PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

40 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

EVGA GD, 80plus gold certified 550W/650W non-modular PSUs, appears to be a HEC platform, nothing on 80plus.org quite yet.

http://au.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0550-V2

http://au.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0650-V2

how many power supplies do they even need? o.O

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

how many power supplies do they even need? o.O

Until they ran out of different combinations with B and G

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Until they ran out of different combinations with B and G

don't forget P and T and W and N

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

don't forget P and T 

Ah those ones, too poor to even look at them

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Ah those ones, too poor to even look at them

well, at least you got the rosewill quark for platinum(and andyson platinum for us)

There is a new Corsair HX series, it is 80plus plat, so I assume it is the HXi series, just without Corsair link, but I haven't investigated much into that. 

4 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

There is a new Corsair HX series, it is 80plus plat, so I assume it is the HXi series, just without Corsair link, but I haven't investigated much into that. 

Gonna guess it's essentially a Platinum-rated Corsair RMx, just a guess though. We'll have to see.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

4 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Gonna guess it's essentially a Platinum-rated Corsair RMx, just a guess though. We'll have to see.

It's RMx on 750-1000w and HX1200i on the 1200w model. You can see the internals here. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-hx-tx-psus,33271.html

Unlike the RMx, there's an actual physical switch to toggle between single rail and multi-rail mode.

http://outervision.com/b/GJkVsb

Guys am i really good with my 500W corsair vengeance? If i set the gpu overclock to 2000MHZ (no overvoltage included) 500-505W is recommended. Or lets make it short: am i able to have this rig without OC or even with OC and how far can i push? little bit scared right now,ordered a 1080 kfa2/galax EXOC. Imagine i install it, and ingame my PC just freezes cause my PSU cant withstand lol. Is this really 100% working :/?

11 minutes ago, MostWanted2025 said:

Guys am i really good with my 500W corsair vengeance? If i set the gpu overclock to 2000MHZ (no overvoltage included) 500-505W is recommended. Or lets make it short: am i able to have this rig without OC or even with OC and how far can i push? little bit scared right now,ordered a 1080 kfa2/galax EXOC. Imagine i install it, and ingame my PC just freezes cause my PSU cant withstand lol. Is this really 100% working :/?

Outervision is a POS. Don't touch it, or the Cooler Master calculator, ever. They spit out random numbers that breach anything your PC would ever demand under any load and they have financial incentive (advertising or they sell their own stuff in the case of CM) to exaggerate how much power your system will demand. a 1080 and locked i7 will never breach 350W.

EDIT: I decided to put my system in. I have a 4770S and GTX 970 with OC. It expected a 520W demand and recommended an EVGA G1. I can't stop facewalling xD

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

32 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Outervision is a POS. Don't touch it, or the Cooler Master calculator, ever. They spit out random numbers that breach anything your PC would ever demand under any load and they have financial incentive (advertising or they sell their own stuff in the case of CM) to exaggerate how much power your system will demand. a 1080 and locked i7 will never breach 350W.

Found many sites which told me outer is actual ok :/. Its just its my first time having such a beastly PC. (My rig before was a gtx 950 with a 1st gen Xeon w3550..... so yeah i was low end :D) and if you compare that they dont needed much power (had anyway a 750W in..... it was a ebay pc for cheap)   :D i just imagine such good parts need a lot of power, and since i didnt paid that much for PSU (mid range area and other told me the Vengeance is good since its specific on germany for its compared cheap price) im a bit scared  ;). but im totally ok with this Rig? And even with Overclock my GPU to its limits if i need to? And one question to GPU: High chance of Coil whine? (is it even that worse then all say?) Since right now im a 1080P gamer. Idk what it even is since i never had it. i guess right now i sound like i dont even know how to use a PC :D

Edit: holy shit a mid end GPU should need a better PSU then high end. Dafuq is wrong with this site xD

28 minutes ago, MostWanted2025 said:

Found many sites which told me outer is actual ok :/. Its just its my first time having such a beastly PC. (My rig before was a gtx 950 with a 1st gen Xeon w3550..... so yeah i was low end :D) and if you compare that they dont needed much power (had anyway a 750W in..... it was a ebay pc for cheap)   :D i just imagine such good parts need a lot of power, and since i didnt paid that much for PSU (mid range area and other told me the Vengeance is good since its specific on germany for its compared cheap price) im a bit scared  ;). but im totally ok with this Rig? And even with Overclock my GPU to its limits if i need to? And one question to GPU: High chance of Coil whine? (is it even that worse then all say?) Since right now im a 1080P gamer. Idk what it even is since i never had it. i guess right now i sound like i dont even know how to use a PC :D

Edit: holy shit a mid end GPU should need a better PSU then high end. Dafuq is wrong with this site xD

The 500W Vengeance is more than OK for your rig, yes. OC your GPU to your heart's content. Coil whine is luck of the draw, some cards have it in abundance and some cards it is seldom. My GTX 970 coil whines like a motherfucker and most 970s suffer from coil whine. 

I am planning on building an AMD Workstation, my first build but I'm not sure if the AURUM PT 1000 will be compatible with my motherboard especially later when I upgrade       ( http://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP163000605/ )

I chose the following components:

Userbenchmark PC Build Comparison

Case: AMD Infinitron T9 (E-ATX)

Image result for infinitron t9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2016)

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 2133 C15 2x16GB 
MBD: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7A32) 

For a later on Upgrade:

Case: AMD Infinitron T9 (E-ATX)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU: 2 x Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (SLI)
SSD: Samsung 950 NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB (2016)

RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 3200 C14 4x16GB 
MBD: MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM (MS-7A31) 

Please help and advice, I would really appreciate any inputs

2 hours ago, Black_Panther said:

I am planning on building an AMD Workstation, my first build but I'm not sure if the AURUM PT 1000 will be compatible with my motherboard especially later when I upgrade       ( http://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP163000605/ )

The AURUM PT 1000W is a very modern design with platinum efficiency.  Updates to the ATX design and power requirements are minor enough that it'll probably be compatible with desktop computers for the next 10 or 15 years.

11 hours ago, MostWanted2025 said:

The average GTX 1080 is rated at 180W under full load, and overclocking shouldn't add more than about 20W at the high end.  Although it's at the minimum, a decent 500W power supply will be strong enough to keep the system going even with a high end CPU.

15 minutes ago, VIVO-US said:

The AURUM PT 1000W is a very modern design with platinum efficiency.  Updates to the ATX design and power requirements are minor enough that it'll probably be compatible with desktop computers for the next 10 or 15 years.

Thanks, I was also attracted to it's looks. The competition is now against the Corsair RM1000i (if I got the cash for Corsair) ;)

4 hours ago, Black_Panther said:

I'm a newbie and building a "Badass" Rig Please recommend a PSU, I am stuck on this. The link below will lead you to my profile where I have posted a fully detailed quote:(

https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/477013-black_panther/ 

I see you have a planned upgrades specsheet as well but most of those I don't really understand. By the time you'd be able to afford those a newer and better series of hardware from Nvidia and AMD will likely be out. Just keep the R7 1700 for ever, get the board you want for SLI and SLI 1070s rather than buying two 1080tis or perhaps buy one 1080ti instead of SLIing at all.

That said, the Aurum PT 1000W should be fine.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

I see you have a planned upgrades specsheet as well but most of those I don't really understand. By the time you'd be able to afford those a newer and better series of hardware from Nvidia and AMD will likely be out. Just keep the R7 1700 for ever, get the board you want for SLI and SLI 1070s rather than buying two 1080tis or perhaps buy one 1080ti instead of SLIing at all.

That said, the Aurum PT 1000W should be fine.

Thanks for your comment.

How long do you think it will be until there's new and better hardware?

After a chat with a PC builder friend we speculated that AMD might release a higher end series of motherboards and RYZEN 7 (128GB RAM Max{I'm actually waiting eagerly for it}), maybe Quad SLI enabled?... with more enabled features that are not available now in AMD... E-ATX sort of thing.

As for Nvidia I am not sure how long it will take them to release something better than the 1080 Ti.

Basically I don't mind upgrading MBD, CPU, RAM... I just want to make sure that I have  a good enough PSU to accommodate all future upgrades for at least 5 years, it's my constant. My case is ready for the apocalypse ;)

12 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

Thanks for your comment.

After a chat with a PC builder friend we speculated that AMD might release a higher end series of motherboards and RYZEN 7 (128GB RAM Max{I'm actually waiting eagerly for it}), maybe Quad SLI enabled?... with more enabled features that are not available now in AMD... E-ATX sort of thing.

As for Nvidia I am not sure how long it will take them to release something better than the 1080 Ti.

Basically I don't mind upgrading MBD, CPU, RAM... I just want to make sure that I have  a good enough PSU to accommodate all future upgrades for at least 5 years, it's my constant. My case is ready for the apocalypse ;)

No idea, but your list of planned upgrades just seemed unnecessary to me which is what I was pointing out. There's very little reason to SLI two cards together by the time a newer and more powerful single-GPU solution comes out and you won't have to deal with SLI issues, games not supporting it, or more power consumption.

52 minutes ago, Black_Panther said:

At the rate manufacturers upgrade PC hardware, we'd have to say 3, maybe 4 hours. 9_9

You'll just have to consider what will work best for you for the time period you want.  There are those who will spend $1,000 every 6 months to get that next top-end upgrade, and then there are those who will buy last gen hardware to save money and keep it for 5 years.  A well built computer using current and even some last gen hardware can keep up with the latest and greatest pretty well for quite a long time.

14 hours ago, VIVO-US said:

At the rate manufacturers upgrade PC hardware, we'd have to say 3, maybe 4 hours. 9_9

You'll just have to consider what will work best for you for the time period you want.  There are those who will spend $1,000 every 6 months to get that next top-end upgrade, and then there are those who will buy last gen hardware to save money and keep it for 5 years.  A well built computer using current and even some last gen hardware can keep up with the latest and greatest pretty well for quite a long time.

I'm the 5 year typa guy. I can't spend $500 every 6 months but I would spend $2000 every 5 years if necessary

I got a HX620 off of eBay for cheap but it's missing a PCI cable. Anyone know where I can find a replacement (in Europe) for cheap? 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

Just now, ImadKnight said:

I got a HX620 off of eBay for cheap but it's missing a PCI cable. Anyone know where I can find a replacement (in Europe) for cheap? 

I think your best bet would be to contact Corsair.

Alternatively Bitfenix, Cablemod, and others make custom cables but those might cost a bit

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I think your best bet would be to contact Corsair.

Alternatively Bitfenix, Cablemod, and others make custom cables but those might cost a bit

Thanks, Il try sending an email to corsair. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads.