Thoughts on The Titan Xp, Is the Upgrade Worth it?

My current system has 2x 980tis and I'm trying to decide what I should do. Is it worth upgrading to a pair of Titan Xps that are coming out soon? My main concern is the potential 1080ti with HBM gen 2 coming out some time over the next couple months and with the the faster faster memory, performing better and making the titan obsolete. Or will the faster memory not even make much of a difference? Also by the fact that it seems like its still a slightly cut down version of the GP102 chip. Is something else going to come out with the fully unlocked version? Aside from gaming I also use GPUs for 3D rendering, so whatever I get will be utilized to its fullest. This is also why I haven't considered the gtx 1080, when it comes to creative applications and usage outside of gaming, they're not much of an upgrade to the 980ti. So all things considered, Is the Titan Xp a stupid purchase? Or is it like, "yeah its not the best bang for your buck but if you want the best its worth it"?

No

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

A big simple NO,we all know the 1080Ti will come for a much lower price with the same performance while overclocking better and running cooler

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

If you have to ask if it's worth it, it's not worth it.

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

A big simple NO,we all know the 1080Ti will come for a much lower price with the same performance while overclocking better and running cooler

We were all impressed with the 980 ti, but let's not expect that to happen again. Let's expect a good card and hope it's another 980 ti, but never be certain of things we don't yet know.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

9 minutes ago, Dresta said:

Yeah that's why I mentioned the thing about 3D rendering, because the Titan X was substantially faster than the 980ti in that type of workload.

This is assuming that the GTX 1080Ti even exists. The Titan XP is already cut down, so expect a further cut down card to only have 3072-3200 cores, which isn't that much more than the GTX 1080. Plus, very unlikely for NVIDIA to release a HBM2 card for the enthusiasts since that's pretty much exclusive to GP100/Teslas, which are solely focused on computing and not the likes of gaming.

So yes, it's a 'not the best bang for your buck but if you want the best its worth it' card.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

Yeah that's why I mentioned the thing about 3D rendering, because the Titan X was substantially faster than the 980ti in that type of workload.

Really?

... There's no reason for it to be, where did you see that?

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

This is assuming that the GTX 1080Ti even exists. The Titan XP is already cut down, so expect a further cut down card to only have 3072-3200 cores, which isn't that much more than the GTX 1080. Plus, very unlikely for NVIDIA to release a HBM2 card for the enthusiasts since that's pretty much exclusive to GP100/Teslas, which are solely focused on computing and not the likes of gaming.

So yes, it's a 'not the best bang for your buck but if you want the best its worth it' card.

Where did you see that? the Titan series is far from the GTX series,the Titan series is MADE to beat the GTX series in workloads,but the GTX Ti series are close

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

My Motivation

Just now, Dresta said:

Where did you see that? the Titan series is far from the GTX series,the Titan series is MADE to beat the GTX series in workloads,but the GTX Ti series are close

Should I remind you of Kepler? The 780TI beat the OG Titan.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Should I remind you of Kepler? The 780TI beat the OG Titan.

The Titan series is far from the GTX series in terms of use,thats why the Titan had 2x the VRAM for content creation...Kepler is lost why compare it?

My Motivation

2 minutes ago, Dresta said:

The Titan series is far from the GTX series in terms of use,thats why the Titan had 2x the VRAM for content creation...Kepler is lost why compare it?

It may seem like a long gap, but the 780 ti directly preceded the 980 ti. They're the only two x80 ti cards we have for comparison.

2 minutes ago, Dresta said:

Kepler preceded Maxwell and released in 2013. That's hardly lost.

Spoiler

I highly doubt the 1080Ti will have HBM. If that's why you're waiting for it, I think you'll be disappointed.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't see a 1080ti coming, no way they could sell a 6g card for more than the 8g 1080. And if they kept the 12g of GDDR5X memory then they'd have to cut the chip so far down it wouldn't beat a 1080 in performance. 

Get the Pascal Titan X if you want it, if the benchmarks check out I am.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

I don't see a 1080ti coming, no way they could sell a 6g card for more than the 8g 1080. And if they kept the 12g of GDDR5X memory then they'd have to cut the chip so far down it wouldn't beat a 1080 in performance. 

... Why would they give it 6GB?

12 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

It may seem like a long gap, but the 780 ti directly preceded the 980 ti. They're the only two x80 ti cards we have for comparison.

And soon the 1080Ti will come

10 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Kepler preceded Maxwell and released in 2013. That's hardly lost.

Kepler is lost,who in todays standards is gonna go back to Kepler when we have Maxwell and soon Pascal

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Who knows maybe they give the Titan 24gb of VRAM (very low) and just cut down the 1080Ti to 12gb of VRAM and done

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

... Why would they give it 6GB?

if they cut the memory in half, 12/2 is 6. 

You do know how the memory works right?

Just now, App4that said:

if they cut the memory in half, 12/2 is 6. 

You do know how the memory works right?

You think they're more likely to give up on the entire card than adjust an insignificant part of the formula?

There's plenty of room between the 1080 and the Titan XP.

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

You think they're more likely to give up on the entire card than adjust an insignificant part of the formula?

There's plenty of room between the 1080 and the Titan XP.

No there isn't xD 

The Pascal Titan X beats a Maxwell Titan X by 60%. How much does a 1080 beat a Maxwell Titan X by? Hmmm?

11 minutes ago, App4that said:

No there isn't xD 

The Pascal Titan X beats a Maxwell Titan X by 60%. How much does a 1080 beat a Maxwell Titan X by? Hmmm?

Well, first of all, we can only assume how the thing performs as of yet.

Second, if we're talking spec numbers, there's room to put the 1080 ti roughly 500 cores above the 1080 and below the Titan XP, which is the difference between the 1070 and 1080.

Finally, Nvidia showed with the 980 ti that they're perfectly comfortable with a <10% performance gap.

1 minute ago, Dash Lambda said:

Well, first of all, we can only assume how the thing performance as of yet.

Second, if we're talking spec numbers, there's room to put the 1080 ti roughly 500 cores above the 1080 and below the Titan XP, which is the difference between the 1070 and 1080.

Finally, Nvidia showed with the 980 ti that they're perfectly comfortable with a <10% performance gap.

They were comfortable with a 980ti with half the memory of the Titan X. Do you really think Nvidia will sell the Pascal Titan X with all its memory and slightly cut down chip for significantly less as a 1080ti? Maybe after Vega, but then how much is the wait worth it to you? Time is money.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

They were comfortable with a 980ti with half the memory of the Titan X. Do you really think Nvidia will sell the Pascal Titan X with all its memory and slightly cut down chip for significantly less as a 1080ti? Maybe after Vega, but then how much is the wait worth it to you? Time is money.

Why are the only options 6GB and 12GB of memory? Why can't it have 8GB, or even 10GB?

32 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Why are the only options 6GB and 12GB of memory? Why can't it have 8GB, or even 10GB?

Memory controller. Look at every graphics card, even the infamous 970. You just can't  tac on any number willy nilly. 

Perfict example, the 1060 has 6g of memory. Why not 8? When the rumors of a cheaper version surfaced why 3g? Wouldn't it be 4g? Nope, you have to work with the controllers on the chip.

Just now, App4that said:

Memory controller. Look at every graphics card, even the infamous 970. You just can tac on any number willy nilly. 

I think they're a bit more versatile than that. How do you know it can't support 10GB? (I don't know much about that specifically, so I'm genuinely curious)

Also, if that's the concern, why wouldn't 8GB work?

1 hour ago, MAMAs_b0y said:

My current system has 2x 980tis and I'm trying to decide what I should do. Is it worth upgrading to a pair of Titan Xps that are coming out soon? My main concern is the potential 1080ti with HBM gen 2 coming out some time over the next couple months and with the the faster faster memory, performing better and making the titan obsolete. Or will the faster memory not even make much of a difference? Also by the fact that it seems like its still a slightly cut down version of the GP102 chip. Is something else going to come out with the fully unlocked version? Aside from gaming I also use GPUs for 3D rendering, so whatever I get will be utilized to its fullest. This is also why I haven't considered the gtx 1080, when it comes to creative applications and usage outside of gaming, they're not much of an upgrade to the 980ti. So all things considered, Is the Titan Xp a stupid purchase? Or is it like, "yeah its not the best bang for your buck but if you want the best its worth it"?

why do you want a card that is only good on windows xp and the max res is 800x600 .:D  this  joke never gets old . this is the best naming for a card . real response buy 2 1080's or wait for the ti in 6months- year to drop .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS