Microsoft updated Word. Now writing research is a breeze.

GoodBytes

Microsoft has been actively updating Office, if you are an Office 365 subscriber that is. In similar fashion to Windows 10, Microsoft works on new features and improvements which it's released to Insiders of the Office product, and later releases to public.

A new feature that is being introduced by Microsoft for Office Word is a new built-in tool, which makes it easier to write a research papers. The feature is called Researcher, and it uses Microsoft's Bing Knowledge Graph to query content from the internet, and tries to pick trusted sources from a curated list and brings it to Word. If you add that source to your document, Word annotates it, and writes you bibliography for you.

Researcher uses Microsoft's Bing Knowledge Graph to query content from the internet and then pull it straight into Word. Microsoft has a curated list of trusted sources and reference materials which the company plans to expand upon over time. If you add source material, it will even automatically create the citation in your bibliography as part of your research paper.

It also includes a new feature called 'Editor'. It feature is more of an advanced proofing service, over the standard grammar and spelling mistake check. Look for double blue lined words.

Microsoft is also introducing a new Word Editor feature. While Word has had grammar and spellcheck features for years, this new Editor feature is more of an advanced proofing service. Microsoft is using its machine learning skills to process content, and the Editor will suggest improving your writing by flagging up words that are used too frequently. It's more of a style guide initially, but Word will start teaching you words or phrases later this year to improve your writing style. Spelling edits will still be underlined with a red squiggle, and grammar with a blue double underline, but writing style suggestions will get their own gold dotted line.

Right now the feature is only on the desktop version of Office, and the update is being released in waves as usual. Microsoft did say that they'll bring this feature to the mobile version of Office in the future.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/26/12283814/microsoft-word-researcher-editor-features

All I have to say is:

7f7d2640-1a0a-0134-9e92-0697135981d7.gif

This music...

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

This music...

RIP ears....

This seems kind of silly; like an unnecessary addition/complication for what should be an easy to use application...

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Machine learning eh? 

So for the first year it will be a bag of shit because it is using just Bing... 

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Research thing with Bing - Useless for me. I'd rather just use my browser. It will most likely be far easier to read in a browser as well. Look at how little text actually fits in that small margin.

Suggesting changes in the text - Fantastic. In before it does not work in languages other than English, making it fairly useless for me... It is a really cool feature though.

Bing?, well, I would rather split screen with my browser

Well for one it using Bing is a deathblow already, I've never managed to find anything good on it. Then there's the matter of most academic sources being locked behind paywalls that you will need access to a university or other academic network for and the fact that most people who would use this already have access to software like Endnote for free or close to nothing. Yeah, this isn't going to be used.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft has been actively updating Office, if you are an Office 365 subscriber that is. In similar fashion to Windows 10, Microsoft works on new features and improvements which it's released to Insiders of the Office product, and later releases to public.

We need an Office 365 Club Thread :). So we can show how Elite we are compared to traditional Office users.

A new feature that is being introduced by Microsoft for Office Word is a new built-in tool, which makes it easier to write a research papers. The feature is called Researcher, and it uses Microsoft's Bing Knowledge Graph to query content from the internet, and tries to pick trusted sources from a curated list and brings it to Word. If you add that source to your document, Word annotates it, and writes your biography for you.

So this isn't always 100% successful?

You make it sound like it doesn't work well :(.

It also includes a new feature called 'Editor'. It features is more of an advanced proofing service, over the standard grammar and spelling mistake check. Look for double blue lined words.

Sounds like you should have used this when typing this :D.

/jk

Right now the feature is only on the desktop version of Office, and the update is being released in waves as usual. Microsoft did say that they'll bring this feature to the mobile version of Office in the future.

That would be nice but I can understand why it came to desktop Office first.

So I take it you were/are also a fan of "The Incredibles"?

This is slightly late for me but not that late or too latexD.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Oh man... Does bibliography for you?! I think imma buy that and we're gonna get to be veerrryy good friends. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I am 35 so about 15-20 years to late for me as well.

But oh well, just adds to the current slacking of this generation as well. :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

4 hours ago, Nup said:

Oh man... Does bibliography for you?! I think imma buy that and we're gonna get to be veerrryy good friends. 

Yup. In all styles a professor/teacher may require on you: APA, Chicago, MLA, ISO 690, GB7714, GOST, SIST02, IEEE, Harvard - Anglia and Turabian

Bibliography, not biography

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

Bibliography, not biography

Oops! Sorry used the spell checker and didn't pay close attention. Thanks!

Fixed! :)

ugh, im probably still am going to be forced to use google docs

mainly because who wants to use MAC word 2008? it takes like 5m to load on a core 2 duo 512mb ram mac.

and who also wants to.. oh wait you can't run word on a chromebook.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

15 minutes ago, themctipers said:

ugh, im probably still am going to be forced to use google docs

mainly because who wants to use MAC word 2008? it takes like 5m to load on a core 2 duo 512mb ram mac.

and who also wants to.. oh wait you can't run word on a chromebook.

You have Office 2016 on Mac.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2894131/applications/first-look-office-2016-for-mac-closes-the-gap.html

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

well, i don't think my school would like it if i installed office 2016 on their macs

still running snow leopard.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

well, i don't think my school would like it if i installed office 2016 on their macs

its ruunning leopard.. not snow leopard.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

10 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Oh sorry, I thought it was your computer

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Oh sorry, I thought it was your computer

pretty sure my signature doesnt say

"Core 2 Duo (2007) iMac)

512MB DDR2? ram

500GB HDD"

xD

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.