Tim Sweeney believes that Microsoft will harm Steam with Windows 10 updates

Misanthrope

Put on your fireproof suit this is bound to quickly turn into a flame war

Seems like Tim here believes there's an ulterior motive for Windows to be pushing UWP even though the complains about initial games launched on them where not insignificant or unfounded:

There are two programming interfaces for Windows and every app has to choose one of them,

Every Steam app – every PC game for the past few decades – has used Win32. It’s been both responsible for the vibrant software market we have now, but also for malware. Any program can be a virus. Universal Windows Platform is seen as an antidote to that. It’s sandboxed – much more locked down.

The risk here is that, if Microsoft convinces everybody to use UWP, then they phase out Win32 apps. If they can succeed in doing that then it’s a small leap to forcing all apps and games to be distributed through the Windows Store. Once we reach that point, the PC has become a closed platform. It won’t be that one day they flip a switch that will break your Steam library – what they’re trying to do is a series of sneaky manoeuvres. They make it more and more inconvenient to use the old apps, and, simultaneously, they try to become the only source for the new ones.

So basically he believes Windows just wants to hamper the progress of Steam (and ultimately Origin and Uplay and gog as well) by just annoying the shit out of you when trying to run win32 apps (read: virtually all PC games) and if we know anything is that Microsoft is a bit of a legendary master at the arts of annoyance.

Slowly, over the next five years, they will force-patch Windows 10 to make Steam progressively worse and more broken. They’ll never completely break it, but will continue to break it until, in five years, people are so fed up that Steam is buggy that the Windows Store seems like an ideal alternative. That’s exactly what they did to their previous competitors in other areas. Now they’re doing it to Steam. It’s only just starting to become visible. Microsoft might not be competent enough to succeed with their plan, but they’re certainly trying.

What do you guys think? Personally (and this might surprise many coming out of me) I am not so quick to attribute to malice when this can be easily attributed to just stupidity. He has no substancial evidence on his conjecture but I would never the less would call it an educated guess given Microsoft's track record.

Ultimately though I doubt they could succeed simply because if they're too heavy handed trade comissions around the world would be all over them and if they're not heavy handed enough people could just move to Linux and Vulkan: we're just 1 successfull and user friendly distro away from that (Though given the chaotic state of affairs on Linux that's still an extremely tall order)

Any way flame on guys.

Sauce link:http://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/tim_sweeney_believes_that_microsoft_will_harm_steam_with_windows_10_updates/1

-------

Current Rig

-------

th?&id=OIP.M20d3802dc9eacc277ba406758b4e

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

No way MS would do that. They would get sued out of existence by everyone, every company and probably the EU too. MS might make dumb decisions, but they are not suicidal.

However this scenario is what Valve feared, and why they made SteamOS. Too bad they made it when OpenGL was the only viable API out there. DOA!

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

what does it matter, they're acting like tf2 and csgo run properly to begin with

qrcox.jpg

But seriously though that's a really good point: Last time I tried cs:go it would just not launch except in safe mode and of course that means resetting every goddamn thing incluying the resolution manually each time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just Microsoft's attempt of making the App Store. It won't work. I wish people would just forget about Windows, it is only used because game devs won't make their games compatible with multiple operating systems. Microsoft are recently forgetting that Windows is not UNIX based, and based on shitty MSDOS that has a lot of security risks, and it is much harder for an antivirus to work on a MSDOS based operating system than in a UNIX based system because drivers are stored the Windows folder instead of a different location from the files required for the system to function. The reason why there are many more viruses for Windows systems is because Windows does not have something called superuser that is found in UNIX based systems. To run any command that could be potentially harmful on a UNIX system you have to enter the root password by running sudo.

And then people would move to Linux and Microsoft will have shot themselves in the foot.

This wont happen.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

wouldn't surprise for MS to try that 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

30 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

-snip-

But seriously though that's a really good point: Last time I tried cs:go it would just not launch except in safe mode and of course that means resetting every goddamn thing incluying the resolution manually each time.

I'm beta-testing an anti-ransomware service for malwarebytes, and it keeps flagging the CS:GO executable as ransomware... 9_9

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Just now, Misanthrope said:

qrcox.jpg

Yep. And my experiences with Team Fortress 2, even with deleting every config file and reverifying cache, have been really bad. Tends to crash way too often, usually right before entering a server, but it's happened during gameplay. As in it'll crash right before actually getting a kill because Source engine.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Notional said:

No way MS would do that. They would get sued out of existence by everyone, every company and probably the EU too. MS might make dumb decisions, but they are not suicidal.

However this scenario is what Valve feared, and why they made SteamOS. Too bad they made it when OpenGL was the only viable API out there. DOA!

If there is a EU in 5 years from now

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Just now, Notional said:

Nope, Windows could make a new version that completely removes any support for programs made for older versions, and not be sued by anyone. The problem is, who the hell would buy an OS with no supported programs.

2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Not if they do it veeeeery slowly over the course of 5 years it would be extremely hard to prove it. I mean not really, but extremely hard to prove it in court vs a mammoth with endless resources for legal battles like Microsoft I mean.

But I also think his assumption is surprisingly light on actual evidence of wrong doing as I said in the OP.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, spidsepttk said:

Nope, Windows could make a new version that completely removes any support for programs made for older versions, and not be sued by anyone. The problem is, who the hell would buy an OS with no supported programs.

"We'll make our own UWP only OS with black Jack and hookers!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

The people who buy windows phones? That's what it will turn into, if they are not careful. (Yes, I do own a windows phone. No, I don't like it)

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

17 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

What do you guys think?

That might be Microsoft's plan, I guess, but the only way I can see it succeeding is if the Windows Store/UWP actually becomes an objectively better product for the developer/consumer than the alternatives. They may convince a developer or two to develop for UWP if they throw enough money at them, but that's not sustainable and they're not going to be able to snag more than a handful of exclusives like that. If Microsoft wants all developers on UWP, that will require the product to have actual merit.

I personally find it hard to believe Microsoft has such an aggressive, antagonistic view toward Valve. They've been so absent from PC gaming for so long, and now they suddenly care? Maybe, but I just find it hard to believe. The most malicious thing I can come up with that I'd actually believe is that UWP is effectively a quasi-DRM scheme to control Microsoft Studios games.

5 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

Exactly. Look how Windows RT turned out.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

The people who buy windows phones? That's what it will turn into, if they are not careful. (Yes, I do own a windows phone. No, I don't like it)

But do people buy Windows phones for gaming?

If this happens than people will all move to linux operating systems which are MUCH BETTER. Linux is free, and the only reason that my gaming pc runs Windows is because more of my games are supported on Windows.

If this happens than people will all move to linux operating systems which are MUCH BETTER. Linux is free, and the only reason that my gaming pc runs Windows is because more of my games are supported on Windows.

People buy windows phones because they are cheapish, then they realise that they're awful. The point I was making with that statement was the lack of programs/apps.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

People buy windows phones because they are cheapish, then they realise that they're awful. The point I was making with that statement was the lack of programs/apps.

Please don't comment on thing you never used, or even looked at a picture before.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, spidsepttk said:

That's not the only reason though: I would describe driver support for GPUs today as completely abysmal. It just sucks there's 0 optimization specially for previous generations of hardware.

That is something not even Valve has managed to encourage: get AMD and Nvidia off their asses to give us not proper but usable drivers in Linux since what they have today are flatout not even usable imho.

-------

Current Rig

-------

yeah, and that's exactly what will happen. No developers except for crappy mobile game people will make games for this new architecture.