PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

They're top quality of the consumer units (not seasonic Prime. evga P2, corsair ax/hxi series etc. level but also not as expensive) along with the whisper m and the straight power 11. A notch above the EVGA G2/G3, which both are a notch above the Seasonic Focus/Focus+.

Alright, I just noticed them on pcpartpicker and didn't see them on the list. Good to know, thanks.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Alright, I just noticed them on pcpartpicker and didn't see them on the list. Good to know, thanks.

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller on the higher watt units.

On 7/23/2016 at 12:44 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Tier 1 - Best

• Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi, RMi, RMx, SF, grey-label HX (2017), 2017 TXM greater than 650W 

They're below the AXi/HXi units (and much cheaper), but above the TXMs. They're good quality units with CWT as the OEM and pretty much what @ears_ears said. They're also good in terms of noise and fan profile as well with a good quality rifle bearing fan. Very quiet units. Comes with 10 year warranty. Only complaints I've heard about them is that they're only single rail and not multi rail.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors, and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller.

They're below the AXi/HXi units (and much cheaper), but above the TXMs. They're good quality units with CWT as the OEM and pretty much what @ears_ears said. They're also good in terms of noise and fan profile as well with a good quality rifle bearing fan. Very quiet units. Comes with 10 year warranty. Only complaints I've heard about them is that they're only single rail and not multi rail.

Good to know.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller on the higher watt units.

According to THW the new RMx also comes with 12V OCP unlike the old one 

6 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

AFAIK the old RMx should have OCP on the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V... Do you have a link to the THW article?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

Looks like it's the same situation with the 2018 units using OPP instead of OCP due to them being single rail units. So I was wrong saying it had OCP on either...

Corsair's suite of protection features is complete, aside from OCP on the +12V rail, which is replaced by over-power protection on single-rail PSUs. Active cooling is handled by a 135mm fan with a rifle bearing. Finally, should something go wrong, Corsair covers the RM750x with a 10-year warranty.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

4 hours ago, ears_ears said:

No it doesn't.

It's a single rail PSU, it doesn't have 12V OCP. They use OPP.

PSUs with multiple 12V rails means it should have OCP for 12V, unless they're lying (like the case of Seasonic M12ii).

It's why the OPP and "12V OCP test" triggered at the same time (wattage) at TweakPC

Not sure why the Toms reviews didn't cross out the 12V OCP test. Unfortunately typos aren't too uncommon on Aris' reviews (or atleast TomsHardware).

Hello, which of these psu is better?

Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular

be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W Bronze (no modular)

Price wise they both are around 63$

Maybe there are something better & cheaper?

7 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is anything known about Corsair's 2018 RMx units?

AFAIK nothing has changed compared to the 2015 ones except for the size

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

36 minutes ago, IDontKnoww said:

Hello, which of these psu is better?

Pure power has better fan and way lower RPM (around half the RPM at lower loads).

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Hello there, I want to ask an question. Am building a PC currently, and I'm confused to choose between :

be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W CM

Seasonic Focus Gold 550W GC

Which one is better overall?

12 hours ago, libels00 said:

Hello there, I want to ask an question. Am building a PC currently, and I'm confused to choose between :

The PurePower I think

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

She/they 

3 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

The PurePower I think

Hmmm is Pure Power 11 got some improvements compared to Pure Power 10?

On 1/20/2019 at 12:17 AM, libels00 said:

i got pure power 11, but focus gold should be better, plus it's full modular, no way it's quiet as pure power 11, literally put my ear to it i can just hear a bit of air moving,

depends what you value more and pricing, v550 is pretty much same as focus gold 550 afaik, got better fan and is a lot cheaper where i live, v550 is actually cheaper than pure power 11 500w cm here

5 hours ago, komi1997 said:

i got pure power 11, but focus gold should be better, plus it's full modular, no way it's quiet as pure power 11, literally put my ear to it i can just hear a bit of air moving,

depends what you value more and pricing, v550 is pretty much same as focus gold 550 afaik, got better fan and is a lot cheaper where i live, v550 is actually cheaper than pure power 11 500w cm here

I assume you said about Cooler Master V550, yes? So the V550 got same performance like Focus Gold 550?

Sadly in my country, V550 is pricier than both Pure Power 11 500 and Focus Gold 550, plus it's not available in the shop I bought my components.

Hi everyone , planning to buy FSP 650watts, PSU, Hydro PTM, 80 platinum, full modular, will pair it with gigabyte 2070 windforce, does FSP a good brand ? does anyone have experienced using FSP PSU's? It attracted me cause it has a  Free Omega X6 Dark Mirror Gaming Case.  thank you

FUll Specs

gigabyte Ab350m gaming 3

12 gb ram

5 fans 

FSP hydro PTM 650watts (soon)

gigabyte 2070 windforce (soon)

6 hours ago, boyebs said:

does FSP a good brand ?

Whether FSP is a "good brand" or "bad brand" (and how would you even quantify that) has nothing to do with whether Hydro PTM 650W is a good PSU or bad PSU

does anyone have experienced using FSP PSU's?

Other people's experiences with other FSP PSUs have nothing to do with your future experience with Hydro PTM 650W

I assume you want to ask if getting an FSP Hydro PTM 650W for your setup is a good purchase... It's a very good PSU, but we can't tell if it's a good purchase since we don't know what price you're getting it at and what other choices you have.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:53 AM, bigotee said:

Hi all, is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W overkill for ASUS Strix Vega 56 and a Ryzen 5 2600? 

That's enough wattage for Crossfire Vega 56 setup.

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

is FSP a good brand?

Irrelevant. Every brand has good quality and garbage units in their lineup. Some more on the one side, some more on the other side.

But the PTM is a decent PSU. The 550W, if available makes more sense though for most systems.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

has the list been update recently? I refer everyone to this list, "just gotta know"

55 minutes ago, Death2Gnomes said:

has the list been update recently? I refer everyone to this list, "just gotta know"

This one has not, but @LienusLateTips has a new one

She/they 

12 hours ago, OrionFOTL said:

Whether FSP is a "good brand" or "bad brand" (and how would you even quantify that) has nothing to do with whether Hydro PTM 650W is a good PSU or bad PSU

Other people's experiences with other FSP PSUs have nothing to do with your future experience with Hydro PTM 650W

I assume you want to ask if getting an FSP Hydro PTM 650W for your setup is a good purchase... It's a very good PSU, but we can't tell if it's a good purchase since we don't know what price you're getting it at and what other choices you have.

Yes I know that my future experience have nothing to do with other experiences on the product, there's nothing wrong either on getting feedback to those who used the said brand,sorry around 112-115$ w/ a free case as stated. I asked for a specific brand and specific unit thats why I didnt provide other PSU to compare, thanks for your response, appreciate it. 

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Irrelevant. Every brand has good quality and garbage units in their lineup. Some more on the one side, some more on the other side.

But the PTM is a decent PSU. The 550W, if available makes more sense though for most systems.

Indeed there's good and garbage lineup, thats why I provide the specific unit i was referring to, maybe someone out there uses it already. Thank you for your response appreciate it,