AMD Radeon Pro SSG - a BETA product for 10000$

zMeul
24 minutes ago, MageTank said:

They wouldn't need two PLX chips. The chip they used on the Radeon Pro Duo is already a 48 lane chip, which would be plenty enough for something like this card. Such a PLX chip can easily be reworked to provide ample lanes for the GPU and two SSDs. Remember, its 16 in, 16 out, 16 mirror. M.2 SSD's that run off of PCIE x4 are 32Gbps. Plenty of extra lanes to handle that off of a single PEX8747 chip. 

Technically, if they used an on-die controller, they could bypass the 100ns PEX8747 switch latency (peak) as the card could address the slots directly. This would make it the single most complicated GPU in history, lol. 

well they would need to adress such latency i bet. Because if not, it would be putting into question how much there would be to gain vs another PCIe AIB/M.2 NVMe device.

That's some memory though being SSD still quite interesting.
...All them texture mods for this :3
Either way, I'd like to see it in works, video rendering or simply review.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Honestly, once hbm2 and it's massive capacities roll out this product is probably dead in the water. I'd like to see a test that compares this card vs having a card go to system ram instead as it usually would. If 3DxPoint m.2 drives come out it might be a little better but i still think it's a stupid idea, especially if they put this on future cards that get hotter than tiny little polaris 10.

Edit: Oh it's been confirmed that applications will need to be built using some AMD api specifically for this to work. Makes complete sense and yet that's a huge downside for it.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

5 minutes ago, Swatson said:

Honestly, once hbm2 and it's massive capacities roll out this product is probably dead in the water. I'd like to see a test that compares this card vs having a card go to system ram instead as it usually would. If 3DxPoint m.2 drives come out it might be a little better but i still think it's a stupid idea, especially if they put this on future cards that get hotter than tiny little polaris 10.

Edit: Oh it's been confirmed that applications will need to be built using some AMD api specifically for this to work. Makes complete sense and yet that's a huge downside for it.

I seriously doubt that. We already have 32GB VRAM models. Just doubling it is not enough when you can add a full Terabyte of additional storage. The projects that these cards can use, are probably far beyond 100GB. No matter how much VRAM you add, this tech will be useful until Ram and NAND fuse into the same unit. Even then it might still be useful from a price perspective.

True, but it could also be a huge plus to work directly with the future customers, so the solution gets designed in a way that is the most useful for their market.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, Notional said:

I seriously doubt that. We already have 32GB VRAM models. Just doubling it is not enough when you can add a full Terabyte of additional storage. The projects that these cards can use, are probably far beyond 100GB. No matter how much VRAM you add, this tech will be useful until Ram and NAND fuse into the same unit. Even then it might still be useful from a price perspective.

True, but it could also be a huge plus to work directly with the future customers, so the solution gets designed in a way that is the most useful for their market.

HBM will continue to advance in speed and capacity just like gddr did. Besides whats the point of 1TB of local gpu storage when it's assdragging slow compared to vram. You want to load all that shit quickly, I mean that's literally what they are "trying" to accomplish here. I just think they're trying the wrong way, at least until 3dxpoint like I said.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

15 minutes ago, Swatson said:

HBM will continue to advance in speed and capacity just like gddr did. Besides whats the point of 1TB of local gpu storage when it's assdragging slow compared to vram. You want to load all that shit quickly, I mean that's literally what they are "trying" to accomplish here. I just think they're trying the wrong way, at least until 3dxpoint like I said.

Because it's an addition to VRAM, not a replacement. These onboard SSD's will always be much faster than system storage, as it bypasses the CPU, sysram, and whatever interface+ controllers the storage is connected to, as well as never filling up the PCI lanes in the system.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

18 hours ago, zMeul said:

quote, source Anand as I posted in the OP:

scrubbing or rendering, it makes no fucking difference as the source is the same

one is doing it at 846MB/s and the other is doing it at 4590MB/s - the 2nd one is not possible to achieve without 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0

so, why didn't they used 2 NVMe SSDs in RAID0 in the 1st setup?

---

and here's why their solution is bullshit

a 16x PCIe gen 3 connection has 15,754 GB/s per direction bandwidth - thus, 1x is 984,6 MB/s

and AMD's demonstration uses 4590 MB/s - that's slightly more than a 4x gen 3 PCIe in one direction (3,938GB/s) - totally doable if we'd have SSDs that fast, as PCIe NVMe storage uses 4x PCIe connection

so yes, AMD lied and misrepresented their product once more

My god this amd release has pissed you off more than anything this year!

Anyway, to those without foam flowing from your mouths, here is the relevant section.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

an update on this: https://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Introduces-Radeon-Pro-SSG-Professional-GPU-Paired-Low-Latency-Flash-Storage-

UPDATE (July 27th, 1am ET):  More information on the Radeon Pro SSG has surfaced since the original article. According to AnandTech, the prototype graphics card actually uses an AMD Fiji GPU. The Fiji GPU is paired onboard PCI-E based storage using the same PEX8747 bridge chip used in the Radeon Pro Duo. Storage is handled by two PCI-E 3.0 x4 M.2 slots that can accommodate up to 1TB of NAND flash storage. As I mentioned below, having the storage on board the graphics card vastly reduces latency by reducing the number of hops and not having to send requests out to the rest of the system. AMD had more numbers to share following their demo, however.

From the 8K video editing demo, the dual Samsung 950 Pro PCI-E SSDs (in RAID 0) on board the Radeon Pro SSG hit 4GB/s while scrubbing through the video. That same video source stored on a Samsung 950 Pro attached to the motherboard had throughput of only 900MB/s. In theory, reaching out to system RAM still has raw throughput advantages (with DDR4 @ 3200 MHz  on a Haswell-E platform theroretically capable of 62 GB/s reads and 47 GB/s writes though that would be bottlenecked by the graphics card having to go over the PCI-E 3.0 x16 link and it's maximum of 15.754 GB/s.). Of course if you can hold it in (much smaller) GDDR5 (300+GB/s depending on clocks and memory bus width) or HBM (1TB/s) and not have to go out to any other storage tier that's ideal but not always feasible especially in the HPC world.

@Sakkura

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:05 AM, thekeemo said:

Why not normal ram? or laptop ram.

Not enough for some use cases. Sometimes professionals run out of 32GB VRAM (don't ask me how) and so they're using the SSD storage for when it runs out so it can have better performance.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

But why is it blue?

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

42 minutes ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

But why is it blue?

To differentiate it so that people aren't more confused with it's branding.

Radeon = Gaming.

Fire Pro = Professional.

Radeon Pro = Somewhere in between Radeon and Fire Pro.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Not enough for some use cases. Sometimes professionals run out of 32GB VRAM (don't ask me how) and so they're using the SSD storage for when it runs out so it can have better performance.

16gb sticks*4?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

16 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

16gb sticks*4?

Too expensive and would be not large enough nor fast enough.

6 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Too expensive and would be not large enough nor fast enough.

We are talking about a $10000 GPU here and $1000 in ssds.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

7 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

We are talking about a $10000 GPU here and $1000 in ssds.

A $10000 prototype product. Not a commercial product.

It should still resemble the final product somewhat in the config. 

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

People are kinda missing the point of using an onboard SSD over RAM or an external (to the card) drive. It is about the quantity of the memory available over the raw speed of the storage. There are rendering applications which can require up to 64GB of memory PER FRAME. At that point the limitation of the amount of memory can create such a bottleneck that it becomes more beneficial to have more memory which is slower than having a lower quantity of much faster memory.

paging @LinusTech their rendering server could utilise these babies.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

44 minutes ago, Kierax said:

paging @LinusTech their rendering server could utilise these babies.

Can you imagine?  people at LMG actually using amd cards?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

7 hours ago, ThinkWithPortals said:

But why is it blue?

Because Raja really, really, REALLY likes the color blue.

He's owned 5 cars in his life so far, all blue, named one of his kids blue in sanscrit... he REALLY likes blue!

speaking of which... you gotta problem with blue !!!!!!!!!????!!!!!!!

Blue_Lightsaber.png

1 hour ago, Sammael said:

Can you imagine?  people at LMG actually using amd cards?

@LinusTech DO ITTTTTTT

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

@LinusTech DO ITTTTTTT

I'd hate to disappoint you but Linus doesn't view individual notifications or when anybody mentions him.

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'd hate to disappoint you but Linus doesn't view individual notifications or when anybody mentions him.

Printscreen and send to his LMG contact email? yes I can be persistent.