Mistakes were made

Now its time to showcase the horrible train wreck that was my first pc build!

Mobo: gigabyte GA 990 FXA UD3 R5 (Cant overclock worth a shit on it and its very expensive for the very few features it has)

Processor: I started with an FX 6300 and when that wasnt enough power for me I upgraded to the 8350, instead of taking the 160 and buying skylake (Yes I know how to get an I3 mobo and ram for 160 dont believe me just note me) And to this day I regret both decisions.

Graphics card: MSI R9 380 4GB (Dont even need the extra two gigabytes and sadly I will never experience Nvidias 3D which I do really want.)

Ram: G.Skill ripjaws 1600 Mhz 2x4GB (the only thing I did right XD)

PSU: Cooler master 550w (yea really I'm surprised it still works)

Storage: WD black 1TB (No SSD, not kidding.)

I am now about to get a job at Burger King to fix all of these mistakes and maybe sell my old parts to another looser. (I doubt anybody in their right mind would want them)

Motherboard is fine. Why can't you overclock?

CPU upgraded is fine, but not the best choice.

Graphics card is good

RAM is good.

Unknown PSU, can you go into more detail? what is the model?

HDD is fine.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Motherboard is fine. Why can't you overclock?

CPU upgraded is fine, but not the best choice.

Graphics card is good

RAM is good.

Unknown PSU, can you go into more detail? what is the model?

HDD is fine.

the PSU is the elite V2 from cooler master.

And please, dont try to tell me my rig is fine its overpriced garbage I could've built one better for cheaper if I wasnt in such a rush.

The processor just cant get stable at reasonable voltages, it happened to my 6300 and my 8350 so it cant be the processors.

Just now, ArmswieldTheHero said:

the PSU is the elite V2 from cooler master.

And please, dont try to tell me my rig is fine its overpriced garbage I could've built one better for cheaper if I wasnt in such a rush.

The processor just cant get stable at reasonable voltages, it happened to my 6300 and my 8350 so it cant be the processors.

Your rig is fine. It doesn't matter if you over paid for it last week or 3 years ago, you are not going to get that money back. It is still an okay gaming computer (other than the boxed fire of the PSU)

What voltages were you putting the CPU at?

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Your rig is fine. It doesn't matter if you over paid for it last week or 3 years ago, you are not going to get that money back. It is still an okay gaming computer (other than the boxed fire of the PSU)

What voltages were you putting the CPU at?

I'm running it at stock turbo (overclocked to always be at turbo) because even a slight overclock (4.3Ghz) requires somewhere in the range of 1.45 volts, which is ridiculous nonesense.

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I'm running it at stock turbo (overclocked to always be at turbo) because even a slight overclock (4.3Ghz) requires somewhere in the range of 1.45 volts, which is ridiculous nonesense.

You can try adjusting the voltage yourself, but FX CPUs are known to require a lot of voltage.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You can try adjusting the voltage yourself, but FX CPUs are known to require a lot of voltage.

Thats exactly what I'm doing, most people are reporting about 4.8-5.0Ghz on 1.45 volts. 

Thats exactly what I'm doing, most people are reporting about 4.8-5.0Ghz on 1.45 volts. 

Just remember that it depends on the die, aka the silicon lottery. You can buy a CPU that overclocks well, or overclocks terribly.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

4 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

It could be your PSU. Bad PSUs can equal bad overclocks.

Just remember that it depends on the die, aka the silicon lottery. You can buy a CPU that overclocks well, or overclocks terribly.

I'm pretty sure my chances of failing the silicone lottery twice are very slim, plus other people are reporting overclocking issues with the exact same mobo.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

It could be your PSU. Bad PSUs can equal bad overclocks.

I'll go for that.

5 minutes ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

I'm pretty sure my chances of failing the silicone lottery twice are very slim, plus other people are reporting overclocking issues with the exact same mobo.

From what I'm seeing, the board looks very sufficient for overclocking.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

From what I'm seeing, the board looks very sufficient for overclocking.

These people dont seem to think so.. wait am I allowed to link a tomshardware link here? its been a long time since I read the rules.

1 minute ago, ArmswieldTheHero said:

These people dont seem to think so.. wait am I allowed to link a tomshardware link here? its been a long time since I read the rules.

Yes, of course.

I'm not seeing any evidence that people are saying it's a terrible board.

I'm not seeing any evidence that people are saying it's a terrible board.

kk