Is the Skylake "bending" issue, really an issue?

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

Also, a lot of people reporting it were using drills to tighten coolers, which I doubt helped.

Linus should start doing this he'd save so much time.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

Just now, Daveeede said:

Linus should start doing this he'd save so much time.

Hey, we both live in Montreal. Want to come over and watch me screw in the cooler? You could tell me if I'm going overboard or not...

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Honestly you'll be fine as long as you follow the instructions. 

5 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Hey, we both live in Montreal. Want to come over and watch me screw in the cooler? You could tell me if I'm going overboard or not...

This post sounds like a bad craigslist ad.

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

2 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

Honestly you'll be fine as long as you follow the instructions. 

This post sounds like a bad craigslist ad.

Meant to.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

13 minutes ago, Daveeede said:

This is what I'm talking about. As you overtighten the cooler, this causes higher stresses on the processor, causing the substrate to fail and "bend" along the edges. 

To say that putting a cooler over 700g will bend your cpu is crap, because most of that weight (if not all) is supported by the motherboard. But to fix that cooler to the motherboard without it falling, may require you to really tighten the screws. This overtightening is the issue, not the actual weight of the cpu cooler.

Ooops.  Think I misunderstood you then.  Sorry about that.   

Outside of building computers I also do some gunsmithing.  And lesson one in that is to always follow specs.  Because if you don't someone could get hurt.  So for me it is looking at how things SHOULD be done and saying things are fine.   I don't account for people using a screw gun to attach a heat sink.  Haha!  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

15 minutes ago, KWelz said:

Ooops.  Think I misunderstood you then.  Sorry about that.   

Outside of building computers I also do some gunsmithing.  And lesson one in that is to always follow specs.  Because if you don't someone could get hurt.  So for me it is looking at how things SHOULD be done and saying things are fine.   I don't account for people using a screw gun to attach a heat sink.  Haha!  

Yeah, guess the site that used a drill to install their new coolers weren't too bright. At the very least, understand its because you used too much force and don't create a whole fuss out of it.

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

I'd give it a 2-3 week testing period personally

I found an NH-L9x65 for sale. 300g like I said, so I'll just install it and forget it, this shouldn't cause any issues.

On July 26, 2016 at 0:26 PM, Daveeede said:

This is what I'm talking about. As you overtighten the cooler, this causes higher stresses on the processor, causing the substrate to fail and "bend" along the edges. 

To say that putting a cooler over 700g will bend your cpu is crap, because most of that weight (if not all) is supported by the motherboard. But to fix that cooler to the motherboard without it falling, may require you to really tighten the screws. This overtightening is the issue, not the actual weight of the cpu cooler.

Alright well I just tested the NH-L9x65 and I thermal throttled in the Intel XTU Stress Test. Back to the U12S. Just to confirm again, there should be absolutely no issue with the U12S bending the CPU, right? Noctua's SecuriFirm mounting system makes you screw it into the brackets you install beforehand, so not too much weight or pressure should be applied to the CPU right?

12 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Alright well I just tested the NH-L9x65 and I thermal throttled in the Intel XTU Stress Test. Back to the U12S. Just to confirm again, there should be absolutely no issue with the U12S bending the CPU, right? Noctua's SecuriFirm mounting system makes you screw it into the brackets you install beforehand, so not too much weight or pressure should be applied to the CPU right?

Well yeah, there's pressure against the CPU, there has to be in order to ensure there's efficient contact between the heatspreader and the cooler. I just don't think there's any indication that it will cause damage.

And I don't think it matters that the cooler is heavier because that force comes from the mounting pressure. In an upright case, the motherboard is perpendicular to gravity, so the heatsink's weight is directed toward the floor. The heatsink hangs off of the CPU, it doesn't sit on it.

7 minutes ago, typographie said:

Well yeah, there's pressure against the CPU, there has to be in order to ensure there's efficient contact between the heatspreader and the cooler. I just don't think there's any indication that it will cause damage.

And I don't think it matters that the cooler is heavier because that force comes from the mounting pressure. In an upright case, the motherboard is perpendicular to gravity, so the heatsink's weight is directed toward the floor. The heatsink hangs off of the CPU, it doesn't sit on it.

But doesn't that mean that the heatsink is tugging on the CPU?

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

But doesn't that mean that the heatsink is tugging on the CPU?

No.  Because there is no way for it to pull on the CPU.  It has not attachment to it, only contact.   It can push on it but unless you have glued them together it has no way of pulling on it.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

2 minutes ago, KWelz said:

No.  Because there is no way for it to pull on the CPU.  It has not attachment to it, only contact.   It can push on it but unless you have glued them together it has no way of pulling on it.  

Sick so basically since Noctua's system takes most of the pressure off the CPU and puts it on the brackets and spring screws, I have nothing to worry about. 

Oh, and when I removed my U12S earlier, the paste was stuck to it. I couldn't pull it off, had to slide it off... 

5 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

Sick so basically since Noctua's system takes most of the pressure off the CPU and puts it on the brackets and spring screws, I have nothing to worry about. 

Oh, and when I removed my U12S earlier, the paste was stuck to it. I couldn't pull it off, had to slide it off... 

Correct

Just now, KWelz said:

Correct

And about that U12S not coming off due to the paste, I pulled up a decent bit on it, but it didn't come off, so I slid it off instead. Was this due to the paste not being cooked enough? 

Okay so the cooler I have on my 6500 is a EKL Alpenföhn Brocken that weighs 700 gramms without a fan and 920 gramms without a fan. My system has been running for more than half a year now and I was actually really careful with screwing this thing down since it does not have screws that help you with the pressure. I screwed it down just so that it wouldn't move anymore and has a bit of force on the processor.

My CPU is constantly at 30° degrees pretty much (because that cooler is just overkill) and I cannot get it to 50° with Prime95. I bet if I was to take it apart and look at the CPU it would look as if you just took it out of it's box (except for the thermal paste obviously).

On 26.7.2016 at 4:45 PM, don_svetlio said:

From a user at PCgamer
964e0bf64e2efe9ae3abfe07b326efb4-650-80.

As for this "bend": This occured at the top edge of the CPU if on a vertical mounted motherboard. [Using common sense:] There is literally no way for a cooler to mount in a way that this corner and nothing else breaks. Even if you were hitting against the cooler from the lower left there is no way for the CPU substrate to get that kind of "bend" done because the other 3 corners would prevent you from getting it anywhere near that angle and all the other pins from pressing you down to that.

Now if you want to see a test of all this I have a video for you all. Unfortunately this is in german so I just skipped in to where they start the actual test.

First he's hitting on the table because they were told that this is enough for it to break. They used this cooler: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-4-pcgh.html. Scythe made a new mounting kit for that particular cooler because they said mounting preasure was too high. In this video they first start off with the screws that mount the cooler not being fully tightend and those guys tightening them while the system is running.

They used a motherboard that biostar offered them and a Pentium G4400. Have fun watching it.

They have a disclaimer on the site stating that five days later they couldn't get the system to start up anymore because the pins inside the socket were too bent. They tested the processor on another board and it worked just fine. Before you judge though watch the video!

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Cooler Noctua NH-D15S | MB Asus ROG Strix B550 A-Gaming | RAM 2 x G.Skill Trident Z Royal silver 16 GB @ 3200 MHz CL14 | GPU Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8G

Case Fractal Design Define C TG | SSD(s) Boot: Samsung 970 EVO 250 GBPrograms: Samsung 970 EVO 1 TBData: Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB | PSU Seasonic Focus GX 750W

Screen(s) Main: ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-mhd, Second: Asus PB277Q, Third: LG Flatron E2240T | Keyboard Ducky One (MX Blues) | Mouse Logitech G Pro Gaming

Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X PCIe, System: Edifier R1280DB | OS Windows 10, 64 Bit

1 hour ago, intelCore said:

Okay so the cooler I have on my 6500 is a EKL Alpenföhn Brocken that weighs 700 gramms without a fan and 920 gramms without a fan. My system has been running for more than half a year now and I was actually really careful with screwing this thing down since it does not have screws that help you with the pressure. I screwed it down just so that it wouldn't move anymore and has a bit of force on the processor.

My CPU is constantly at 30° degrees pretty much (because that cooler is just overkill) and I cannot get it to 50° with Prime95. I bet if I was to take it apart and look at the CPU it would look as if you just took it out of it's box (except for the thermal paste obviously).

As for this "bend": This occured at the top edge of the CPU if on a vertical mounted motherboard. [Using common sense:] There is literally no way for a cooler to mount in a way that this corner and nothing else breaks. Even if you were hitting against the cooler from the lower left there is no way for the CPU substrate to get that kind of "bend" done because the other 3 corners would prevent you from getting it anywhere near that angle and all the other pins from pressing you down to that.

Now if you want to see a test of all this I have a video for you all. Unfortunately this is in german so I just skipped in to where they start the actual test.

First he's hitting on the table because they were told that this is enough for it to break. They used this cooler: http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-4-pcgh.html. Scythe made a new mounting kit for that particular cooler because they said mounting preasure was too high. In this video they first start off with the screws that mount the cooler not being fully tightend and those guys tightening them while the system is running.

They used a motherboard that biostar offered them and a Pentium G4400. Have fun watching it.

They have a disclaimer on the site stating that five days later they couldn't get the system to start up anymore because the pins inside the socket were too bent. They tested the processor on another board and it worked just fine. Before you judge though watch the video!

Alright well I'm not too worried anymore. Thing is, my desk for some reason really channels vibrations. Just typing shakes my monitor around. Like originally stated in the old thread, my NH-U12S does have a tiny bit of wiggle room, and I'm afraid all the vibrations will cause issues.