. The new titan is going to be a hot card. The performance doesnt mean anything. A hot card is a hot card and they are just shy of getting near AMD's heater. 

So don't go spouting off about performance and power consumption when that's not even what I was talking about. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

14 minutes ago, Liltrekkie said:

I really don't think you get it. The TDP of the 290x is 290 watts. The TDP of the new titan is 250 watts. Being a power hog has nothing to do with it. 

Everyone makes fun of AMD for the 290 being a hot card. The new titan is going to be a hot card. The performance doesnt mean anything. A hot card is a hot card and they are just shy of getting near AMD's heater. 

So don't go spouting off about performance and power consumption when that's not even what I was talking about. 

People complain about the 290 being a hot card because compared to the 780, it was. There have been hot cards throughout the history of modern GPUs. The GTX480 is the literal embodiment of that. 

The Maxwell Titan X was also a hot card that thermal throttled, as did the Titan Z. It's not like the 290 is the only card that people ever mocked for it's heat output.

You're right, you were talking about literal nonsense that's not even remotely relevant to anything. Congratulations. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

People complain about the 290 being a hot card because compared to the 780, it was. There have been hot cards throughout the history of modern GPUs. The GTX480 is the literal embodiment of that. 

The Maxwell Titan X was also a hot card that thermal throttled, as did the Titan Z. It's not like the 290 is the only card that people ever mocked for it's heat output.

The running joke is the 290 since its a recent card though, which was more my point. We all know NVIDIA doesnt want to get all fermi again., ;)

Do you even fanboy bro?

6 hours ago, Phoenix721 said:

Really hope AMD's fury 2 (or whatever it's called) kills this SOB.

I've been calling it the 2 fast 2 furious

3 hours ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

Nvidia dropped the "Geforce" and "GTX" branding from 2016 Titan X...so I'm scratching my head on this one.

I'm wondering what the LED lit logo is going to be. 

the new Titan is listed under the GTX10xx series

and the product page has references to gaming: http://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/10series/titan-x/

Reality is that Nvidia has no competition right now in the high-end market and who suffers with that is the consumer...

Same goes for Intel. I hope AMD have an answer for that, so we dont have to deal with 1200 dollars GPUs and 1600 dollars CPus...

Please fix the formatting for night theme :(

On topic: Holy monopolies batman!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 hours ago, Sauron said:

There's more to quadros than vram. The titan x has no ecc and no extra fp performance. Single precision is also not that useful in rendering.

What render engine are you using that needs DP for more than pretty much just hair?

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

10 hours ago, marldorthegreat said:

What I think:

They have just made a gaming focused GPU, and charged $1200. So the nvidia fanboys cannot defend this card. It is an overpriced gaming card. For double the cost of the gtx 1080, you get ~%30 more performance. 

Almost like the Radeon Pro Duo? I cannot see the gaming value it that at all...

10 hours ago, GarnetDevil said:

Has the GTX Titan lineup ever been relevant?

Not really, just massive e-peen...

For those still wondering if the Titan XP is a Geforce unit... Nvidia lists it under the Geforce GTX line ;)

http://www.geforce.com/hardware

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

1 hour ago, Serin said:

What render engine are you using that needs DP for more than pretty much just hair?

Yeah I wanna know too. I have no clue if Nvidia Iray can remotely take advantage of FP64 for rendering not just physics, but also global illumination and raytracing.

If that's the case, then I'll look to see if I can snag a used GeForce GTX Titan Black.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

22 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

Yeah I wanna know too. I have no clue if Nvidia Iray can remotely take advantage of FP64 for rendering not just physics, but also global illumination and raytracing.

If that's the case, then I'll look to see if I can snag a used GeForce GTX Titan Black.

Yeah its something I did a fair bit of research into before grabbing my titan x last year - most of the modern render engines like cycles, octane, vray and mentalray don't require any DP(aside from Octane for hair calculations, though not 100% sure).
The general consensus I've found is that geforce cards outperform quadro's in these engines quite effectively. Not only in actual render times but obviously in price to performance.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.