GTX 1060 future proof ?

I don't have a PC at the moment and building a whole desktop setup from scratch. So should I go with the GTX 1060 now or wait 5 or 6 months and buy the GTX 1070.

If the 1060 can run games at 60FPS 1080p max to very high settings for next 3 to 5 years I am more than happy with a 1060. But will it ?

I wouldn't count on nvidia cards for longevity. The 780Ti is in a pretty sorry state right now, and i'm willing to bet it will be the same story for the 900 and 1000 series in a few years.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

3 minutes ago, Flitter said:

I wouldn't count on nvidia cards for longevity. The 780Ti is in a pretty sorry state right now, and i'm willing to bet it will be the same story for the 900 and 1000 series in a few years.

The 780 ti isn't really in that much of a sorry state. While it is true that it's performance hasn't increased throughout the years it still is pretty damn good card.

You can't SLI 1060 even if you wanted to so it's hard to say about the future proof part.

Yes it will if you keep playing in 1080p. Performance won't decrease of a videocard over time, especially from nvidia. Less heat, noise and powerconsumption and fps will be the same

5 minutes ago, Flitter said:

Okay. Actually this is my first proper gaming PC build. Actually its the first PC I am getting for myself. My friend uses a 750ti and he says he can get 70 fps ish on high to very high settings . I play Rainbow Six Siege mainly while I get barely 40 fps on lowest possible settings on 840M card on the laptop. 

5 minutes ago, Ichi said:

You can't SLI 1060 even if you wanted to so it's hard to say about the future proof part.

I have no interest in an SLI. The only upgrade I plan to do is increase ram from 8 to 16 in a year or so

2 minutes ago, AnandDev said:

I have no interest in an SLI. The only upgrade I play to do is increase ram from 8 to 16 in a year or so

The thing is if it can no longer push frames to your liking, you will have to change to a new card altogether instead of getting another one and SLI it.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

If it is for now then yes, 1080p60 is a breeze, but you're aiming 3 to 5 years later so who knows.

1 minute ago, Ichi said:

The thing is if it can no longer push frames to your liking, you will have to change to a new card altogether instead of getting another one and SLI it.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

So what about the RX 480. Nvidia has the games optimised for their cards so AMD cards always have hard time. And features like shadow play and ANSEL seems really great to use. 

8 hours ago, david cassar said:

The 780 ti isn't really in that much of a sorry state. While it is true that it's performance hasn't increased throughout the years it still is pretty damn good card.

Maybe, but it hasn't aged as well as the AMD counterparts, which seems to be the case every generation, and if he's planning to have a GPU for 3-5 years, a GCN based card would probably age better

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

If your not planning to upgrade your card in ~2-3 years a 1060 would do fine but if you would like to upgrade the only way you can would then be to buy a whole new card and unless you have a second pc to put your card in, your card will basically lose all its value.

So onto what you really want to know, there is no way to actually tell if the 1060 will be able to run games at max to high settings for more than 3 years because the 1060 doesn't support dx12.

so i wouldn't buy the 1060 i would either save a bit more for the 1070 or go with the rx480 (which can also run games at max/high at 1080p) and in a year or so get another one and crossfire it.

but basically its all up to what you want and how safe you want to be.

ps. only reason i don't recommend the 1060 is because it doesn't support sli and dx12

10 hours ago, | Rembo | said:

If your not planning to upgrade your card in ~2-3 years a 1060 would do fine but if you would like to upgrade the only way you can would then be to buy a whole new card and unless you have a second pc to put your card in, your card will basically lose all its value.

So onto what you really want to know, there is no way to actually tell if the 1060 will be able to run games at max to high settings for more than 3 years because the 1060 doesn't support dx12.

so i wouldn't buy the 1060 i would either save a bit more for the 1070 or go with the rx480 (which can also run games at max/high at 1080p) and in a year or so get another one and crossfire it.

but basically its all up to what you want and how safe you want to be.

ps. only reason i don't recommend the 1060 is because it doesn't support sli and dx12

What do you mean by it doesn't support DX12 ? All the new cards support DX12 as far I know

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dx12/supported-gpus

7 minutes ago, AnandDev said:

What do you mean by it doesn't support DX12 ? All the new cards support DX12 as far I know

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dx12/supported-gpus

Ignore him on the DX12 part.

I would agree on this point though.

10 hours ago, | Rembo | said:

I wouldn't buy the 1060 i would either save a bit more for the 1070 or go with the rx480 (which can also run games at max/high at 1080p) and in a year or so get another one and crossfire it.

But I know you would be reluctant to go the amd route as you would like to have the new features that comes with pascal gpu so your choice is just to save up for 1070.

19 minutes ago, Ichi said:

Ignore him on the DX12 part.

I would agree on this point though.

But I know you would be reluctant to go the amd route as you would like to have the new features that comes with pascal gpu so your choice is just to save up for 1070.

Well ShadowPlay is the only Nvidia feature i like, else i like AMD card for their low cost ( no picking sides blatantly , don't start a war )

Well now thinking about it , if AMD gets some decent enough board partner cards at around 159$ for the 8GB version of RX 480 i think that woul dbe better option , so i can keep crossfire as an option down the road .

Why the fuck did Nvidia remove SLI. So much trouble for budget users :(

1 minute ago, AnandDev said:

Well ShadowPlay is the only Nvidia feature i like, else i like AMD card for their low cost ( no picking sides blatantly , don't start a war )

Well now thinking about it , if AMD gets some decent enough board partner cards at around 159$ for the 8GB version of RX 480 i think that woul dbe better option , so i can keep crossfire as an option down the road .

Coz 1060 SLI will beat single 1080 anyday, they don't want to hurt the 1080 sales.

If you don't mind the RX480 then yea, definitely get that.

Easily crossfire it in another 2-3 years and you're good to go for the 3-5 years you're aiming for.

• 1 month later...
On 25 July 2016 at 11:53 AM, AnandDev said:

Lol!!! You guys, i have the MSI gtx 1060 Gaming X 6G and an i5-6600. I get 120+ FPS in Rainbow Six Siege consistently. On Ultra Preset as well.

This is on 1080p. I love my 1060 and I am pretty sure it will last you 3 years. P.S what decision did you make??