Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juggernautilus

ThinkPad T430s 350 Euros worth it?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi. In a month I will start studies at a university and I definitely will need a laptop. Some models I've looked through cost around 550 euros (i5, 1080p, discreet gpu) which is borderline expensive for me.

 

I looked at some second hand options and found this guy selling his Lenovo ThinkPad T430s for 350 Euros. He also states that it's the final price. The laptop is 4 years old but it was high end at the time and cost around 1700 Euros. Still looks pretty decent and has some premium functions like i7 CPU (ivy bridge though), SSD, build quality and nice keyboard it has. The only disadvantages I see is that it has only 180 GB SSD with no HDD storage and no discreet GPU but I can live with it as long as it can run Rocket League and League of Legends maybe.

 

Would you buy this laptop as a student or should I look for other, newer options? Is the price appropriate?

 

Thanks!!


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Juggernautilus said:

Hi. In a month I will start studies at a university and I definitely will need a laptop. Some models I've looked through cost around 550 euros (i5, 1080p, discreet gpu) which is borderline expensive for me.

 

I looked at some second hand options and found this guy selling his Lenovo ThinkPad T430s for 350 Euros. He also states that it's the final price. The laptop is 4 years old but it was high end at the time and cost around 1700 Euros. Still looks pretty decent and has some premium functions like i7 CPU (ivy bridge though), SSD, build quality and nice keyboard it has. The only disadvantages I see is that it has only 180 GB SSD with no HDD storage and no discreet GPU but I can live with it as long as it can run Rocket League and League of Legends maybe.

 

Would you buy this laptop as a student or should I look for other, newer options? Is the price appropriate?

 

Thanks!!

If its just a school laptop then Lenovo Thinkpads gotcha covered.

 

I just purchased one off of newegg for a good deal of 189$ It was the T420. But they last a long time, due to their extensive battery. And Just being really a work laptop.


I got the best Waifu a man could ever ask for Lieselotte Sherlock is my girl ( in my profile pic ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

If its just a school laptop then Lenovo Thinkpads gotcha covered.

 

I just purchased one off of newegg for a good deal of 189$ It was the T420. But they last a long time, due to their extensive battery. And Just being really a work laptop.

Do you think 350 Euros is a justified price for a 4 year old laptop? Take into consideration that everything is more expensive here in Europe.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Juggernautilus said:

Do you think 350 Euros is a justified price for a 4 year old laptop? Take into consideration that everything is more expensive here in Europe.

propbably not. Try finding like a 2013 or 2014 laptop, around that price


I got the best Waifu a man could ever ask for Lieselotte Sherlock is my girl ( in my profile pic ) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Juggernautilus said:

Do you think 350 Euros is a justified price for a 4 year old laptop? Take into consideration that everything is more expensive here in Europe.

Hell yes. T series are the highest end business laptop available. When it came out, that thing was worth 4 times that amount or more. It's a good deal.


Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Though Rocket League or LoL won't really run on intel HD 4000 :/

It's a good work/school machine - poor gaming laptop


Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

 

I have a 5 year old entry level Asus laptop with HD 3000 at home that is barely running but it still can run League of Legends and Rocket League on minimum settings. That's all I need basically.


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juggernautilus said:

I have a 5 year old entry level Asus laptop with HD 3000 at home that is barely running but it still can run League of Legends and Rocket League on minimum settings. That's all I need basically.

Hmm, I guess the difference between Sandy and Ivy is big since I've tried running them on HD 3000 and that failed miserably.


Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, don_svetlio said:

Hmm, I guess the difference between Sandy and Ivy is big since I've tried running them on HD 3000 and that failed miserably.

Well, gaming isn't #1 priority for me anyways so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to run games.

 


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Juggernautilus said:

Well, gaming isn't #1 priority for me anyways so I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to run games.

 

Then take it. One thing I know, Ivy CPUs are the most efficient CPUs Intel have ever made. The power draw is extremely low and the heat output is negligible. It will be cool and quiet.


Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Then take it. One thing I know, Ivy CPUs are the most efficient CPUs Intel have ever made. The power draw is extremely low and the heat output is negligible. It will be cool and quiet.

That's great. To add to gaming topic, I found this video on of someone playing Skyrim on the exact same model so I can't see why it shouldn't be capable or running Rocket League. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtT9fEp7x8s

 

I think I've decided to buy this while it's still available. If anyone has anything else to add, please comment!


 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Juggernautilus said:

That's great. To add to gaming topic, I found this video on of someone playing Skyrim on the exact same model so I can't see why it shouldn't be capable or running Rocket League. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtT9fEp7x8s

 

I think I've decided to buy this while it's still available. If anyone has anything else to add, please comment!

I'd like to add that ThinkPads are awesome :D


Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just you wait until you try the keyboard, it is amazing and a T430s could go up to $2k when it was new, maybe even more


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills, Focal Elex

DAC and AMP: Dual PCM63k tube DAC, RME ADI 2 DAC, Cavalli Tube Hybrid

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×