PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

On 7/6/2017 at 3:29 PM, quan289 said:

In regards to the S12II-B model showing better crossload than the NEX-G, it's not an apple to apple comparison if you are comparing a 520w [LINK] to a 750w [LINK].

As we all know, group-regulated PSUs are inheritedly bad in regards to voltage regulation and crossload scenarios, because the load of one rail can influence the voltages of another. If you put zero loads (or no extra loads) on the minor rails, the voltages on the 12V tend to drop harder as you increase load to it, which also cause the voltages of the minor rails to increase (usually the 5V). This is true the other way around. Since the 12V rating is higher on the NEX-G while having similar minor rail rating (1A difference), it's understandable that the voltage drop on the 12V is greater as you are seeing the limitation of the design.

Anyways, the NEX-G and S12II-B / M12II-B 380-620 are a bit poor when talking about v.reg / crossloads when comparing to a DC-DC / Indy regulated PSU in the grand scheme of things, so even if the GB platform is better overall, I wouldn't say it's a drastic difference.

NEX-G vs HCG-620M (Seasonic GB / S/M12II-B) vs Cooler Master G550M vs Corsair CX650M

Hide contents

CL_12V.jpg

CL_12V.jpg

CL_12V.jpg

https://img.purch.com/r/600x450/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9aL1MvNjIzMzY4L29yaWdpbmFsL0NMXzEyVi5KUEc=

You know what yeah, if we call the S12II good and T3, even though it crossloads like that (5% deviation at an extreme), then the NEX will have to go T3 too.

Is there any difference between HCG and S12II though?

On 7/7/2017 at 10:09 AM, herman mcpootis said:

Holy fuckamoly. Seasonic making punches in the market!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Hmmmm

It's simple here - you bump it to T3, I stop telling people not to get it. That work?

Well, I still think telling people not to get it is a good idea due to its pricepoint, but yeah.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

19 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well, I still think telling people not to get it is a good idea due to its pricepoint, but yeah.

Been giving a couple people the M12II 750W though.

Wait that one's DC-DC right?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

On 7/11/2017 at 1:59 AM, Energycore said:

Been giving a couple people the M12II 750W though.

Wait that one's DC-DC right?

The M12ii EVO is, not the non-EVO though IIRC.

2 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Isn't the non-EVO the really old 80 PLUS standard rated one?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I don't know, I thought it was just a modular S12ii. Too many things to remember.

2 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I don't know, I thought it was just a modular S12ii. Too many things to remember.

If that's hard to remember, don't forget to take a gander at EVGA's lineup of units and who all makes which units :P

This has probably been answered at some point before but i don't fancy reading through a tonne of pages to find the answer.

I know the tier 3 with the ***'s means they could be a higher tier if it wasn't for the fan (or at least, that's what i've been thinking it meant) but which tier would they be in if it wasn't for the fan, I'm guessing tier 2?

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Apparently I don't know anything about power supplies. Bummer.

meanwhile with their FSP Dagger thread, they call our forum bad, then one of their members comes and harasses you and the thread. fucking hypocrites.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

7 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

This has probably been answered at some point before but i don't fancy reading through a tonne of pages to find the answer.

I know the tier 3 with the ***'s means they could be a higher tier if it wasn't for the fan (or at least, that's what i've been thinking it meant) but which tier would they be in if it wasn't for the fan, I'm guessing tier 2?

Usually yeah

7 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

meanwhile with their FSP Dagger thread, they call our forum bad, then one of their members comes and harasses you and the thread. fucking hypocrites.

Eh, it's the internet, people get overly pissed off over meaningless things all the time.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Eh, it's the internet, people get overly pissed off over meaningless things all the time.

still, it's only a list, it's fine if he dislikes it but to go as far as threatening to ban a brand new user just for linking a list when he's already made one before? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

10 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

still, it's only a list, it's fine if he dislikes it but to go as far as threatening to ban a brand new user just for linking a list when he's already made one before? 

That is true and I'd expect him to act a little more like an adult considering he's 40+ (I have no idea how old he is tbh) but ya know, I can't change people.

I added a thing to the end of the list btw xD

4 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

A semi modular version.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

5 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

5 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

You only have to remember one thing: 430/520/620 are group regulated, whereas 750W and 850W are DC-DC

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That is true and I'd expect him to act a little more like an adult considering he's 40+ (I have no idea how old he is tbh) but ya know, I can't change people.

We've officially been called retards or something like that by JonnyGuru. Kinda feels good in a weird kind of way.

I liked your thing that you added :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

judging from this stream he's probably in his 40s,  yet's he's acting alot younger in that thread.

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

judging from this stream he's probably in his 40s,  yet's he's acting alot younger in that thread.

You're saying that like age necessarily brings maturity

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

You're saying that like age necessarily brings maturity

yeah i know that's not true at all, probably just bad wording :P

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=520 T1? Seems to beat the G2 although only Semi Mod (ATX/EPS are hardwired)...

Just some bapo nerd from 'Straya

PCs:

Main: i7 7700K (5GHz 1.4V) | ASUS GTX 1080 TURBO | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz (3200MHz CL14 1.365V) | ASUS PRIME Z270-AR | Thermaltake SMART 750P | Coolermaster Seidon 240P | Acer Predator X34 (34" 1440p144Hz GSync IPS)

Secondary: i5 3570K | Intel HD4000 (RIP Sapphire HD 6850) | 2x2GB + 1x4GB Kingston 1600MHz | ASUS P8Z68-V LX | Corsair CX650 | Coolermaster Hyper D92 | Sony Bravia VPL-VW80 (108" 1080p60Hz projector)

Laptop: i7 7700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB MXM | 2x16GB SODIMM | OEM Acer Motherboard | 17.3" Screen (1080p60Hz IPS)

iMac: Core 2 Duo T7400 | ATI Radeon X1600 | 2x1GB 667MHz DDR2 | 20" Screen

17 hours ago, BazNaz said:

:Thinking:

Capture.PNG

I find this most amusing, considering the LTT PSU tier list is based partially on Jonny's reviews... lol. I bet he probably didn't even look at the list. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS