New PC (Help)

Specs:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bpsZf8
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/bpsZf8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($56.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($79.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card  ($369.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.13 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1199.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 19:11 EDT-0400

Is this a good selection for a gaming computer that could run some AAA games as well as watch streams and videos while not playing? My laptop died and I thought that I would build a computer instead of buying a new laptop. I had a previous post helping me put together and learn about parts but i made some changes. I had a budget of 1500 but still needed to buy a Keyboard, Mouse, and Monitor. All suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Forgot To mention that I wanted to buy some fans and did not know how many or what type I would need for the case I picked

Edited by DoubleJDog1218

Persoanlly, going of the most important components it looks fine, some people might say a few things like suggest a different processor or wait until the new titan comes out but it in all fairness it will be solid for well made games.

Like every other gamer be aware some games are just going to be horrifically optimized

Edit: whatever you plan on spending you may want to take 100 off for overhead and other things that can go wrong/ you forgetting.

also when you get a pc as good as that your going to want a decent keyboard you like and some headphones

You have a locked CPU so you cannot overclock. If you don't want to overclock, I'd remove the cooler and get a cheaper motherboard.

Switch the i5-6600 to a 6600K and you're good

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

13 minutes ago, DoubleJDog1218 said:

snip

Do you intend on overclocking your CPU? If you don't, you could save yourself some money by getting an H170 board instead of a Z170 board, you could get a much smaller/less expensive cooler (even something like a cryorig H7, hyper 212 EVO, or coolermaster T4 if you don't want to go with a stock intel fan).

If you DO want to overclock, spend the extra 20 bucks and get the 6600k. the 6600 cannot overclock, and you're going to be leaving alot of performance on the table if you don't invest in the K version of your CPU.

The only other thing left is that I would recommend getting a 1070 instead of the 980ti If you can. I know they are about the same performance as far as raw fps goes right now, but the 1070 edges out slightly ahead, and its far superior technology and features is going to make it well worth it going forward. (Nothing against the 980ti, I have one myself and its great, but the 1070 is the better option if you can afford it)

But yes, this system you have suggested will easily handle any AAA you throw its way at 1080p or 1440p @ 60hz.

If you are going to be using a 1080p monitor then a GTX 1060 or RX 480 would save you some cash. Also as mentioned above, a cheaper motherboard would be better if you are going with a non 'k' cpu.

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Do you intend on overclocking your CPU? If you don't, you could save yourself some money by getting an H170 board instead of a Z170 board, you could get a much smaller/less expensive cooler (even something like a cryorig H7, hyper 212 EVO, or coolermaster T4 if you don't want to go with a stock intel fan).

If you DO want to overclock, spend the extra 20 bucks and get the 6600k. the 6600 cannot overclock, and you're going to be leaving alot of performance on the table if you don't invest in the K version of your CPU.

The only other thing left is that I would recommend getting a 1070 instead of the 980ti If you can. I know they are about the same performance as far as raw fps goes right now, but the 1070 edges out slightly ahead, and its far superior technology and features is going to make it well worth it going forward. (Nothing against the 980ti, I have one myself and its great, but the 1070 is the better option if you can afford it)

But yes, this system you have suggested will easily handle any AAA you throw its way at 1080p or 1440p @ 60hz.

I would like to overclock my CPU Can you direct me to a page on the fourms about it or a youtube video?

Also with all this in account the new setup is:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n4yXvV
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/n4yXvV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($237.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($56.69 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($79.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($90.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card  ($429.99 @ NCIX US) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1262.40
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 20:40 EDT-0400

12 minutes ago, DoubleJDog1218 said:

Snip

Okay that looks like a perfect build! You COULD always go back down to that cheaper 980ti if you find you cannot budget for your peripherals, but like I said earlier, the 1070 is the better long term option.

Linus a perfect overclocking guide for you:

He uses the Z170 Deluxe board here and a 6700k, but your Z170-A will have a bios that is pretty much identical, and the 6600k will follow the same steps to overclock as the 6700k.