Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List [OLD]

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I don't measure the Fan Voltage at lower loads with recent reviews because of certain reasons but when I did do it, the Seasonic G-Series had 2,6V or so on the fan. Might take a look at that again ;)

They used ADDA and Jamicon fans at the time and no overly annoying motor noise like the Hong Hua in my CWT GPS one wich is brought down to 350rpm with the 750W version.

 

I also have a Xilence Performance X wich does not have annoying Motor/Bearing noise and also rotates the fan at 350rpm (750W is what I got). 

 

And, as you know, be quiet usually goes under 4,5V...

 

PS: What I didn't get was load related fan controls.

Ie a fan controller that "automatically" increases the voltage when the load is low (=you replaced the Original Fan with another one and the new one, with lower loads runs faster than the old one)...

The Huntkey X7-1200W does that for example...

Voltage does not directly correspond with fan speed.  The motor windings can differ between different fans and create different results.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jonnyGURU said:

Voltage does not directly correspond with fan speed.  The motor windings can differ between different fans and create different results.

If that is in regards to the Huntkey, IIRC I measured the Voltage and the voltage with the Original Fan was reasonably low (somewhar what you'd expect. Its a 0,6A LED one but I don't really remember but I think it was somewhere around 5V or so) the replacement from a different PSU the voltage was higher than with the original fan and thus the fan speed was higher.

 

IIRC it was something rediculously high like 7-9V or so.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

Get the new RMX. You don't know the way he treated the PSU and it's not something like a GPU which could be more resistant in stress/bad scenarios. Also it's the heart of your system.

i see, okay. i'll get brand new RMX 550w. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

10 years ago or so.

But we're talking about 2019, not 2009!

Why would you want to ruin your hardware with an ancient PSU?!

 

You are wrong!

Here something for around 40€ or 37 Pounds:

https://skinflint.co.uk/be-quiet-system-power-9-400w-atx-2-4-bn245-a1765560.html?hloc=uk

 

40 Pounds:

https://skinflint.co.uk/xilence-performance-a-series-530w-atx-2-4-xp530r8-xn061-a1380623.html?hloc=uk

But hey, rather ruin your shit with old electronics waste than get a new PSU!

 

Especially if you don't have much money, its a bad idea to save on the PSU as that will kill your stuff!

Well, ones you listed are from Germany and before all fees that probably will be applied plus 400W only and I’m planning to get GTX1070, every PSU is most efficient about 50% load. IMHO better to have some headroom 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, uberas said:

Well, ones you listed are from Germany and before all fees that probably will be applied 

It's a price comparing website, and not all the stores they had listed are German

1 hour ago, uberas said:

plus 400W only and I’m planning to get GTX1070

400W is EASILY enough for a build with an overclocked GTX 1070 and an i7 or Ryzen 7.

1 hour ago, uberas said:

every PSU is most efficient about 50% load.

That's bullshit. Some are most efficient at 35%, while others are 80%. Also, it's a matter of 2% or so - better off getting a more efficient PSU, than a higher wattage supply.

 

Also, even if the PSU is most efficient at 50% load, for most of the time you use your computer, it's not anywhere near that taxing.

1 hour ago, uberas said:

IMHO better to have some headroom 

You can think that, doesn't mean it actually makes sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, uberas said:

plus 400W only and I’m planning to get GTX1070,

Yes and my (not overclocked) Ryzen 7/1700x with a VEGA64 is at around 400-450W under max. Load.

So you're saying?

Oh wait, you rather have old, electronics waste kill your stuff than a new, modern and decent unit...

5 hours ago, uberas said:

every PSU is most efficient about 50% load.

That's absolute bullshit because it depends on the unit. The reason for that is the 3 point "Measurements" from 80plus. If you look at something that has more than that, you see that this claim doesn't hold up!

And the "most efficient" part is somewhere between 30-60%.

And in 230VAC, in some cases the difference between 30 and 60% load is so negligable that it doesn't matter. Meaning less than 0,5% difference in many cases.

SO that is just not true.

5 hours ago, uberas said:

IMHO better to have some headroom 

For what exactly?!

 

If you want that, pay more for a NEW better quality PSU!

 

Rule of the Thumb:
If you need 750W, you have the 150€ for a good quality, Platinum or Titanium unit.

If you don't have the money for that, you don't need it. And a good 400-550W PSU is what you really want.

 

But if you don't want to spend money, you have to live with some downsides.


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

But if you don't want to spend money, you have to live with some downsides.

I thought you were gonna say "If you don't want to spend money, you re not eligible to have a personal computer".

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Yes and my (not overclocked) Ryzen 7/1700x with a VEGA64 is at around 400-450W under max. Load.

So you're saying?

Oh wait, you rather have old, electronics waste kill your stuff than a new, modern and decent unit...

That's absolute bullshit because it depends on the unit. The reason for that is the 3 point "Measurements" from 80plus. If you look at something that has more than that, you see that this claim doesn't hold up!

Well right, I’m living under the rock for over a decade now (i5 2500k + hd7870 was my last build) and all 80+ bronze and above should be fine with marginally 10% difference across the board of efficiency. Usually It is recommended to have 20% headroom anyway as electronics wear down slower (I know that’s gonna be under 100% load rarely, but still)

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

If you want that, pay more for a NEW better quality PSU!

 

Rule of the Thumb:
If you need 750W, you have the 150€ for a good quality, Platinum or Titanium unit.

If you don't have the money for that, you don't need it. And a good 400-550W PSU is what you really want.

 

But if you don't want to spend money, you have to live with some downsides.

That’s right, I want to cheap out on PSU but balance the risk and I’ve always used for example old fortrons in my builds. Probably having good experience with that I was trying to compromise somehow..:(

5 hours ago, Settlerteo said:

I thought you were gonna say "If you don't want to spend money, you re not eligible to have a personal computer".

Funny enough I know that, that’s why I haven’t bought one of these: https://www.cclonline.com/product/250070/XP400R6/Power-Supplies/Xilence-Performance-C-Series-400W-Power-Supply-Unit/PSU1545/

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, uberas said:

Usually It is recommended to have 20% headroom anyway as electronics wear down slower (I know that’s gonna be under 100% load rarely, but still

While that is true, modern PSU are rated for very high Ambient Temperatures, 40-50°C for the good ones are comon. 

So with that, I'd rather use a good PSU that's a bit on the lower end to 100% than a bad one at around 50%.

But with those Components and no OC; I dobut you'll be much over 200W Load.

 

 

Quote

That’s right, I want to cheap out on PSU but balance the risk and I’ve always used for example old fortrons in my builds. Probably having good experience with that I was trying to compromise somehow..:(

Well, you don't save much by cheaping out on PSU. 

It might look like you save some money but at the same time you also lose lifetime of the components, so you pay more in the end than with a good quality PSU.

Quote

the C is not good, the A+ and X is what you should be looking for,.

be quiet System Power 9 with 400W and more is also a decent option "over there"...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, chittapanu said:

hi, im not sure that ThermalTake Smart BX1 650w in tier 3 or 6??

More Tier 6 than Tier 3 because group regulated and looks rather cheapish...

Really not recommendable, not worth the money.

For a bit more you get really better units!

 

And its not even cheap! The BX1 550W is 50€, for 50€ you can get a 400W Pure Power wich is way better or a Cooler Master Master Watt 450W, Corsair CX or even CXM, wich is far better value for the money...


"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 6:17 AM, Stefan Payne said:

More Tier 6 than Tier 3 because group regulated and looks rather cheapish...

Really not recommendable, not worth the money.

For a bit more you get really better units!

 

And its not even cheap! The BX1 550W is 50€, for 50€ you can get a 400W Pure Power wich is way better or a Cooler Master Master Watt 450W, Corsair CX or even CXM, wich is far better value for the money...

thank you!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

i need help i have this powersuply , https://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001966 which 730w smart SE , is it tier  5 or tier 3 ??? Thermaltake - DPS Gold/RGB, London, BlueEvo 2.0, Smart Pro RGB, Smart series >= 750W i am confused between these names

Your power supply isn't good.

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=es&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.easycom.com.ua/power/thermaltake_smart_se_sps-630m/%3Flang%3Dru

If I had to guess, since no one really knows the criteria in this PSU list, it would sit at T4 or T5.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rexper said:

Your power supply isn't good.

http://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=es&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.easycom.com.ua/power/thermaltake_smart_se_sps-630m/%3Flang%3Dru

If I had to guess, since no one really knows the criteria in this PSU list, it would sit at T4 or T5.

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer xD my friend bought this power suply last year and used it with i7 8700k + rtx 2080ti 16gb ram and 2SSD + 2 HDDs and didn't encouter any problems so far even in summer our country can get pretty hot in juilly almost 45 degrees celsius , i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess , sorry my friend but your answer is kinda strange

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer xD my friend bought this power suply last year and used it with i7 8700k + rtx 2080ti 16gb ram and 2SSD + 2 HDDs and didn't encouter any problems so far even in summer our country can get pretty hot in juilly almost 45 degrees celsius , i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess , sorry my friend but your answer is kinda strange

Based on CWT GPM platform, same as Corsair VS and Thermaltake TR2 units. Very barebones, very basic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer xD my friend bought this power suply last year and used it with i7 8700k + rtx 2080ti 16gb ram and 2SSD + 2 HDDs and didn't encouter any problems so far even in summer our country can get pretty hot in juilly almost 45 degrees celsius , i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess , sorry my friend but your answer is kinda strange

 

Then why are you asking on a forum like LTT?

 

But you are in luck, here are a couple of very knowledgeable persons regarding PSU:s, but most people don't like what they have to say....

 

And just because that PSU hasn't exploded yet (or even will) doesn't make it a good PSU. Most PSU:s just work, even mediocre or even bad ones, they are just more likely to cause random trouble like unstable systems, bad/unstable OC, BSOD:s, failing random hardware like memory, HDD/SSD:s, motherboards, GPU:s, melting wires/connectors and so on. If they fail and go up in a ball of fire (have happened) the likelihood of it damaging some or all hardware is much greater as there are no or not sufficient protections. 

Even the best PSU can die, but it won't take the system with it....  

 

I for one is newer going to understand that a person that can put up thousands of dollar on high end hardware and additional bling-bling is a tight-ass when it comes to the most important part in the whole system. " -Hey, i just bought a 2080Ti and a 9900K but I won't pay more than $55 for a PSU... those things are so expensive.... " but ask here anyway and get an answer like "get this or this, cost $20 more" and then go "No way... to much money, I found this for $35, that must be good. Why would the sell it if it weren't good?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

 

Then why are you asking on a forum like LTT?

 

But you are in luck, here are a couple of very knowledgeable persons regarding PSU:s, but most people don't like what they have to say....

 

And just because that PSU hasn't exploded yet (or even will) doesn't make it a good PSU. Most PSU:s just work, even mediocre or even bad ones, they are just more likely to cause random trouble like unstable systems, bad/unstable OC, BSOD:s, failing random hardware like memory, HDD/SSD:s, motherboards, GPU:s, melting wires/connectors and so on. If they fail and go up in a ball of fire (have happened) the likelihood of it damaging some or all hardware is much greater as there are no or not sufficient protections. 

Even the best PSU can die, but it won't take the system with it....  

 

I for one is newer going to understand that a person that can put up thousands of dollar on high end hardware and additional bling-bling is a tight-ass when it comes to the most important part in the whole system. " -Hey, i just bought a 2080Ti and a 9900K but I won't pay more than $55 for a PSU... those things are so expensive.... " but ask here anyway and get an answer like "get this or this, cost $20 more" and then go "No way... to much money, I found this for $35, that must be good. Why would the sell it if it weren't good?"

i agree with you  , if people spent at least above 1000$ on there build and they cheap out on their power suply it is stupid and they can risk the hole system, i totally agree , but  when you say that a power suply can explode or fail , it is little bit exaggerated because if that power suply came from a well reputed company  how it is going to fail ,??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning.

I just changed my PSU to Corsair RMX 550w.

When I turned on my PC, I heard sound like "tek", idk where it came from but it seemed from PSU area.

Is that normal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

Good morning.

I just changed my PSU to Corsair RMX 550w.

When I turned on my PC, I heard sound like "tek", idk where it came from but it seemed from PSU area.

Is that normal?

Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU?


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

My case is nzxt s340 and it has dust filter at the bottom of the case, so I installed the PSU's fan position at the bottom. Is that what you mean?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

My case is nzxt s340 and it has dust filter at the bottom of the case, so I installed the PSU's fan position at the bottom. Is that what you mean?

No. The PSU has an on off switch on the back. Did the sound happen when you turned that switch on?


 

Quote

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

 

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No. The PSU has an on off switch on the back. Did the sound happen when you turned that switch on?

oh, i always leave the switch on. I mean i turn on the power in my PC case. Even before the PC off, i also hear the sound of "tek"

so basically at the start and before the PC off completely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ZidaneTribal said:

oh, i always leave the switch on. I mean i turn on the power in my PC case. Even before the PC off, i also hear the sound of "tek"

so basically at the start and before the PC off completely.

It's the in-rush current relay inside the PSU.  It's totally normal.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×