H50 Pump noise

Hi, first post here. i recently built a new PC with an I-5 6600, GTX 970, and a Asus Z170. but a friend of mine recently gave me a corsair H50, i succesfully installed it with no problems, until i turned my PC on. i hear a faint buzzing sound and its bugging me alot, i would really appreciate some help, and no comments saying i should get a new cooler and i cant return it. Thanks.

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Do you mean that sound where it sounds like a weed whacker?  Cuz all AIOs do that with their stock fans.

no, i mean from the pump it self it has a faint buzzing sound, not the fan, i infact turned the fan off and put my ear close and the part that is attached to my CPU is buzzing. louder then a stock cpu fan, and thats just sad.

Just now, TheKingKobra said:

no, i mean from the pump it self it has a faint buzzing sound, not the fan, i infact turned the fan off and put my ear close and the part that is attached to my CPU is buzzing. louder then a stock cpu fan, and thats just sad.

Pump rattling noise probbably?

AIOs are not realy quite.

Had Kraken X31 with that annoying noise also.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Pump rattling noise probbably?

AIOs are not realy quite.

Had Kraken X31 with that annoying noise also.

actually, when i first installed it, it was virtually silent when i turned it on to test that the PC worked, so i brought it to my room and set it all up again and once i hooked it up i heard the noise, i have also read that this aio is supposed to be very quiet. Thanks so far for the responses i hope i get a fix soon!

If the noise is something you can casually hear when you look for it, then its not a problem. If its louder than the seeking noise of a HDD, probably an issue. If it can be heard over the stock fans i'd contact customer support or consider RMAing it as my h115i has like no pump noise at all even at max.

Blue screens eh? Did you try setting it to Wumbo?

Just now, Damocles said:

If the noise is something you can casually hear when you look for it, then its not a problem. If its louder than the seeking noise of a HDD, probably an issue. If it can be heard over the stock fans i'd contact customer support or consider RMAing it as my h115i has like no pump noise at all even at max.

i can hear it from the other side of my room, even with the case closed, i cant RMA it because my friend got it for free at work.

Where is it mounted?

The noise is coming from microbubbles going through the loop.

The best way to trap them and stop them moving is to mount the AiO vertically with the radiator tubing at the top side.

After a few days or weeks it should go away.

If it does not, try mounting the radiator in a different position and leave it for a few days again.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Where is it mounted?

The noise is coming from microbubbles going through the loop.

The best way to trap them and stop them moving is to mount the AiO vertically with the radiator tubing at the top side.

After a few days or weeks it should go away.

If it does not, try mounting the radiator in a different position and leave it for a few days again.

yes, the tubes are on top, i will give it a few days and if nothing works ill let you guys know, thanks.

3 minutes ago, TheKingKobra said:

i can hear it from the other side of my room, even with the case closed, i cant RMA it because my friend got it for free at work.

It was free? Gee I wonder why... (Hint hint)

yes, the tubes are on top, i will give it a few days and if nothing works ill let you guys know, thanks.

Yeah sometimes after being moved it just needs to be still for a while for it to quiet down.

My H100i takes a couple hours to a couple days after I've moved it to become silent.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Damocles said:

It was free? Gee I wonder why... (Hint hint)

lol, no he works with computers so his company gets free equipment all the time for their PCs.

6 minutes ago, TheKingKobra said:

If that's the sound it makes, I'd remove it immediately from my rig. It poses risk of failure in both leakage or pump failure. The water could be not flowing and overheat the CPU, or the motor is hitting a part of the waterblock and may cause leaks overtime. Eitherway, I will 100% not risk it. Also you cant hear air bubbles across the room, those are more like under the HDD seeking noise.

Just now, Damocles said:

If that's the sound it makes, I'd remove it immediately from my rig. It poses risk of failure in both leakage or pump failure. The water could be not flowing and overheat the CPU, or the motor is hitting a part of the waterblock and may cause leaks overtime. Eitherway, I will 100% not risk it. Also you cant hear air bubbles across the room, those are more like under the HDD seeking noise.

it sounds around the same as a hard drive noise.

it sounds around the same as a hard drive noise.

I guess my hard drives aren't normal then, as the 3.5" one is noticably louder. Maybe its dying...

Just now, Damocles said:

I guess my hard drives aren't normal then, as the 3.5" one is noticably louder. Maybe its dying...

my hard drive is only noisy when im loading agame on it or something.

my hard drive is only noisy when im loading agame on it or something.

Thats what I'm comparing to, when they're seeking. They're dead silent with aggressive lmp and irst turning them off at idle.

All of the AIO coolers that I have had have had air in them, you can hear the liquid sloshing around when you move the radiator, this can sound pretty bad if the air goes through the pump. I have always mounted the radiators flat in the top of the case to keep the air in the radiator, which keeps them quiet. I have only had one AIO which had a pump DOA. If the cooler is keeping the CPU cool, then hopefully the air will settle away from the pump and it will get better.

I did however replace the Corsair fans which were horribly noisy.

2 minutes ago, Damocles said:

If you start to hear ticking, it is counting down to its imminent death. At least that has been my experience with failing harddrives.

My h100 grinds and buzzes alday long but tempts are always perfect

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

On 7/24/2016 at 11:45 PM, Damocles said:

So, the day after the post was formed, there was a humming noise from the radiator, i then flipped the rad and its all silent but the cpu block is still making a static noise, should i flip it too? if i do do i need to reapply thermal paste?

So, the day after the post was formed, there was a humming noise from the radiator, i then flipped the rad and its all silent but the cpu block is still making a static noise, should i flip it too? if i do do i need to reapply thermal paste?

As a myth, you need to reapply, as a fact, there is no difference and reapplying is just you wasting paste.

1 minute ago, Damocles said:

As a myth, you need to reapply, as a fact, there is no difference and reapplying is just you wasting paste.

ok thanks, but should i flip it?

I have no clue. flipping the pump in theory makes no difference

When you said you flipped the rad. do you mean it was horizontal and you flipped it so that the tubes were from top side now made down side?

2 minutes ago, Damocles said:

When you said you flipped the rad. do you mean it was horizontal and you flipped it so that the tubes were from top side now made down side?

yes

Cool because that makes sense. When you drink from a straw and the other end is about the water line, you hear slurping noises. Having the tubes on the lower end of the radiator is like having the straw completely submerged at the bottom making it whisper silent. Funny how none of us caught that, but flipping your pump won't have this affect.