Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List [OLD]

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Lol I had a bad  PSU (CX600M) and decided to get an overpowered PSU :D. going from one extreme to the other lol.

Well according to this new list you were a lot better off than I am

Can you explain the tier list? Sorry if I'm missing something.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

Posted · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Can you explain the tier list? Sorry if I'm missing something.

Tier 1 = best, tier 7 = worst

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

21 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Tier 1 = best, tier 7 = worst

No, like what specific factors determine each tier.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

No, like what specific factors determine each tier.

Quality of components and electrical performance. Value is taken in a smidge but by and large this is just quality + performance, which is why the EVGA NEX series is in tier 3, even though it's fairly poor value and stuff like that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| I like Power Supplies for whatever reason. Feel free to PM me with any questions. 

My system: PCPartPicker || Resources for PSU information: "links are not allowed ExDee" | For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick

Where do people get the information to make these lists? Based on reviews and my minimal knowledge of PSU's, I disagree with the placement of some of this list (particularily with the Seasonic T3 list). JonnyGuru gives of those as much as 9.5/10+ and carry their recommended awards. How are they T3?

38 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

Where do people get the information to make these lists? Based on reviews and my minimal knowledge of PSU's, I disagree with the placement of some of this list (particularily with the Seasonic T3 list). JonnyGuru gives of those as much as 9.5/10+ and carry their recommended awards. How are they T3?

well he incorporates the price into his scores, while this list is primarily quality and performance

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 hours ago, Zyndo said:

JG puts value ahead of other things and I did not. Thus, an EVGA NEX is tier 3 when it would be tier 4 if value was factored in.

3 minutes ago, Vadrieriand said:

What ? Really xfx ts gold is tier 1?

Even though its cheaper than xtr series?

If it is im gonna buy it 

Go ahead man!

Just now, Vadrieriand said:

Whoa quick reply , just wondering cause im beginner in psu , between antec edge, xfx xtr and xfx ts which one would you buy?

They're all good so I would buy whichever is cheapest for you.

I looked through the PSU section at PCCG and the following were not tiered.

Coolermaster GX https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34795/ tiered 01-08-2016

ThermalTake Toughpower XT https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26529/

Be Quiet! System Power 8 https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34057/

Coolermaster B2 https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32100/ tiered 01-08-2016 

Cougar CMX https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26074/

It's here! :D

My build | Ryzen 5 1600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | MSI B350 PC MATE | 1.5TB SSD/HDDs | EVGA GS 650 | Corsair 400C White |

Phone: Google Pixel XL | Android Pie (Pixel Dust - rooted with magisk) | Verizon

Proud owner of an Omnibot 2000 and 5402

@Vulrax❤️

Can I put this in my sig?

My build | Ryzen 5 1600 | Cryorig H7 | GTX 1080 | 16GB Team Dark | MSI B350 PC MATE | 1.5TB SSD/HDDs | EVGA GS 650 | Corsair 400C White |

Phone: Google Pixel XL | Android Pie (Pixel Dust - rooted with magisk) | Verizon

Proud owner of an Omnibot 2000 and 5402

@Vulrax❤️

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Can I put this in my sig?

yeah

9 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I looked through the PSU section at PCCG and the following were not tiered.

Coolermaster GX https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34795/

ThermalTake Toughpower XT https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26529/

Be Quiet! System Power 8 https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34057/

Coolermaster B2 https://www.pccasegear.com/products/32100/

Cougar CMX https://www.pccasegear.com/products/26074/

Want to tier them for me? I'm really busy right now. Remember, value is not factored into the tier list - only performance and quality.

1 hour ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Want to tier them for me? I'm really busy right now. Remember, value is not factored into the tier list - only performance and quality.

That will be fun. I'll look into it.

The Coolermaster B2 500 is made by CWT, and according to Orion on jonnyguru.com it is a CWT GPM which is also seen in the Corsair VS. Tier 7.

The Coolermaster B2 600 model is a CWT GPM, the Thermal Take TR2 also uses that OEM. Tier 7

There is a Coolermaster B2 700 model made by CWT, probably same as above quality, but I havn't found reviews on it. Tier 7

The Coolermaster B 500 is made by CWT and doesn't work on 115V outlets. It has no formal efficiency rating, I'd probably call it a tier 7 or avoid it. The LEPA N 500W also uses the same reference design.

The Coolermaster B600 and B700 are made by Enhance electronics and have no formal efficiency rating. I cannot find anything more about it. Probably Tier 7 or avoid it.

Just now, Comic_Sans_MS said:

*snip*

Well... that explains why they weren't in the list xD 

I'm cool on my AX1200i, even though it didn't make the Platinum cut :(. But hey, 80 Plus Gold ain't that bad either :D

• NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal 2016) | NVIDIA TITAN Xp (2017) :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 

The Storm: Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

Supernova (upcoming successor to The Storm): AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-core CPU | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG ZENITH EXTREME | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 and Phanteks Glacier C399A Satin Black | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + ML140 2-pack

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

13 minutes ago, JurunceNK said:

I'm cool on my AX1200i, even though it didn't make the Platinum cut :(. But hey, 80 Plus Gold ain't that bad either :D

Your AXi is definitely platinum certified and hits it with ease.

37 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

The Coolermaster B2 500 is made by CWT, and according to Orion on jonnyguru.com it is a CWT GPM which is also seen in the Corsair VS. Tier 7.

The Coolermaster B2 600 model is a CWT GPK, the Thermal Take TR2 also uses that OEM. Tier 7

There is a Coolermaster B2 700 model made by CWT, probably same as above quality, but I havn't found reviews on it. Tier 7

The Coolermaster B 500 is made by CWT and doesn't work on 115V outlets. It has no formal efficiency rating, I'd probably call it a tier 7 or avoid it. The LEPA N 500W also uses the same reference design.

The Coolermaster B600 and B700 are made by Enhance electronics and have no formal efficiency rating. I cannot find anything more about it. Probably Tier 7 or avoid it.

Usually when there's such huge variation in there I avoid putting them on here because people will inevitably go "Hey, this version of it is Tier 2, not tier 4!" and it's annoying. If the versions were all roughly the same then I would probably put them in a tier.

Just now, STRMfrmXMN said:

Your AXi is definitely platinum certified and hits it with ease.

According to HardOCP, it's not :/. They're known for their no-nonsense demeanor, so they're pretty hardcore. But still, I love it after all xD

• NVIDIA TITAN X (Pascal 2016) | NVIDIA TITAN Xp (2017) :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: 

The Storm: Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

Supernova (upcoming successor to The Storm): AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16-core CPU | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG ZENITH EXTREME | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 and Phanteks Glacier C399A Satin Black | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + ML140 2-pack

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440