PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

1 hour ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer xD my friend bought this power suply last year and used it with i7 8700k + rtx 2080ti 16gb ram and 2SSD + 2 HDDs and didn't encouter any problems so far even in summer our country can get pretty hot in juilly almost 45 degrees celsius , i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess , sorry my friend but your answer is kinda strange

Based on CWT GPM platform, same as Corsair VS and Thermaltake TR2 units. Very barebones, very basic.

1 hour ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer xD my friend bought this power suply last year and used it with i7 8700k + rtx 2080ti 16gb ram and 2SSD + 2 HDDs and didn't encouter any problems so far even in summer our country can get pretty hot in juilly almost 45 degrees celsius , i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess , sorry my friend but your answer is kinda strange

Then why are you asking on a forum like LTT?

But you are in luck, here are a couple of very knowledgeable persons regarding PSU:s, but most people don't like what they have to say....

And just because that PSU hasn't exploded yet (or even will) doesn't make it a good PSU. Most PSU:s just work, even mediocre or even bad ones, they are just more likely to cause random trouble like unstable systems, bad/unstable OC, BSOD:s, failing random hardware like memory, HDD/SSD:s, motherboards, GPU:s, melting wires/connectors and so on. If they fail and go up in a ball of fire (have happened) the likelihood of it damaging some or all hardware is much greater as there are no or not sufficient protections. 

Even the best PSU can die, but it won't take the system with it....  

I for one is newer going to understand that a person that can put up thousands of dollar on high end hardware and additional bling-bling is a tight-ass when it comes to the most important part in the whole system. " -Hey, i just bought a 2080Ti and a 9900K but I won't pay more than $55 for a PSU... those things are so expensive.... " but ask here anyway and get an answer like "get this or this, cost $20 more" and then go "No way... to much money, I found this for $35, that must be good. Why would the sell it if it weren't good?"

1 hour ago, Mattias Edeslatt said:

Then why are you asking on a forum like LTT?

But you are in luck, here are a couple of very knowledgeable persons regarding PSU:s, but most people don't like what they have to say....

And just because that PSU hasn't exploded yet (or even will) doesn't make it a good PSU. Most PSU:s just work, even mediocre or even bad ones, they are just more likely to cause random trouble like unstable systems, bad/unstable OC, BSOD:s, failing random hardware like memory, HDD/SSD:s, motherboards, GPU:s, melting wires/connectors and so on. If they fail and go up in a ball of fire (have happened) the likelihood of it damaging some or all hardware is much greater as there are no or not sufficient protections. 

Even the best PSU can die, but it won't take the system with it....  

I for one is newer going to understand that a person that can put up thousands of dollar on high end hardware and additional bling-bling is a tight-ass when it comes to the most important part in the whole system. " -Hey, i just bought a 2080Ti and a 9900K but I won't pay more than $55 for a PSU... those things are so expensive.... " but ask here anyway and get an answer like "get this or this, cost $20 more" and then go "No way... to much money, I found this for $35, that must be good. Why would the sell it if it weren't good?"

i agree with you  , if people spent at least above 1000$ on there build and they cheap out on their power suply it is stupid and they can risk the hole system, i totally agree , but  when you say that a power suply can explode or fail , it is little bit exaggerated because if that power suply came from a well reputed company  how it is going to fail ,??

Good morning.

I just changed my PSU to Corsair RMX 550w.

When I turned on my PC, I heard sound like "tek", idk where it came from but it seemed from PSU area.

Is that normal?

2 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

Good morning.

When I turned on my PC, I heard sound like "tek", idk where it came from but it seemed from PSU area.

Is that normal?

Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

:)

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Did you flip the switch on the back of the PSU?

My case is nzxt s340 and it has dust filter at the bottom of the case, so I installed the PSU's fan position at the bottom. Is that what you mean?

3 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

My case is nzxt s340 and it has dust filter at the bottom of the case, so I installed the PSU's fan position at the bottom. Is that what you mean?

No. The PSU has an on off switch on the back. Did the sound happen when you turned that switch on?

:)

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

No. The PSU has an on off switch on the back. Did the sound happen when you turned that switch on?

oh, i always leave the switch on. I mean i turn on the power in my PC case. Even before the PC off, i also hear the sound of "tek"

so basically at the start and before the PC off completely.

6 hours ago, ZidaneTribal said:

oh, i always leave the switch on. I mean i turn on the power in my PC case. Even before the PC off, i also hear the sound of "tek"

so basically at the start and before the PC off completely.

It's the in-rush current relay inside the PSU.  It's totally normal.

1 hour ago, jonnyGURU said:

It's the in-rush current relay inside the PSU.  It's totally normal.

Hoo i see, i thought there was something wrong with my brand new psu.

Btw Jonny, like @seon123 said, there is switch to turn off/on at the back of the psu.

Which one is the better action, always in "on" position or better to turn "off" position when the PC not in use?

14 hours ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

is it a guess or what ? i am looking for a straight answer

It's a guess because this list is subjective. It's based off how one person feels about the power supplies. I can't read minds.

14 hours ago, ZinouTheBeast XXI said:

i am looking for people that really know power suply industy not just random guess

Then why are you asking for "tiers"?

The power supply isn't complete crap. It atleast comes with a complete EMI filter with surge and inrush protection, and APFC.

Quality is questionable. Though it's components aren't undersized, given the low capacitor quality, small heatsinks, sleeve bearing fan, I don't expect this unit to last past a few years.

It's using a low quality, 8-pin protection IC. So it's missing some cruical protections such as OCP. I also didn't see any OTP implemented anywhere. What does this mean? You can't rely on the PSU not taking parts with it when it dies.

Electrical performance is what you'd expect from a cheap double forward + group regulated unit. Voltage regulation is mediocre at best. Ripple is poor on the 3.3V rail. Not only is this unhealthy to your components' lifespans, it implies even less time before you start seeing reboots and PSU problems. Especially when paired with a high end CPU + GPU.

And of course, no support for modern CPU sleep states.

It's not quiet either, revving past 1000RPM at just a little over 100w load. You'd also expect coil whine when using a modern, high end GPU, as the PSU is using a double-forward design.

Not sure why your friend even considered buying this PSU for his 2080ti system...

I advise a new, high quality PSU.

9 hours ago, ZidaneTribal said:

Good morning.

Is that normal?

you mean a "tek" like in flipping a switch?

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

2 hours ago, ZidaneTribal said:

Hoo i see, i thought there was something wrong with my brand new psu.

Btw Jonny, like @seon123 said, there is switch to turn off/on at the back of the psu.

Which one is the better action, always in "on" position or better to turn "off" position when the PC not in use?

Leave the switch on... always.

Unless you're swapping out components inside the PSU or moving it to another room.

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

you mean a "tek" like in flipping a switch?

yes.

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Leave the switch on... always.

Unless you're swapping out components inside the PSU or moving it to another room.

noted.

27 minutes ago, ZidaneTribal said:

yes.

As jon stated, its an electro mechanical switch. 

Or usually called "Relay".

18 hours ago, Rexper said:

It's a guess because this list is subjective. It's based off how one person feels about the power supplies. I can't read minds.

Then why are you asking for "tiers"?

The power supply isn't complete crap. It atleast comes with a complete EMI filter with surge and inrush protection, and APFC.

Quality is questionable. Though it's components aren't undersized, given the low capacitor quality, small heatsinks, sleeve bearing fan, I don't expect this unit to last past a few years.

It's using a low quality, 8-pin protection IC. So it's missing some cruical protections such as OCP. I also didn't see any OTP implemented anywhere. What does this mean? You can't rely on the PSU not taking parts with it when it dies.

Electrical performance is what you'd expect from a cheap double forward + group regulated unit. Voltage regulation is mediocre at best. Ripple is poor on the 3.3V rail. Not only is this unhealthy to your components' lifespans, it implies even less time before you start seeing reboots and PSU problems. Especially when paired with a high end CPU + GPU.

And of course, no support for modern CPU sleep states.

It's not quiet either, revving past 1000RPM at just a little over 100w load. You'd also expect coil whine when using a modern, high end GPU, as the PSU is using a double-forward design.

Not sure why your friend even considered buying this PSU for his 2080ti system...

I advise a new, high quality PSU.

well thank you so much for this indepth answer i was looking for this kind of reply :D my friend had before i7 8700k + gtx 1060 , then he upgraded to rtx 2080ti , in our country not all products are msrp prices only some brands that signed contracts with  some of our major retail stores for example thermaltake so because our currency is too low 1$= 120 DA buying 137$ powrsuply from thermaltake = 12000 DA  but buying for example EVGA power suply which deos not exist in out country only if some on bought it online will cost around double the price , i know  what you are going to say you must not cheap out on your powersuply if you want to pair it with high end system , but this major retailer in our country is claiming and told my friend that it is more than okay to pair it with his new gpu , and because i couldn't find any other other decent powersuply i bought it last month , paired with i5 8600k + maybe i will get rtx 2070

52 minutes ago, Faroukh_Surat said:

Looking at purchasing this

https://au.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=120-GP-0650-X4

Listed as an EVGA G1+ on the website I wish to purchase it from.

Part number is GP (I think)

Exactly what Tier is this model please ? (Yes I is confused)

Thanks

Tier 2. Quite good.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

3 hours ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Tier 2. Quite good.

Thanks OrbitalBuzzsaw

• 4 weeks later...

? Guys, flour choice between the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W and Corsair RM750i.
The price is the same, but:
12 years warranty for Seasonic; 5 years for Corsair in my country;
Corsair has a monitoring function, even though I may start it once and forget it, but it's nice. He is also 750W versus 650W for Seasonic. I read that Seasonic can have a squeal of chokes, which is critical for me and I can not stand it, but I did not see how things are going with the Prime Ultra Gold 650W.
In general, Seasonic is captivating with a guarantee, and Corsair has more, but it will be a shame if after 6 years Corsair fails, who thinks about it.
BP chose from criteria - silence, full modularity, price up to $ 185
Online store: https://can.ua/psu/c1478/

P.S.: sry for my eng... ?

38 minutes ago, baxenko said:

? Guys, flour choice between the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W and Corsair RM750i.
Corsair has a monitoring function, even though I may start it once and forget it, but it's nice. He is also 750W versus 650W for Seasonic. I read that Seasonic can have a squeal of chokes, which is critical for me and I can not stand it, but I did not see how things are going with the Prime Ultra Gold 650W.
In general, Seasonic is captivating with a guarantee, and Corsair has more, but it will be a shame if after 6 years Corsair fails, who thinks about it.
BP chose from criteria - silence, full modularity, price up to $ 185
Online store: https://can.ua/psu/c1478/

P.S.: sry for my eng... ?

RM750i? 5 year warranty? @jonnyGURU is that correct?

I'd probably go for the Corsair either way.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

19 minutes ago, LienusLateTips said:

RM750i? 5 year warranty? @jonnyGURU is that correct?

I'd probably go for the Corsair either way.

10 year warranty on the RMi units.

1 hour ago, baxenko said:

choice between the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W and Corsair RM750i.

The Corsair RMi units have 10 year warranty, worldwide. If you need to make a claim you will ship the unit to Corsair in another country regardless. No reason that the warranty would be less in your country.

What system are you buying the PSU for? What specs? Might not need a 650/750W PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, baxenko said:

Guys, flour choice between the Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 650W and Corsair RM750i.

Corsair, hands down.

2 hours ago, baxenko said:

No, you have either 7 or 10 years. The Warranty is worldwide.

But that is not the important part.

The important part is what happens when your unit fails, where do you have to send it and how much does it cost??

Having 20 Year Warranty is useless, if you have to spend 50€ to send it to the RMA Center.

That is also something to keep in mind.

Also You need your receit for it as well.

12 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

The important part is what happens when your unit fails, where do you have to send it and how much does it cost??

Having 20 Year Warranty is useless, if you have to spend 50€ to send it to the RMA Center.

That is also something to keep in mind.

Right. Officially, corsair power supplies are not brought to Ukraine. And I do not consider delivery to other countries as a minimum because the tax, the price of delivery and time.

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

What specs? Might not need a 650/750W PSU

Did not mention a config since I myself do not know what other PC I will be collecting, at the moment - 4790k (4.6 Hz), GTX 1070 (2000mhz), 2xSSD (no HDD). But it will all become irrelevant this summer, because I'm going to update the PC and start with the power supply, presumably it will be zen2\9900K + gtx 1080TI. Because I look "future".

7 minutes ago, baxenko said:

Right. Officially, corsair power supplies are not brought to Ukraine. And I do not consider delivery to other countries as a minimum because the tax, the price of delivery and time.

Hmm, maybe I'm making a bit of a leap here but I've seen other people mention that they will buy grey market PSUs from people that buy the units in another country and then import them in to the country, and end up avoid paying tax on them so sell them for like $20-$30 cheaper than what they cost in stores (if the local stores even sell that brand). Is that how you'd be sourcing the Corsair units? From someone who buys in another country and brings back across the border without paying tax on them? Because if that's the case then you probably won't have a receipt and won't be able to claim any warranty at all. The dodgy bloke selling goods without paying tax on them definitely isn't going to honour warranty if they are faulty either.

If you care about warranty, make sure you buy from a proper retailer so that you won't have any issues proving you purchased it legitimately if you ever do need to submit a warranty claim.

11 minutes ago, baxenko said:

Did not mention a config since I myself do not know what other PC I will be collecting, at the moment - 4790k (4.6 Hz), GTX 1070 (2000mhz), 2xSSD (no HDD). But it will all become irrelevant this summer, because I'm going to update the PC and start with the power supply, presumably it will be zen2\9900K + gtx 1080TI. Because I look "soon". 

Unless your current PSU is bad and needs replacing, I'd just wait until you have a plan for what your system will be and then think about what PSU you need for the system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450