Tim Sweeney believes that Microsoft will harm Steam with Windows 10 updates

Misanthrope
5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

If there is a EU in 5 years from now

Hopefully not. Or rather, it needs a complete restructure and go back to being a trade union, rather than a political union (no one got to vote for).

4 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Nope, Windows could make a new version that completely removes any support for programs made for older versions, and not be sued by anyone. The problem is, who the hell would buy an OS with no supported programs.

You answered you own question then. No one in their right mind would want that. Even Apple aren't doing that. 

4 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Not if they do it veeeeery slowly over the course of 5 years it would be extremely hard to prove it. I mean not really, but extremely hard to prove it in court vs a mammoth with endless resources for legal battles like Microsoft I mean.

But I also think his assumption is surprisingly light on actual evidence of wrong doing as I said in the OP.

The monopoly charges would go through the roof though. Yeah I know this is what IOS is doing, but I don't understand why no one has ripped Apple a new one for that. EU for instance. However I don't see an issue with UWP, if you can buy and launch them from apps like Steam. Windows Store exclusivity would be a huge issue though. If MS went in that direction and NOT get sued, I'm sure Linux could get a huge influx now that Vulkan is a thing (thanks Oba..AMD).

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Please don't comment on thing you never used, or even looked at a picture before.

Thank you.

I use my windows phone daily. I have a Microsoft Lumia 640 running Windows 10 Mobile. I have used it for nearly 2 years.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

That's not the only reason though: I would describe driver support for GPUs today as completely abyssal. It just sucks there's 0 optimization specially for previous generations of hardware.

That is something not even Valve has managed to encourage: get AMD and Nvidia off their asses to give us not proper but usable drivers in Linux since what they have today are flatout not even usable imho.

Valve were working on GLNext which than became the Vulkan API. The future for game optimisation seems great.

1 minute ago, spidsepttk said:

But do people buy Windows phones for gaming?

If this happens than people will all move to linux operating systems which are MUCH BETTER. Linux is free, and the only reason that my gaming pc runs Windows is because more of my games are supported on Windows.

For how much i would love for that to happen, that will never happen.People are more likely to go with MS UWP only view than jumping on Linux for the simple fact that PCs will keep shipping with Windows pre installed, nobody got time to learn that OS=/=PC, and DIY system builder or a niche 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, spidsepttk said:

Valve were working on GLNext which than became the Vulkan API. The future for game optimisation seems great.

That's like working on a powerful new engine without even repairing a broken transmission: futile at best.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Notional said:

Hopefully not. Or rather, it needs a complete restructure and go back to being a trade union, rather than a political union (no one got to vote for).

You answered you own question then. No one in their right mind would want that. Even Apple aren't doing that. 

The monopoly charges would go through the roof though. Yeah I know this is what IOS is doing, but I don't understand why no one has ripped Apple a new one for that. EU for instance. However I don't see an issue with UWP, if you can buy and launch them from apps like Steam. Windows Store exclusivity would be a huge issue though. If MS went in that direction and NOT get sued, I'm sure Linux could get a huge influx now that Vulkan is a thing (thanks Oba..AMD).

Actually, apple did do that when they upgraded to Intel. All applications for PowerPC do not work on Intel macs.

i just wanna add that i feel like this guy is HUGELY inflating the idea, to the point it almost becomes hilareous.

for a starters, even OSX's walled garden allows you to install 3rd party "sourced" programs

beyond that, here's a few reasons why they could never get rid of win32 or similar:

- drivers for obscure hardware, this is currently windows' strong point: every device ships with a win32 driver in the box, getting rid of that would be the worst buisiness move ever.

- drivers that update often, and cutting edge releases. think GPU drivers, and wifi drivers.

- their platform just works win32, the apps are just a "security layer" on top of win32.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

That's like working on a powerful new engine without even repairing a broken transmission: futile at best.

Its more like developers being expected to get off their asses and make games that are well optimised so people don't need extremely expensive computers to run games.

2 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

For how much i would love for that to happen, that will never happen.People are more likely to go with MS UWP only view than jumping on Linux for the simple fact that PCs will keep shipping with Windows pre installed, nobody got time to learn that OS=/=PC, and DIY system builder or a niche 

By that logic Microsoft's in deep trouble: People will use PCs less and less and it would be all iOS and Android eventually.Only developers would ever use anything more than a Tablet or phone.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, spidsepttk said:

Actually, apple did do that when they upgraded to Intel. All applications for PowerPC do not work on Intel macs.

Yeah but that was a hardware support issue. Power PC was not an x86 architecture. Switching to Intel (x86) actually improved support making it easier to make OSX apps.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yeah, people also do not seem to realise that the future should be about cross compatibility. People should be able to use whatever OS they want.

3 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Apple introduced Rosetta when they moved to intel to make them compatible and kept it up till OSX 10.7

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

5 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

they dint "upgrade to intel" to lock you out using your own applications tho.

they simply went with intel (from stories, appareantly just by a hair chose intel over amd) because PowerPC was a dying architecture for computers. 

in fact, i doubt at this time PowerPC is used anywhere outside of nintendo's wiiU console and other very specialized applications.

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

By that logic Microsoft's in deep trouble: People will use PCs less and less and it would be all iOS and Android eventually.Only developers would ever use anything more than a Tablet or phone.

that is if and when Android or iOS become suitable replacement for the desktop space. Frankly i see the likes of Adobe more prone to make an a full UWP Creative Suit than an iOS/Android one, simply because MS will keep holding the desktop market place by the balls 

5 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Yeah, people also do not seem to realise that the future should be about cross compatibility. People should be able to use whatever OS they want.

A wild dream we all wished came true 

20 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

"We'll make our own UWP only OS with black Jack and hookers!"

and add free solitaire 

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I doubt this will actually happen, but regardless I'm kinda glad that I'm still on 8.1 :P

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

that is if and when Android or iOS become suitable replacement for the desktop space. Frankly i see the likes of Adobe more prone to make an a full UWP Creative Suit than an iOS/Android one, simply because MS will keep holding the desktop market place by the balls 

Kinda why I said except for developers. But yeah.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

I think that people think that it is hard to make multi os compatible programs. The problem is DirectX, and its selfish support of only Windows. If everyone used OpenGL than everyone would get games for any OS.

29 minutes ago, Notional said:

Yeah I know this is what IOS is doing, but I don't understand why no one has ripped Apple a new one for that.

Its funny, I suggested Apple had anti-competitive practices on this forum before and got about four people telling me that was not possible. Now everyone is raising hell about "Micro$oft" and what they maybe might someday do in the future. I don't understand it.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

1 minute ago, Qub3d said:

Its funny, I suggested Apple had anti-competitive practices on this forum before and got about four people telling me that can't happen. Now everyone is raising hell about Micro$oft and what they maybe might someday do in the future. I don't understand it.

4206233-0244238010-doubl.jpg

No company is above criticism or abuse of their power. It should always be pointed out. As such I have no problem with Sweeney's statement, as it's better to voice a concern, than to just ignore it.

The only reason MS gets flak, is because they are the majority platform for gaming (on pc).

they wont use thee stick this time they have realized the carrot is the best method in 5 years they will have slowly increased the price of games over inflation and enticing users with exclusives and games that work on xbox and PC

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

2 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

Its funny, I suggested Apple had anti-competitive practices on this forum before and got about four people telling me that was not possible. Now everyone is raising hell about Micro$oft and what they maybe might someday do in the future. I don't understand it.

simple

Selezione_001.png

Selezione_002.png

51 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

In 5 years from now, Microsoft will show ads at every mouse clicks. And when you turn on your PC, you'll watch 20 min of ads, with questions in between to make sure you are paying attention. 1 mistake, and you to re-watch another set of 20 min ads.

Microsoft is also working with Nvidia, Intel and AMD, integrating the ability for the OS to overclock your hardware.. but you don't have access to this. If you fail 3 times answering these ads question in a row, it sets the voltage of your hardware to crazy high number, burning your chips. Forcing you to buy a new computer and a new license of Windows.

And if you don't use Cortana 5 times a day, at the end of the day, it will encrypt all your data, randsomeware style, asking you pay a fee to decrypt it all.

In fact, Microsoft is also working with the government around the word to ban all other operating system beside Windows. And Bill Gates, you think he is all great with his philanthropic work, but in reality all medication provided by the Gates &Melinda foundation are brainwashing medication, to form the ultimate army to rule the world! Why else he would do this? To help people?... HA!

And that is all possible thanks to the forced update system. Microsoft is EEEEVVVVIILL!

This is why i came here to see goodbytes defend Microsoft :)) 

tumblr_n99owvCBXz1sgl0ajo1_250.gif

1 hour ago, Notional said:

However this scenario is what Valve feared, and why they made SteamOS. Too bad they made it when OpenGL was the only viable API out there. DOA!

Valve is doing the sensible thing as far as their business is concerned by spreading some of their risk to Linux. Right now they can afford to throw money at it, from their point of view if they lose the windows market one day at least they can downsize and continue to operate their store on mac OSX and Linux. 

the 3rd party steam machines have failed so far, but what Valve has succeeded in doing is exponentially increasing the availability of games on linux. It's now a viable gaming platform and I myself game a lot on it with a good experience, which was impossible before. They have managed to do this by establishing steamOS as a target platform for porting and investing a lot into things like dev tools and developer know how. they even invested a lot in Vulkan which will have an impact on future linux gaming performance, ease of porting etc. So what they have been able to do so far is get linux users to start buying more games and be excited about gaming.

What they have NOT been able to do is expand Linux market share. And I think that battle is not something Valve can fight. It's upto the Linux desktop distributions like Ubuntu and Mint and Debian etc to push their desktop market share. That involves a strong marketing push and bundling with prebuilts computers etc. They can for the first time utilize the fact that linux is a viable gaming platform, but that's not the only reason people prefer windows. The non-gaming related issues of linux will have to be tackled by these organizations if they want to challenge windows desktop. So far they have failed in that, if they continue to fail then linux steam gaming will also continue to be a niche.