PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

9 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

RM750i? 5 year warranty? @jonnyGURU is that correct?

I'd probably go for the Corsair either way.

No.  That's not right.

Corsair warranty does not vary by country.  It's ALWAYS 10 years on an RMi.

@baxenko is talking about the warranty he gets from the reseller.

I know that this may be less relevant due to the newer list being out, but this direct carbon copy of the list: https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

made me chuckle. Ignoring the fact that they did not credit anyone here, the tier labels are the funniest, with them only not recommending the lowest tier when realistically (on their list) tier 3 and below is where the crap units come into play.

8 minutes ago, Matsozetex said:

I know that this may be less relevant due to the newer list being out, but this direct carbon copy of the list: https://www.gamingscan.com/psu-hierarchy/

made me chuckle. Ignoring the fact that they did not credit anyone here, the tier labels are the funniest, with them only not recommending the lowest tier when realistically (on their list) tier 3 and below is where the crap units come into play.

?

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Though in this case, I'm guessing they simply don't have enough knowledge to do anything other than to rip off others. Quite poorly too :P

Lots of companies/publications do the same. Just two examples:

Vox ripping off Adam Neely

Spoiler

And LTT ripping off Chyrosran22

Spoiler

And that's before even mentioning all of the content farms...

But I mean, as long as it helps people avoid the worst of the worst PSUs, I suppose that it at least helps...

:)

• 2 months later...

Hello

Could swear the evga's g3s was tier 1 a couple years ago.

How come it changed?

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

Sorry >_<

44 minutes ago, Lena said:

Hello

How come it changed?

You have necro'd the old PSU Tier list where posting stopped months ago, see the title, which was updated with [OLD] .

The new tier list is that way >> 

1 hour ago, Lena said:

Hello

How come it changed?

Sorry >_<

Move discussion to the new one. It was bumped in this one to Tier 2, due to issues where the unit had completely broken protections.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

@STRMfrmXMN & @LienusLateTips @Stefan Payne @seon123 @LukeSavenije & anyone else interested

Intend to unpin this old PSU tier thread list from the forums. Hasn't really been any discussion here since April, seems that the discussion has fully transitioned over to the new thread. This list is no longer being updated and has been made redundant by the new list. Anyone have any objections or reasons why it should be kept pinned?

My only hesitation is there might be some older/discontinued PSUs listed here that aren't (or won't be) represented in the new list going forward, since the Tier lists only really cover current & available units.

@LienusLateTips Maybe include a link to this list in your new list so people can easily find the list to look up older units or the discussion thread as needed? That way the legacy information can be kept readily available without clogging up the new list with info about old/discontinued PSUs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

@STRMfrmXMN & @LienusLateTips @Stefan Payne @seon123 @LukeSavenije & anyone else interested

Intend to unpin this old PSU tier thread list from the forums. Hasn't really been any discussion here since April, seems that the discussion has fully transitioned over to the new thread. This list is no longer being updated and has been made redundant by the new list. Anyone have any objections or reasons why it should be kept pinned?

My only hesitation is there might be some older/discontinued PSUs listed here that aren't (or won't be) represented in the new list going forward, since the Tier lists only really cover current & available units.

@LienusLateTips Maybe include a link to this list in your new list so people can easily find the list to look up older units or the discussion thread as needed? That way the legacy information can be kept readily available without clogging up the new list with info about old/discontinued PSUs.

Yeah, it can be dethroned now. As long as my 80 PLUS guide stays :P 

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Yeah, it can be dethroned now. As long as my 80 PLUS guide stays :P 

As far as I'm aware at this stage there is no intention of unpinning that thread or any of the other threads currently pinned to the Cases & Power Supply forum.

... Besides, I kind of need that thread pinned there or else there will be too many people posting saying you need a 750w PSU for a system that uses 350w because "PSUs are most efficient at 50%". :D

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On 7/16/2019 at 3:46 AM, Spotty said:

As far as I'm aware at this stage there is no intention of unpinning that thread or any of the other threads currently pinned to the Cases & Power Supply forum.

... Besides, I kind of need that thread pinned there or else there will be too many people posting saying you need a 750w PSU for a system that uses 350w because "PSUs are most efficient at 50%". :D

Sounds good.

Still bummed there's no collaborative editing feature on here though. Somebody could have done the upkeep for this list, but I don't wanna maintain it anymore.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

3 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Sounds good.

Still bummed there's no collaborative editing feature on here though. Somebody could have done the upkeep for this list, but I don't wanna maintain it anymore.

At least the pin changed.

If you can, could you write a DISCONTINUED thing on the top of the list?

Happy 20,000 posts, btw.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 hours ago, LienusLateTips said:

At least the pin changed.

If you can, could you write a DISCONTINUED thing on the top of the list?

Happy 20,000 posts, btw.

Haven't hit 20K yet! Ah wait... fuck YA GOT ME

9 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Still bummed there's no collaborative editing feature on here though

i recall asking mortis... but he couldn't do it for me. only mods can freely edit stuff

btw, if you ever feel like making a huge rant over ours, go ahead.

I'm ready to rant back

On 7/16/2019 at 3:46 AM, Spotty said:

I thought the "use a PSU that's 2X the wattage that your system needs" was because of, especially in the old days like 15 or 30 years ago, PSUs that people bought being poor quality and blowing up if you tried to put full load through them, or something like that. :D 

Spoiler

Sometimes when I hear of a PSU "exploding", I picture the ENTIRE thing blowing up, like, the case itself becoming shrapnel and even the manufacturer wouldn't recognize that the pieces had ever been a PSU, NOT just blowing a cap and it's otherwise mostly physically intact.

On 7/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, Spotty said:

Since im a necromancer anyway...

Wait, so i don't need a 1000w psu for my gtx1080 that wants 500w for itself by official site? O_O

4 hours ago, Lena said:

Since im a necromancer anyway...

Wait, so i don't need a 1000w psu for my gtx1080 that wants 500w for itself by official site? O_O

The PSU recommendations on Nvidia's site is a recommendation for the whole system, not the power the graphics card needs, alone. And it's usually over-estimating because they don't know anything about the rest of your system, nor the quality of the PSU you have.

As a side note for everyone:

This is the old, outdated PSU tier list thread. It's not relevant anymore. If you have any PSU related questions, please direct them to the new PSU tier list thread pinned in this sub-section. Thanks. :)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

Edited by MEC-777
Updated link

31 minutes ago, Spotty said:

see you there everyone!