Opinions on Ultrawide/Super Ultrawide Upgrade

Hi, I'm looking to maybe upgrade my PC to be able to use an Ultrawide Monitor. But I'm worried if the change is worth it. (I mean ultrawide is so expansive) and what would games in 16:9 (Like Overwatch who doesn't support ultrawide last time I checked) but on the other side game like the Witcher 3 must look so amazing. And for productivity a ultrawide must be really great. I would like to have your opinions on Ultrawide, your experiences etc. 
And finally, should I wait for the 1080ti to make an ultrawide? 
Thank you very much in advance! 

7 minutes ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

Hi, I'm looking to maybe upgrade my PC to be able to use an Ultrawide Monitor. But I'm worried if the change is worth it. (I mean ultrawide is so expansive) and what would games in 16:9 (Like Overwatch who doesn't support ultrawide last time I checked) but on the other side game like the Witcher 3 must look so amazing. And for productivity a ultrawide must be really great. I would like to have your opinions on Ultrawide, your experiences etc. 
And finally, should I wait for the 1080ti to make an ultrawide? 
Thank you very much in advance! 

I believe the GTX 1080 itself can provide ample horse-power to run an Ultrawide, if you turn down a few dials in the graphics settings, that won't have any tangible effect on the visual experience at all! As you yourself said, Ultrawide displays are fabulous for productivity too! If you are comfortable with upgrading, then I'd say  Go for it!

Nothing to see here ;)

Had a ultrawide 32inch 1440p Lg (gave it to my son) Loved it . The extra viewing angles really made the games much more immersive. The black bars you will get on some games will not bother you after a while.

Worth the money.

I got a LG 29inch ultrawide from Best buy for $250. Was on sale and is on 2560x1080. So its 33% more pixels your GPU has to push. A 1070 would be enough to run this monitor which I am thinking of getting. A 1080Ti (If Nvidia has plans for one) would be overkill unless you are going to be on 1440p. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

I believe the GTX 1080 itself can provide ample horse-power to run an Ultrawide, if you turn down a few dials in the graphics settings, that won't have any tangible effect on the visual experience at all! As you yourself said, Ultrawide displays are fabulous for productivity too! If you are comfortable with upgrading, then I'd say  Go for it!

What ultrawide would you suggest? 3440 or 2560? And what model? Thank you for your opinion :)

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

I got a LG 29inch ultrawide from Best buy for $250. Was on sale and is on 2560x1080. So its 33% more pixels your GPU has to push. A 1070 would be enough to run this monitor which I am thinking of getting. A 1080Ti (If Nvidia has plans for one) would be overkill unless you are going to be on 1440p. 

I plan more on going for maybe 1440p at the moment i have a 970 but i plan to upgrade to the 10 series.

Just now, Halo Spartan128 said:

I plan more on going for maybe 1440p at the moment i have a 970 but i plan to upgrade to the 10 series.

A GTX 1070-1080 would be plenty for 1440 when you go for it in the future. A 970 would be cutting it, especially its 3.5GB VRAM. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I do not believe it is worth it, for the pure fact that not enough games support it to warrant the cost. Get yourself a nice 1440p high refresh panel, or a 4k panel.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

2 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Look at this 29" 1080p Ultrawide IPS Freesync monitor

$125 omg what a ripoff

Combine with an RX 480 and its a bank breaking $375 combo for that silky smooth ultrawide experience

Too damn expensive

Sadly im canadian so yeah.... Rip good prices xD 

14 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I do not believe it is worth it, for the pure fact that not enough games support it to warrant the cost. Get yourself a nice 1440p high refresh panel, or a 4k panel.

I don't know how I feel with 4k. I try to keep a balance between resolution, graphics and FPS. 4k is all about the resolution and have to sacrifice FPS or Graphics. (If you don't want to pay more than anultrawide screen in GPU's) I'm not sure about this one I almost bought a 4k screen, but I started to watch ultrawide and I think I prefer that. 

Just now, Halo Spartan128 said:

I don't know how I feel with 4k. I try to keep a balance between resolution, graphics and FPS. 4k is all about the resolution and have to sacrifice FPS or Graphics. (If you don't want to pay more than anultrawide screen in GPU's) I'm not sure about this one I almost bought a 4k screen, but I started to watch ultrawide and I think I prefer that. 

I prefer Ultrawide over 4K too, it's just a shame about the support. It's sort of like SLI and Crossfire, it is awesome when it works, but it doesn't always have great support.

It is purely a personal choice, get it from a place where you can return it if you are not happy with it within 30 days, that way you have some time to experiment with the monitor and see what the support is like for your favorite games.

Just now, iiNNeX said:

I prefer Ultrawide over 4K too, it's just a shame about the support. It's sort of like SLI and Crossfire, it is awesome when it works, but it doesn't always have great support.

It is purely a personal choice, get it from a place where you can return it if you are not happy with it within 30 days, that way you have some time to experiment with the monitor and see what the support is like for your favorite games.

Then you exactly have the same feeling about it than me. And also have the Same idea. I think I'm going to Buy the P348Q (If I have to try one why not try one of the best xD) from Best Buy with a price match and a return policy of 30 days (For free) So I can try it. I'mdeeply worried about the support. But I know it's possible to play with the black parts on the side if it's really needed. 
How do you feel about your PG279Q its one of the others, I'm looking for if Super Ultrawide doesn't do the trick :) 

1 minute ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

Then you exactly have the same feeling about it than me. And also have the Same idea. I think I'm going to Buy the P348Q (If I have to try one why not try one of the best xD) from Best Buy with a price match and a return policy of 30 days (For free) So I can try it. I'mdeeply worried about the support. But I know it's possible to play with the black parts on the side if it's really needed. 
How do you feel about your PG279Q its one of the others, I'm looking for if Super Ultrawide doesn't do the trick :) 

I was looking at exchanging my 9Q for a Ultrawide too, we seem to have very similar taste :) The problem as I outlined earlier is after some forum reviews it looks like the support is not as good as I like. The black bars would ruin the immersion for me, and I don't want to spend so much money on something that potentially won't work properly on all my games. I play new and old games though so that heavily affected my decision. If you just play new AAA titles you will probably be fine most of the time.

As far as the PG279Q I bloody love it, I will really miss the 165hz if it does go, and the colours are spot on. It has no heavy IPS glow like the 8Q and i love the amount of settings it has. I've had it for 8 months now and couldn't fault it :)

Just now, Anand_Geforce said:

If you can afford it, definitely the 3440x1440 displays... The LGUM95-P is a good choice http://pcpartpicker.com/product/463RsY/lg-monitor-34um95p

In my research i prefer the 3440x1440 displays. But should i really take this screen or a PG348Q? (The LG Picture by Picture options interest me) but in canada the PG348Q is """"only"""""""" 400$ more and way more widely available. I mean i can only find the LGUM95-P on Amazon.ca with 1 in stock from a third party seller.  

7 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

I was looking at exchanging my 9Q for a Ultrawide too, we seem to have very similar taste :) The problem as I outlined earlier is after some forum reviews it looks like the support is not as good as I like. The black bars would ruin the immersion for me, and I don't want to spend so much money on something that potentially won't work properly on all my games. I play new and old games though so that heavily affected my decision. If you just play new AAA titles you will probably be fine most of the time.

As far as the PG279Q I bloody love it, I will really miss the 165hz if it does go, and the colours are spot on. It has no heavy IPS glow like the 8Q and i love the amount of settings it has. I've had it for 8 months now and couldn't fault it :)

I do play alot of old games/somewhat recent games to so im worried about that to. But the black bars wont really "ruin" the immersion because we can't even get the immersion if we think about it. :P But yes we do have very similar taste because i feel exactly like everything you said :P (Also the 165hz refresh rate its pretty attractive to me also xD) So many options when you have a pc ^^ 

56 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

A GTX 1070-1080 would be plenty for 1440 when you go for it in the future. A 970 would be cutting it, especially its 3.5GB VRAM. 

*4.0GB

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

*4.0GB

We wont start a Gtx 970 RAM Issue war here :3 

5 hours ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

We wont start a Gtx 970 RAM Issue war here :3 

Good idea :>

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

10 hours ago, Halo Spartan128 said:

In my research i prefer the 3440x1440 displays. But should i really take this screen or a PG348Q? (The LG Picture by Picture options interest me) but in canada the PG348Q is """"only"""""""" 400$ more and way more widely available. I mean i can only find the LGUM95-P on Amazon.ca with 1 in stock from a third party seller.  

I believe the PG348Q is the undisputed best 3440x1440 display. But I didn't suggest buying that because it's terribly expensive... But if you are comfortable with buying it, hey, what's stopping you?! GET IT NOW! :)

On a side-note: The Acer Predator X34 is exactly the same as PG348Q spec-wise, other than very few minor differences, so you might as well get that if it's cheaper (which it is in my country)...

Nothing to see here ;)

On 24/07/2016 at 9:27 PM, Anand_Geforce said:

I believe the PG348Q is the undisputed best 3440x1440 display. But I didn't suggest buying that because it's terribly expensive... But if you are comfortable with buying it, hey, what's stopping you?! GET IT NOW! :)

On a side-note: The Acer Predator X34 is exactly the same as PG348Q spec-wise, other than very few minor differences, so you might as well get that if it's cheaper (which it is in my country)...

Im not ready to buy but i want it so bad! xD Its cheaper for the pg348q in Canada/Quebec :) As i said before its the support for Super Ultrawide who worries me the most... 1600$ for not being able to use it on all games? Isssssh. 

But its still a fantastic screen/resolution when the support its here.... 

I just found the best offer to go ultrawide i think­. (All the prices will be in CAD) 

This guy would be ready to sell me a

Lg 34UM95 34" 2K ultrawide (3440x1440) Like New(800$ CAD) 

Asus vg248qe 24"  Like new (270$)

Vizio 43" 4K tv Smart 120hz  like new (450$)

Or all for 1200$ CAD Or less (Open to nego) 

What the hell should i jump in?