PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

11 minutes ago, Gokufighther said:

yea, the XT series just has complete crap caps and such. i trust evga's 80+ series a lot more than xfx's XT series

I'm going to have to take that with a grain of salt

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=295

I'm going to need other users to verify what you are saying is true...Since users in the past have stated that my psu is decent and no need to upgrade it..

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

48 minutes ago, Gokufighther said:

missing the BQ series that just launched. its basically the gq series but bronze rated. either T2 or T3

The BQ has no reviews and is in no way connected to the GQ which is made by FSP while the BQ is made by HEC.

14 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

I'm going to need other users to verify what you are saying is true...Since users in the past have stated that my psu is decent and no need to upgrade it..

The OCZ ZT is not an XFX XT so I'm not sure where that got moved around. I think a few of the ZTs are of poor quality. Would you mind leaving me a PM with a title callde "OCZ ZT" so I can remind myself later to re-tier it? Thanks.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

thats the Zt, i thought u had a typo. the Xt is shit, idk about the Zt

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The BQ has no reviews and is in no way connected to the BQ which is made by FSP while the BQ is made by HEC.

The OCZ ZT is not an XFX XT so I'm not sure where that got moved around. I think a few of the ZTs are of poor quality. Would you mind leaving me a PM with a title callde "OCZ ZT" so I can remind myself later to re-tier it? Thanks.

1 minute ago, Gokufighther said:

thats the Zt, i thought u had a typo. the Xt is shit, idk about the Zt

Oh ok then

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

5 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The BQ has no reviews and is in no way connected to the BQ which is made by FSP while the BQ is made by HEC.

There's something wrong with this sentence...

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

There's something wrong with this sentence...

You're wrong with this sentence :P

I fixed it, damn naming schemes EVGA

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Okay so what's what with tiers? Where's the line of "Don't use this EVER" drawn? I'm assuming Tier 3 is still acceptable for gaming and streaming?

4 hours ago, BarnacleStinson said:

Okay so what's what with tiers? Where's the line of "Don't use this EVER" drawn? I'm assuming Tier 3 is still acceptable for gaming and streaming?

I would say that Tier 3 is probably fine with any single GPU system and Tier 4 is for more basic systems with GTX 950s and the like. If you are streaming using a high-end PC then I would get at least a tier 3 unit, yes.

you should probably specify the specific wattage numbers between high and low wattage gs units.

also, hows the integra sfx on the node 202? if its anything like the integra r2, its suprisingly low ranked and i may have to rethink my psu choice.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

you should probably specify the specific wattage numbers between high and low wattage gs units.

also, hows the integra sfx on the node 202? if its anything like the integra r2, its suprisingly low ranked and i may have to rethink my psu choice.

The 650W and 550W are t2, the above are t1. The Node 202 has several instances on the forum and from one of the AMD team people that is famous on Twitch (can't remember his name but he lives in Texas) had one die on him. I'd replace it ASAP.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The 650W and 550W are t2, the above are t1.

you should add that to the original post to avoid any confusion.

9 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The Node 202 has several instances on the forum and from one of the AMD team people that is famous on Twitch (can't remember his name but he lives in Texas) had one die on him. I'd replace it ASAP.

its actually a planned workstation build, but yeah ill replace that on the parts list asap. a corsair sf is actually only $20 more, so totally worth it

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

2 minutes ago, DrM said:

you should add that to the original post to avoid and confusion.

its actually a planned workstation build, but yeah ill replace that on the parts list asap. a corsair sf is actually only $20 more, so totally worth it

The Corsair SF is honestly so good I don't even know why it has basically no competition. Definitely a solid buy. I'll probably add that, yeh

10 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The Corsair SF is honestly so good I don't even know why it has basically no competition.

yeah, im completely baffled there. the corsair sf is $1 more than the strider gold, and 2 tiers higher. its basically the only high end sfx psu and the only one worth considering at that form factor.

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I'll adjust it, thanks for pointing it out. The NEX has average voltage regulation iirc for that point there.

The 5V rail is fine. As for the 12V and 3.3V rails, it's all over the place to be honest.

Spoiler

regulation_12v.gif

regulation_33v.gif

LL

I wouldn't particularly call it on the same tier as the Seasonic S12II. Is it a bad PSU? No. But it's a mediocre unit at most.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Damn, another one goes into history!

On 8/12/2016 at 4:37 PM, Gokufighther said:

missing the BQ series that just launched. its basically the gq series but bronze rated. either T2 or T3

It's not "basically the GQ but bronze-rated". They're completely different platforms, to the point that tho GQ is made by FSP and the BQ is made by HEC. HEC has been known for some lousy PSUs and some good ones, so we can't assume its performance without a review.

You can also figure out that their topology is different because they're rated for 648W and 650W respectively on the 12V rail

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's not "basically the GQ but bronze-rated". They're completely different platforms, to the point that tho GQ is made by FSP and the BQ is made by HEC. HEC has been known for some lousy PSUs and some good ones, so we can't assume its performance without a review.

TBH I'm worried it may kinda suck, like be only a tiny, tiny bit better than a 600B and be more priced towards the end of a 750B2.... kinda sad that they couldn't commission Super Flower to make 550W and 650W variants of the B2, but I know they had FSP make the GQ due to the issues Super Flower and Seasonic had with demand for EVGA units.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

TBH I'm worried it may kinda suck, like be only a tiny, tiny bit better than a 600B and be more priced towards the end of a 750B2.... kinda sad that they couldn't commission Super Flower to make 550W and 650W variants of the B2, but I know they had FSP make the GQ due to the issues Super Flower and Seasonic had with demand for EVGA units.

Yeah considering the 450,500,600B are all also made by HEC, I'm willing to bet they perform similarly.

And Damn Seasonic / Super Flower, make bigger fabs plz :(

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

Yeah considering the 450,500,600B are all also made by HEC, I'm willing to bet they perform similarly.

And Damn Seasonic / Super Flower, make bigger fabs plz :(

Look on the bright side. If it ends up being one of their better units, it's a pretty decent buy.

2 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

Look on the bright side. If it ends up being one of their better units, it's a pretty decent buy.

Still will recommend to stay away from it until reviews come

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

No love for the XTS...just like cable mods ;-; (although I'll probably find out that the cables for the XTR/PRO PSUs works fine anyway...too lazy to contact cable mods however...)

I really want a detailed review on the XFX XT PSUs as they have 85C caps like the Evga's equivalent and Corsair's old CX PSUs but wonder how voltage reg, ripple and efficiency stacks up :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

No love for the XTS...just like cable mods ;-; (although I'll probably find out that the cables for the XTR/PRO PSUs works fine anyway...too lazy to contact cable mods however...)

I really want a detailed review on the XFX XT PSUs as they have 85C caps like the Evga's equivalent and Corsair's old CX PSUs but wonder how voltage reg, ripple and efficiency stacks up :P 

All I know is it's based on the Hydrance CT, which is basically one of Seasonic's mediocre designs. I've looked for a review of a Hydrance CT but I can't find a professional review on one. If anybody knows of one, please point it out to me. But from a price perspective no reason to even consider an XFX XT really with Corsair CXM units.

Just now, turkey3_scratch said:

All I know is it's based on the Hydrance CT, which is basically one of Seasonic's mediocre designs. I've looked for a review of a Hydrance CT but I can't find a professional review on one. If anybody knows of one, please point it out to me.

XTS != XT