PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Cougar LX 600 review https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cougar/LX600/ I think it's a great budget unit. I think everything is balanced, and I love how it is fully modular and has a very high quality fan. You just can't expect budget units to be perfect, of course; I think this does a good job of balancing things out, being strong in certain areas and not horrible in other aspects. Made by HEC.

I was going to go into more detail than this, but this will be sufficient.

The Corsair HX is a slightly modified CWT PUQ G, 

PSUs that are based on the CWT PUQ G line include the Thermal Take EVO 2.0, LEPA G600 MAS, Enermax RG and GX, Deepcool DQ ST, Chieftec E 650W-850W, and Jou Jye/Bitwin BW-G NLM, BW-G NL.

The difference between the HX and the reference PUQ G, is that is HX has

Different PFC transistors, double hold-up capacitors in parallel 

These are great units, tier 2 or tier 3.

EDIT - The ThermalTake London is also CWT PUQ-G, so they are tier 3 units.

EDIT - Please discard this post for now, I cannot guarantee the legitimacy of this post of this time 

EDIT - The Deepcool DQ ST is not a PUQ-G but instead a CWT GPS. I have worked out how I have stuffed up, I must have been mindlessly following the NOS NXHM on 80plus.org which uses both models (as well as the CWT PUQ-B). That said the CWT GPS is also a good PSU, my tier 3 recommendation will still stand.

22 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Cougar LX 600 review https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Cougar/LX600/ I think it's a great budget unit. I think everything is balanced, and I love how it is fully modular and has a very high quality fan. You just can't expect budget units to be perfect, of course; I think this does a good job of balancing things out, being strong in certain areas and not horrible in other aspects. Made by HEC.

Will be added to tier 4

2 hours ago, turkey3_scratch said:

EVGA 430W, $15 after rebate on Newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438015 - a lot better than all the other junk in its price range.

Not a bad deal at all. 

21 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I was going to go into more detail than this, but this will be sufficient.

The Corsair HX is a slightly modified CWT PUQ G, 

PSUs that are based on the CWT PUQ G line include the Thermal Take EVO 2.0, LEPA G600 MAS, Enermax RG and GX, Deepcool DQ ST, Chieftec E 650W-850W, and Jou Jye/Bitwin BW-G NLM, BW-G NL.

The difference between the HX and the reference PUQ G, is that is HX has

These are great units, tier 2 or tier 3.

Alrighty, I'll look into adding them but there's a certain point where I don't want this to become an enormous list so I'll add PSUs from the more common brands like Thermaltake and LEPA

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

18 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Will be added to tier 4

Not a bad deal at all. 

Alrighty, I'll look into adding them but there's a certain point where I don't want this to become an enormous list so I'll add PSUs from the more common brands like Thermaltake and LEPA

Add the deepcool unit, I am starting to see more of deepcool, I just looked at PCPP, and they are not badly priced. The downside to them is they are not modular.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mp2rxr/deepcool-power-supply-dq550st

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/D3Z2FT/deepcool-power-supply-dq750st

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/wPVBD3/deepcool-power-supply-dq650st

The 2 Enermax units are Chinese exclusives, so I doubt that most people will see them in their lifetime.

Next time I'll just list the rebrands and will say if I think they should be on the list or not. Even if they don't make it onto the list, it is still helps people know the quality of their PSU.

Thermaltake Paris is the same as the Thermaltake Toughpower Gold. 

They have the same model number.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002308

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002296

The Toughpower Gold is the based on the CWT CSG, same with the Deepcool DQ EVO, but I haven't seen it on PCPP, so putting it on the list is probably pointless.

Tier 4

Also note, I edited my CWT PUQ - G post above, they are tier 3 by default.

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Thermaltake Paris is the same as the Thermaltake Toughpower Gold. 

They have the same model number.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002308

http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model_Specification.aspx?id=C_00002296

Thermaltake is the only option available in a lot of parts of the world like Italy, where I know you can only get Corsair units for way too much or various Thermaltake units like the Paris. I'll dial it in.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This one isn't going on this list (I don't think it is being made anymore), I looked it up because it was on Gumtree.

The Aerocool Templarius Power Imperator 550 is based off that CWT DSA II

The CWT DSA II is very similar to the DSA III and the CX is based on the DSA III, so it would be a tier 4/5

40 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

WideTECH Is missing from this list

The fact that the brand widetech isn't listed on 80plus.org, I am guessing it is probably garbage. 

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The fact that the brand widetech isn't listed on 80plus.org, I am guessing it is probably garbage. 

Well with there 750W PSU i got to 5Ghz on my Pentium G3258 and with an OC'd RX480

1 minute ago, DisconnectedYT said:

Well with there 750W PSU i got to 5Ghz on my Pentium G3258 and with an OC'd RX480

I have seen so many generic PSUs that claim they are "750W" when they can only just get up to 400W (Then exploded). 

The RX 480 with a heavily OC'd G3258 will get nowhere near 400W, but that said, you don't really know how much watts that PSU can output. I'd upgrade with a PSU on this list. 

2 hours ago, DisconnectedYT said:

WideTECH Is missing from this list

Nothing is listed on Ecova from what I can tell meaning that the brand just sells garbage, sorry.

1 hour ago, DisconnectedYT said:

That doesn't make it good. The logic of "I have it" or "I do it and nothing bad has happened to me" is not insurance or backing of it, it's just a user who hasn't put it under the conditions or had the time it takes to wreck the part. If I told you that "hey, I got rear ended in that Ford Pinto 10 minutes ago and I've come out and my car HASN'T exploded" - you wouldn't tell me that makes the car safe right? (And if you aren't familiar with the Pinto, it was famous for exploding upon being rear ended)

The logic of "I haven't had problems with my system that I've decided to throw caution to the wind against" making you safe is the same sort of logic that gets teenagers higher insurance costs - it's not logical. In fact, I'd highly recommend you replace the unit they deemed a "750" that likely outputs maybe 300 with a unit that can suit your system. A Seasonic S12/EVGA B2 would do swell and neither is particularly expensive.

6 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

Nobody should be buying anything below Tier 3 IMO. 

I'd say tier 4, and I say that because there's nothing bad to come of someone using an EVGA 600B for a system with like an i3 and no dedicated GPU and one storage drive. Nothing the EVGA would kill in there.

Where's EVGA BQ fall?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Where's EVGA BQ fall?

Look at the list at the bottom for the "to be announced" units. Literally nobody knows anything about it except that it passes bronze and is made by HEC.

How acceptable is it to have an EVGA 500B in a rig with an i3-6100, a single 8gb stick of DDR4, a GTX 750, an ASRock H110M-HDS motherboard, and 2 drives one SSD and one HDD? I play Minecraft and use some emulators like Dolphin that can be fairly intense on the CPU or GPU.

2 minutes ago, BarnacleStinson said:

How acceptable is it to have an EVGA 500B in a rig with an i3-6100, a single 8gb stick of DDR4, a GTX 750, an ASRock H110M-HDS motherboard, and 2 drives one SSD and one HDD? I play Minecraft and use some emulators like Dolphin that can be fairly intense on the CPU or GPU.

Perfectly fine

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

16 minutes ago, BarnacleStinson said:

If you don't have it, I'd get something better so you do GPU and CPU upgrades in the future without a PSU upgrade, but for that computer it is fine. 

1 hour ago, BarnacleStinson said:

It's fine

7 minutes ago, Bawan said:

what Power suply should i take if i have gtx 1080

An EVGA G2 is always a safe bet

@STRMfrmXMN 

Maybe you should add to the original post a blurb defining the use cases/what's okay for what builds. I feel like a few people who end up reading this will think they need to get something they don't and take money away from another component. For those who post and ask questions it's not a big deal, but there are people who just read the forums and never make an account. 

With GPU: 

High end/power-hungry build (6600k+1070 or above), go with a T1-T2. 

Budget power-hungry/gaming build (up to a i5 + 480/1060), go with a T1-T3. 

Extra budget (up to i3/860k+460/950), go with a T1-T4.

Without GPU: 

99% of builds: Anything T1-T4 will be fine, buy whatever you're willing to pay for. 

Extreme dirt cheap (<$200), anything T1-T6.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

@STRMfrmXMN 

Maybe you should add to the original post a blurb defining the use cases/what's okay for what builds. I feel like a few people who end up reading this will think they need to get something they don't and take money away from another component. For those who post and ask questions it's not a big deal, but there are people who just read the forums and never make an account. 

With GPU: 

High end/power-hungry build (6600k+1070 or above), go with a T1-T2. 

Budget power-hungry/gaming build (up to a i5 + 480/1060), go with a T1-T3. 

Extra budget (up to i3/860k+460/950), go with a T1-T4.

Without GPU: 

99% of builds: Anything T1-T4 will be fine, buy whatever you're willing to pay for. 

Extreme dirt cheap (<$200), anything T1-T6.

In my free time padawan, but such things are hard to come by :P