UE4 Development Workstation Questions

Go to solution Solved by LawrenceBarnes2013,

You can't use dual 6950X's, only Xeons can do that, so i'd suggest two 2650 V3 maybe. for cooling, throw two Noctua D15 on em, and you need A LOT of horse power for a dev system. with that said, i think you should wait the Pascal Titan X, the thing is BEAST 

I'm planning on building a computer for Unreal Engine 4 / VR development. These are the main components that I want to use:

- Case: AeroCool GT-S

- Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

- CPU(s): 2x Intel Core i7-6950X

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz Kit8 CL14 128GB

- PSU: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1300 Platinum 1300W

- GPU(s): 4x EVGA GeForce GXT 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION

- Storage: 2x Intel DC S3610 Series 1.6TB SSD

My first question is which water cooling kit do you recommend for this dual CPU setup, and do I have to replace the cooler blocks on the GPUs or stock cooling is enough on them?

The second question is about compatibility. Are these parts fully compatible with eachother, and do I have to do anything other than building the system to get it working?

And finally, do you think that this is too overpowered? I've heard that the guys at Epic Games (UE dev team) use dual cpu workstations too. If you think this setup is too OP / isn't worth the money, please tell me what parts shoult I replace.

Thanks in advice!

You can't dual cpu 6950x's,only xeons

I'm a educated fool with money on my mind.

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

Power and the money,money and the power,minute after minute,hour after hour

My Motivation

9 minutes ago, SparkFox621 said:

I'm planning on building a computer for Unreal Engine 4 / VR development. These are the main components that I want to use:

- Case: AeroCool GT-S

- Motherboard: Asus Z10PE-D8 WS

- CPU(s): 2x Intel Core i7-6950X

- RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400MHz Kit8 CL14 128GB

- PSU: Antec High Current Pro HCP-1300 Platinum 1300W

- GPU(s): 4x EVGA GeForce GXT 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION

- Storage: 2x Intel DC S3610 Series 1.6TB SSD

My first question is which water cooling kit do you recommend for this dual CPU setup, and do I have to replace the cooler blocks on the GPUs or stock cooling is enough on them?

The second question is about compatibility. Are these parts fully compatible with eachother, and do I have to do anything other than building the system to get it working?

And finally, do you think that this is too overpowered? I've heard that the guys at Epic Games (UE dev team) use dual cpu workstations too. If you think this setup is too OP / isn't worth the money, please tell me what parts shoult I replace.

Thanks in advice!

you cant dual 6950x, only xeons, but at that price id recommend xeons anyway

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

You can't use dual 6950X's, only Xeons can do that, so i'd suggest two 2650 V3 maybe. for cooling, throw two Noctua D15 on em, and you need A LOT of horse power for a dev system. with that said, i think you should wait the Pascal Titan X, the thing is BEAST 

Edited by LawrenceBarnes2013

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

11 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

You mean Titan XP? lol,sooner or later nvidia is gonna use every single letter from the alphabet xD

They say i got to learn but nobody here to teach me,if they can't understand it how can they reach me

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

You mean Titan XP? lol,sooner or later nvidia is gonna use every single letter from the alphabet xD

Yeah, but the'll be going backwards since they Hit the Z couple of years ago and the X is already taken :D 

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

8 minutes ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

Yeah, but the'll be going backwards since they Hit the Z couple of years ago and the X is already taken :D 

Its no fair,there is no GTX Titan Y...:/

My Motivation

1 minute ago, Dresta said:

Its no fair,there is no GTX Titan Y...:/

They need to come up with a new naming scheme for it, though all the "tough" sounding ones are also, already taken 

21 hours ago, LawrenceBarnes2013 said:

So I don't need water cooling?

1 hour ago, SparkFox621 said:

So I don't need water cooling?

it's not that you don't need it it's simply cause the NH-D15 totally smokes almost any all in one liquid cooling solution for around $85 where as most of the liquid coolers are more than $100