Nikon 55-200mm VR 2

35 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

how is the nikon 55-200 vr 2 lens? i will be pairing it with a d70 but im getting a d5300 by christmas. if i order now how fast is b&h shipping?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1111441-REG/nikon_20050_nikkor_afs_dx_55_200mm.html

B&H ships same day if you order before 16:00 NYC time.  They are fairly fast, no more than 2-3 days depending on where you live.  As for the lens, I can't say, read the reviews.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

56 minutes ago, ALwin said:

B&H ships same day if you order before 16:00 NYC time.  They are fairly fast, no more than 2-3 days depending on where you live.  As for the lens, I can't say, read the reviews.

i live in ohio and i been to new york before only a 7 hour drive

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

ok i bought the lens its coming thursday. if its a 7 hour drive for me why does it take trucks 2 days? btw what do you think of the d5300?

3 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

ok i bought the lens its coming thursday. if its a 7 hour drive for me why does it take trucks 2 days? btw what do you think of the d5300?

Because the order goes to their warehouse, from which the shipping company sends it to their distribution center and then it gets routed to you.

Nikon does not tend to make bad DSLRs.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

Because the order goes to their warehouse, from which the shipping company sends it to their distribution center and then it gets routed to you.

Nikon does not tend to make bad DSLRs.

so i would be upgrading from my 10+ year old d70 to the d5300. do you think the d5300 is as good because its smaller and lighter 

Depending on what you're using it for, the different series of cameras have more advanced controls and features.

The question isn't whether or not the camera is good, rather is it good for you.

What do you shoot? Or plan to shoot

44 minutes ago, Evanair said:

Depending on what you're using it for, the different series of cameras have more advanced controls and features.

The question isn't whether or not the camera is good, rather is it good for you.

What do you shoot? O

45 minutes ago, Evanair said:

What do you shoot? Or plan to shoot

wildlife planes and stuff like that 

2 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

wildlife planes and stuff like that 

A D5300 will be OK for stuff like these, it's a good camera.  Almost any camera will do.

9 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

Erm they dont just drive a truck straight to your house, it has to be worked out with logistics into a delivery route so that one truck can deliver hundreds of parcels to hundreds of different addresses, and it has to go to a sorting office etc

they dont just send one guy with one lens on a 14 hour drive just to give you your item

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

8 hours ago, ALwin said:

A D5300 will be OK for stuff like these, it's a good camera.  Almost any camera will do.

why just ok? also why is it smaller and lighter then my d70 in reviews and stuff?

18 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

why just ok? also why is it smaller and lighter then my d70 in reviews and stuff?

I think the D70 had more metal in the camera body than the D5300 and I believe it had an in-body AF motor, that's why.  The Nikon D70 is one tier above the D5300's predecessors.  The D70 sits on the same tier as the D7x00 series of cameras.

It should be a good camera, I just have never used it myself and don't know if it has specifications that meet all of your requirements or not.

19 minutes ago, ALwin said:

I think the D70 had more metal in the camera body than the D5300 and I believe it had an in-body AF motor, that's why.  The Nikon D70 is one tier above the D5300's predecessors.  The D70 sits on the same tier as the D7x00 series of cameras.

It should be a good camera, I just have never used it myself and don't know if it has specifications that meet all of your requirements or not.

it does have a in body AF motor and my dad has a d7200 that is around the same size. the d5300 meats all my needs but i'm just worried about the weight and size difference getting used to it and stuff

DominicNikon, ALwin is saying the 5300 doesn't have an internal AF motor.  If any of your lenses focus using the AF screw, then they will be manual focus lenses on the 5300.  The 7x00 tier is where Nikon puts in the AF motor.

As for the size, it is smaller and lighter (ie... plastic) compared to the D70 series.  Check with your local camera shops that do rentals and sales, see about renting the camera from them first before you buy. 

Or... (this is kind of underhanded but not illegal), buy it from a big box store that allows returns without a restocking fee and return it after you test it.