PSU Tier List [OLD]

Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

This is a legacy list. It is no longer being updated.

The new PSU Tier List can be found here:

Yeah, it is, but none of the cheaper ones are appropriate.

If you wouldn't buy a bike instead of a car, then by the same logic you shouldn't buy a bad PSU instead of at least a budget one.

2 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

Yeah, it is, but none of the cheaper ones are appropriate.

If you wouldn't buy a bike instead of a car, then by the same logic you shouldn't buy a bad PSU instead of at least a budget one.

That's a bit expensive for me what do you think about other cheaper model or the antec semi modular one?

2 minutes ago, Happuness said:

That's a bit expensive for me what do you think about other cheaper model or the antec semi modular one?

All of the cheaper ones, including Antec, use group regulation technology which isn't suitable for modern systems. By "modern" we mean last 5-6 years...

29 minutes ago, OrionFOTL said:

All of the cheaper ones, including Antec, use group regulation technology which isn't suitable for modern systems. By "modern" we mean last 5-6 years...

My current pc is a potato tho xD

If I've to choose between the Thermaltake/Antec or a similar priced corsair which one should I buy?

Short on budget :(

Thanks for the replies :)

Guys, if HX850 is about 30usd more than RM850x, is it worth the extras? 

Currently I manage to find a RM850x for MYR 565 while HX850 for MYR 662. 

So, I'm not sure if HX850 is worth the extra cost. Does it offer anything more other than the 12v rail and the platinum? 

Is the quality better on the HX850? 

Thanks!

maybe

multi rail instead of single rail is a big advantage though.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

11 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

maybe

multi rail instead of single rail is a big advantage though.

what does multi rail actually do tbh? haha.. 

Just now, Tamago_Sushi said:

what does multi rail actually do tbh? haha.. 

About the same as the breaker in your box, fuses.

Limiting the max. Current, so switching off the PSU when you draw more current on that rail than its set for.

Its an advantage because of that.

22 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

About the same as the breaker in your box, fuses.

Limiting the max. Current, so switching off the PSU when you draw more current on that rail than its set for.

Its an advantage because of that.

Hmm.. Though is the capasitors any better than RM850x? I recall nowadays almost all the psu come with multi rail.. no? :o 

1 minute ago, Tamago_Sushi said:

Hmm.. Though is the capasitors any better than RM850x? I recall nowadays almost all the psu come with multi rail.. no? :o 

Some do, some don't. Caps are fine for both, IIRC

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

4 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Some do, some don't. Caps are fine for both, IIRC

I guess I'll just stick with the RM850x then and save myself a few bucks haha... 

I mean if HX850 is better in the long run, then I wouldnt mind spending a bit more.. but if they're the same then I'll just save the money xD 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dMM323/evga-supernova-g3-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0750

Tier 2?!?!?

I wish I had seen this list before buying.

Not that tier 2 is bad....but I like to have the best stuff. Lol.

Another tech forum informed me that the EVGA G3 was perfect.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

2 hours ago, AmpedUpDad said:

Some of them still think that loud group regulated PSU without much protection are good because of the right label and "awesome caps"...

G3 is just rather loud and could have better protection, electrically it should be fine.

15 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Some of them still think that loud group regulated PSU without much protection are good because of the right label and "awesome caps"...

G3 is just rather loud and could have better protection, electrically it should be fine.

I  mean... I haven't opened it yet, I could always send it back and get one from the tier 1 group.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

21 hours ago, AmpedUpDad said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dMM323/evga-supernova-g3-750w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0750

Tier 2?!?!?

I wish I had seen this list before buying.

Not that tier 2 is bad....but I like to have the best stuff. Lol.

Just because it is not perfect does not make it good enough. Plus the list a joke with its current weightings(bad components or ripple is a minor offense compared to +20% over ideal occ protection :D)

8 minutes ago, thinwalrus said:

Just because it is not perfect does not make it good enough. Plus the list a joke with its current weightings(bad components or ripple is a minor compared to +20% over ideal occ protection :D)

Yeah, tbh, I rethought what I typed as soon as I did.

It's good enough.  

I really want to get all my other updated parts to get my new system built. 

2 hours ago, Happuness said:

At least here you can get Seasonic Focus Plus for about the same money and Corsair RMX is 10€ more. So bad value unless its cheap as it has some low tier caps inside that wont age well.

https://www.overclockers.com/cooler-master-mwe-gold-750-power-supply-review/

On 3/1/2019 at 12:09 AM, thinwalrus said:

At least here you can get Seasonic Focus Plus for about the same money and Corsair RMX is 10€ more. So bad value unless its cheap as it has some low tier caps inside that wont age well.

It's around 90 usd here and Seasonic M12II-620 80 Plus Bronze cost around 105 usd xD

5 hours ago, Happuness said:

It's around 90 usd here and Seasonic M12II-620 80 Plus Bronze cost around 105 usd xD

MWE Gold is probably better than Seasonic M12II-620W.

Why people still consider this overpriced old thing that gets beat by many lower end unit in terms of electrical performance, I will never understand...

Remember: CAPS do NOT make a PSU!
Its more complicated than to look at the caps and say "that has Wapanese Caps, made in China, its better/last longer". Thats total nonsense.

On 2/28/2019 at 7:09 PM, thinwalrus said:

Elite Caps are fine. Its not about the caps. That's absolute bullshit.

It depends on the electrical performance more and there my similar Performance X is fine and I'd prefer that 10 times over the S12II stuff (620W and below)...

11 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

MWE Gold is probably better than Seasonic M12II-620W.

Why people still consider this overpriced old thing that gets beat by many lower end unit in terms of electrical performance, I will never understand...

Remember: CAPS do NOT make a PSU!
Its more complicated than to look at the caps and say "that has Wapanese Caps, made in China, its better/last longer". Thats total nonsense.

heh he I was suggested to get that seasonic over corsair tx550m xD

Btw what do you which one will be better choice?

This cooler master(MWE 650watt gold full modular)psu or corsair tx550m semi modular?

Price :

CM PSU = 89

Corsair PSU = 95

10 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Elite Caps are fine. Its not about the caps. That's absolute bullshit.

It depends on the electrical performance more and there my similar Performance X is fine and I'd prefer that 10 times over the S12II stuff (620W and below)...

And what happens when the caps start to degrade? Electrical performance takes a nose dive.

1 hour ago, thinwalrus said:

And what happens when the caps start to degrade? Electrical performance takes a nose dive.

And what happens when the Electrical Performance is shit anyway?!

Like the S12II-Bronze (620W and below)

Or what happens when hte PSU is screeching because of the GPU??

Even with lower quality caps we're talking about a couple of years of usability. 

And if you didn't see it, the Cooler Master Master Watt MWE Gold has 4 Polymer Caps right next to the 12V Rectifiers that "take the edge off" and also a couple of ceramic caps that are also very important for Ripple/Noise.

The Electrolytic caps in that Cooler Master are still fine lower end Caps. 

We're not talking about buttom of the barrel stuff, we're talking about decent quality mid range stuff, comparable to (or even better than) Teapo SC...

And what you're also forgettin gis the 5V Standby Chip. That thing tends to explode when the PSU is a bit older and at its end of its life.

Or the MOSFETs that might (or might not) die.

Or all the passives that might (or might not) cause Trouble.

Just focussing on one part of a PSU is stupid and makes no sense if you don't know anything about the Rest of the unit and have data on that - wich you don't.

So the "Wapanese" Caps, made in China, are just Marketing Bullshit in some cases or putting lipstick on a pig. The S12II (up to 620W) is comparable or even worse than Cooler Master Master Watt Lite in electrical terms. And even lacks Protection as well...

Just look at the "why you shouldn't buy S12II Bronze in 2017 or 2018" in this Forum...

Its not a good PSU, never was a good PSU!
It was, when it was released, at best mediocre. But today its buttom of the barrel stuff.that got beaten the shit out of it by the worst stuff a Company makes. For example Corsair VS should be performing better than the S12II-Bronze.

Hell even a Xilence Performance C delivered comparable performance for around half the price.

And it should be obvious that a 10 year old design doesn't perform all that great when compared to newer units, should it?!

heh he I was suggested to get that seasonic over corsair tx550m xD

The Seasonic S12II-Bronze?!

You can tell those people that they have no idea what they are talking about as the S12II-Bronze is very loud: 

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-520_bronze/?s=all

You can see that the fan revs up at around 100W Load, at 200W Load its already around 1700rpm...

And doesn't have OCP on minor rails, doesn't even have Under Voltage protection for 12V.

And the 350W version of it even died in a Computerbase test...

Btw what do you which one will be better choice?

This cooler master(MWE 650watt gold full modular)psu or corsair tx550m semi modular?

Price :

CM PSU = 89

Corsair PSU = 95

I don't know. You have to decide, what's more important for you.

But wouldn't the Master Watt MWE550W be cheaper than the TX??

They have both their advantages and disadvantages.

5 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

And what happens when the Electrical Performance is shit anyway?!

Like the S12II-Bronze (620W and below)

Or what happens when hte PSU is screeching because of the GPU??

Even with lower quality caps we're talking about a couple of years of usability. 

And if you didn't see it, the Cooler Master Master Watt MWE Gold has 4 Polymer Caps right next to the 12V Rectifiers that "take the edge off" and also a couple of ceramic caps that are also very important for Ripple/Noise.

The Electrolytic caps in that Cooler Master are still fine lower end Caps. 

We're not talking about buttom of the barrel stuff, we're talking about decent quality mid range stuff, comparable to (or even better than) Teapo SC...

And what you're also forgettin gis the 5V Standby Chip. That thing tends to explode when the PSU is a bit older and at its end of its life.

Or the MOSFETs that might (or might not) die.

Or all the passives that might (or might not) cause Trouble.

Just focussing on one part of a PSU is stupid and makes no sense if you don't know anything about the Rest of the unit and have data on that - wich you don't.

So the "Wapanese" Caps, made in China, are just Marketing Bullshit in some cases or putting lipstick on a pig. The S12II (up to 620W) is comparable or even worse than Cooler Master Master Watt Lite in electrical terms. And even lacks Protection as well...

Just look at the "why you shouldn't buy S12II Bronze in 2017 or 2018" in this Forum...

Its not a good PSU, never was a good PSU!
It was, when it was released, at best mediocre. But today its buttom of the barrel stuff.that got beaten the shit out of it by the worst stuff a Company makes. For example Corsair VS should be performing better than the S12II-Bronze.

Hell even a Xilence Performance C delivered comparable performance for around half the price.

And it should be obvious that a 10 year old design doesn't perform all that great when compared to newer units, should it?!

The Seasonic S12II-Bronze?!

You can tell those people that they have no idea what they are talking about as the S12II-Bronze is very loud: 

https://ru.gecid.com/power/seasonic_s12ii-520_bronze/?s=all

You can see that the fan revs up at around 100W Load, at 200W Load its already around 1700rpm...

And doesn't have OCP on minor rails, doesn't even have Under Voltage protection for 12V.

And the 350W version of it even died in a Computerbase test...

I don't know. You have to decide, what's more important for you.

But wouldn't the Master Watt MWE550W be cheaper than the TX??

They have both their advantages and disadvantages.

If those cheap caps were good enough, no one would use Japanese caps. There would no need to waste money on those more expensive parts.

You are making comparisons on compromises. I would not make a compromise. Are you a Be Quiet rep? :D