Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List [OLD]

What was the verdict for the EVGA B3 to eventually land it in Tier 4? I don't want to go through 100+ pages (page 135 or so, onward, when the initial bait and switch controversy happened).

Mayonnaise is an instrument!  (*: Makes use of "Limited Unlocked" found in Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge i5 and i7 CPUs)

From the XPS Institute to the HAF way house -  Core i7 2600 @ 3.8 GHz*, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER , MSI Z77A G45, RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) 2133MHz G.Skill Trident X, WD 1 TB Blue, PNY GTX 970, CM HAF 912, Seasonic Platinum XP2 660, Creative Labs X Fi Titanium

1 hour ago, PatrikStar24 said:

What was the verdict for the EVGA B3 to eventually land it in Tier 4? I don't want to go through 100+ pages (page 135 or so, onward, when the initial bait and switch controversy happened).

Well, when the bait and switch happened it was in Tier 5, and then we eventually just threw it in Tier 4 because new ones were fine.

I like PSUs for some odd reason. Feel free to ask me about PSU questions.

Helios EVO: Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | Sapphire AMD RX VEGA 64 | Define C TG | Corsair CX550M | Cooler Master Hyper 212 BLACK RGB

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List 3.0 | Don't buy the S12II/M12II | Avoid the EVGA G3

Quick PSU Whitelist: Cooler Master MasterWatt/V/MasterWatt Maker/MIJ, EVGA x2/xQ bar BQ, All Corsair grey units bar VS and HXi/AXi, All SeaSonic bar M12II series/ECO, Thermaltake Toughpower line/iRGB +

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Hi, I've just bought a new RM750X and noticed that when I turn my PC off it produces an annoying buzzing noise which is not that loud but in a silent small room like mine can be heard distinctively even a couple of meters away from my computer.

The moment I flip the PSU switch off, the buzzing ceases to exist, but it's very annoying having to do that every single time.

Also the very wierd thing is that the buzzing also disappears when I turn my PC on.

I really hope I'm not going to be once again disappointed by Corsair and their presumably "high end" products... back in 2010 I bought a HX 650 which was also considered "professional" and in not even two years of mild usage it began coil whining. 

My previous Seasonic never had any issues like this... is this normal or should I ask for RMA?

I asked on Corsair presumably "official support" forum but I've been greatly ignored so far... so I've endend up opening a ticket on the support page for just to be sure about what to do. I'm done with paying premium price for (probably) defective products.

5 minutes ago, arkantos91 said:

-snip-

Coil whine is normal on all PSU, no matter the brand. Sounds like it's on the 5Vsb rail. 

Women. They are a complete mystery.

-Stephen Hawking

I think the hoomans put their builds here?

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo + 2x ML120

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 MHz CL15 (Micron B-die) @2933 MHz

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 Dual-X @1120 MHz / 1450 MHz

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Seasonic Prime Titanium 650W

Logitech G710 with Kailh Box Jade

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

4GB (probably) DDR4 2133 MHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 0.3-1.0 GHz

128GB Samsung MZ7LF128HCHP

Corsair M65 Pro RGB (worst mouse I've ever had)

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

Hello fellow night theme users

On 2/15/2019 at 10:20 AM, seon123 said:

Coil whine is normal on all PSU, no matter the brand. Sounds like it's on the 5Vsb rail. 

I don't think it can be classified as "coil whine", it's a clear buzzing noise.

As a matter of fact, I've opened a ticket on Corsair Support and first thing they say it's "let's get this fixed under warranty".

Now, I don't know what they mean with "fixing" but I'm not going to accept any replacement, let alone repairing the one I currently own.

What I'm sure of is they're not going to take any chances of being responsible for heavier risks that could involve other part of my system.

Maybe it's just me being extremely unlucky with Corsair PSU (3 out of 3 I owned had issues) but I frankly expected more from their "tier 1" psus....

Their official support forum has many other threads of people reporting the same issues with similar psus.

I think I'm going to ask for a full refund and go for Seasonic or EVGA.

22 minutes ago, arkantos91 said:

I don't think it can be classified as "coil whine", it's a clear buzzing noise.

As a matter of fact, I've opened a ticket on Corsair Support and first thing they say it's "let's get this fixed under warranty".

Now, I don't know what they mean with "fixing" but I'm not going to accept any replacement, let alone repairing the one I currently own.

What I'm sure of is they're not going to take any chances of being responsible for heavier risks that could involve other part of my system.

Maybe it's just me being extremely unlucky with Corsair PSU (3 out of 3 I owned had issues) but I frankly expected more from their "tier 1" psus....

Their official support forum has many other threads of people reporting the same issues with similar psus.

I think I'm going to ask for a full refund and go for Seasonic or EVGA.

Not even my CX850M does that when idle. It only buzzes while under a gaming load, and newer units (White label CX series from 2018 as opposed to Green label from 2015) have the problem fixed...via a shitload of glue/resin over components that could have been the offenders.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Not even my CX850M does that when idle. It only buzzes while under a gaming load, and newer units (White label CX series from 2018 as opposed to Green label from 2015) have the problem fixed...via a shitload of glue/resin over components that could have been the offenders.

Sad thing is that mine is a 2018 unit.. I could maybe understand if the buzzing noise was under load, but while the PC is off.... I won't bother taking this risk honestly

https://www.hepsiburada.com/power-supply-psu-c-1012

https://inventus.com.tr/mi_products/ProductList.aspx?DTID=41

https://www.incehesap.com/gaming-power-supply-fiyatlari/

Can you people help me pick a PSU from these websites? Honestly almost none of the PSUs that listed here are not sold in my country, Turkey. I currently ran i5 8400 and gtx 1080 on a corsair vs600 and I just want safe and reliable power before something goes wrong. But also cant seem to find any respecteable psu. only psus that I can find from this list are 750+ watt ones and honestly i dont think my system needs that much power

i have spare money lying around have about 400-500 TL budget right now. I would appreciate suggestions according to these

(https://www.hepsiburada.com/cooler-master-watt-600w-80-aktif-pfc-120mm-fanli-psu-mpx-6001-acabw-eu-p-HBV0000044VKR?magaza=Hepsiburada this one is fake btw. its masterwatt lite. i checked the original code and website. and heard masterwatt lite and normal masterwatt are way different and lite should be avoided :( )

2 hours ago, viceice said:

(https://www.hepsiburada.com/cooler-master-watt-600w-80-aktif-pfc-120mm-fanli-psu-mpx-6001-acabw-eu-p-HBV0000044VKR?magaza=Hepsiburada this one is fake btw. its masterwatt lite. i checked the original code and website. and heard masterwatt lite and normal masterwatt are way different and lite should be avoided :( )

Yes... The MasterWatt and MasterWatt Lite are completely different units.
What do you mean by fake though? Did you think that it was a MasterWatt (non Lite)? The pics clearly show it's a Masterwatt Lite...

Spoiler

image.png.15129fd145f57fa11ef2813f35d3d5e2.png

Looked at the links you provided. I can't see anything there worth buying within your 400TL budget. Even a budget PSU like the Corsair VS550 (grey label) starts at 480TL. If you're powering a GTX 1080 system, you're going to want to spend a bit more on your PSU. I looked up what the prices are in USD, and that 480TL VS550 is $90 USD... You're massively getting ripped off on PSU prices where you live... Sorry...

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, NobleArch said:

Tier 4 PSU would be fine in my opinion for that system. Grab a 450W unit, Tier 4 or higher. Something like the Corsair VS450 would be fine and looking at the price it seems rather reasonable. https://www.ect.my/Corsair-VS-Series-VS450-450W-UK-Version-PSU-80-PLUS-UK?search=VS450

11 minutes ago, NobleArch said:

No, please don't use that PSU. You don't need 600W (even though that PSU is only 24A on 12V so really it's more like a 300W PSU). Looks like it's at least a 10 year old design. It's priced at RM79 which is $19 USD... It's junk.

image.png.ee04cafc93380e185435e32abe26e57b.png
IDE CONNECTORS!!?
Operating Temperature: 4°C? Fucking 4°C?!?... Finally someone making PSUs for Antarctic researchers.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Tier 4 PSU would be fine in my opinion for that system. Grab a 450W unit, Tier 4 or higher. Something like the Corsair VS450 would be fine and looking at the price it seems rather reasonable. https://www.ect.my/Corsair-VS-Series-VS450-450W-UK-Version-PSU-80-PLUS-UK?search=VS450

No, please don't use that PSU. You don't need 600W (even though that PSU is only 24A on 12V so really it's more like a 300W PSU). Looks like it's at least a 10 year old design. It's priced at RM79 which is $19 USD... It's junk.

image.png.ee04cafc93380e185435e32abe26e57b.png
IDE CONNECTORS!!?
Operating Temperature: 4°C? Fucking 4°C?!?... Finally someone making PSUs for Antarctic researchers.

lol. noted.

I have one question about the label on psu rated 400w without 80+. 12v1 with 15A, 12v2 with 16A. Is the true power 372w?
I forgot where I see it. Can I believe the label?

thanks.

4 hours ago, viceice said:

The cheapest good one over there starts with Corsair CX650M https://www.hepsiburada.com/corsair-cx650m-650w-80-plus-bronze-12-cm-fan-cp-9020103-eu-yari-moduler-psu-p-HBV0000043R2I?magaza=Gelbura, nothing good below that price.

1 hour ago, NobleArch said:

I have one question about the label on psu rated 400w without 80+. 12v1 with 15A, 12v2 with 16A. Is the true power 372w?

No, the true power is 400W.

There's also an additional limit of 180W on one 12V rail, 192W on another 12V rail, an unknown combined limit of both 12V rails, and unknown limits of 5V, 3.3V, and combined 5V&3.3V limit.

That's assuming the manufacturer doesn't lie about the capabilities of the unit.

2 hours ago, Spotty said:

Yes... The MasterWatt and MasterWatt Lite are completely different units.
What do you mean by fake though? Did you think that it was a MasterWatt (non Lite)? The pics clearly show it's a Masterwatt Lite...

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.15129fd145f57fa11ef2813f35d3d5e2.png

Looked at the links you provided. I can't see anything there worth buying within your 400TL budget. Even a budget PSU like the Corsair VS550 (grey label) starts at 480TL. If you're powering a GTX 1080 system, you're going to want to spend a bit more on your PSU. I looked up what the prices are in USD, and that 480TL VS550 is $90 USD... You're massively getting ripped off on PSU prices where you live... Sorry...

By fake, I meant the title and page itself. Product title does not contain any info about it being "the lite" version. 

Yeah, i figured that much. :( I dont know why our retailers try to rip off us by these limited choice of PSUs. Many people here sadly builds their PCs with those PSUs. How bad they are? Can they really fuck up the system itself? 

I'm also on the "grey" VS600. is it okay to use it until its warranty ends? or if something goes wrong can it kill my components?

One more question will be, is it okay to undervolt my gpu to prevent any psu related issues? when i let gpu fun its full performance, it runs at 1062 mv and peaks at 180-190 watt consumption. at the peak consumtpion, 12v rail degrades from 12.288 to 12.000. then i undervolt it to 900 mv, now its peak consumption is 110-120 watt and 12v rail does not fall below 12.096. is this a safe way to use this system? at least until for a psu change? right know, i dont need the extra performance 1080 gives to me (i5 8400 bottlenecks it, and i also play at 1080p so i m okay to lose out some performance. i undervolt it to 900 mv 1898 mhz). honestly my original system was i5 8400 and gtx 1050ti but then a friend of mine sold his 1080 to me for a really bargaining price. but i didnt mind its huge power consumption at that time. :) but psu was always a question mark for me even in the original system.

@OrionFOTL Thank you my friend, I think will force my budget and go with that one. :) 

23 minutes ago, viceice said:

Yeah, i figured that much. :( I dont know why our retailers try to rip off us by these limited choice of PSUs. Many people here sadly builds their PCs with those PSUs. How bad they are? Can they really fuck up the system itself? 

Sadly they can and that would be bad for a 1080 which is a great and expensive card. Try to go with the CX650  you ve been advised.

On 2/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, viceice said:

One more question will be, is it okay to undervolt my gpu to prevent any psu related issues?

I'd say, yes. I know few ppl with Vega56 who purposefully undervolt-underclock their GPU-s. Would not hurt.

1 hour ago, KENBAL420 said:

What tier is my Psu? 

Burn in hell because its 10 years old.

It was OKish when it came out, but PSU ain't no wine, it don't get better, it gets worse, things change.

Replace it ASAP, before you replace a GPU or other stuff...

Even if it seems to work.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

On 7/22/2016 at 9:50 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

(snip)

While picking through PSU's on PCPartPicker for a friend's build, I came across this InWin unit that isn't in the tier list.  Where should it be?  It's 80+ Gold, Semi-Modular, but I'm not super crazy about the 4 x +12V rails.  The price seems quite decent ($60) if the internals check-out:  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGO2J1Q/?tag=pcpapi-20

4 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

While picking through PSU's on PCPartPicker for a friend's build, I came across this InWin unit that isn't in the tier list.  Where should it be?  It's 80+ Gold, Semi-Modular, but I'm not super crazy about the 4 x 12V+ rails.  The price seems quite decent ($60) if the internals check-out:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGO2J1Q/?tag=pcpapi-20

Ripple and hold up time isn't good (70mV on 12V and 11,6ms), but the rest looks fine. The 4x 12V rails are sensibly configured, so it just means more protection, and it shouldn't cause any issues. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/InWin/CommanderIII_600W/

-Stephen Hawking

Why do you hoomans give your builds a name? Here's my build, which I shall call "Do as I Say, Not As I Do" (seriously, don't get this build)

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

And my laptop, which I shall call "If It's Stupid But It Works" (It can actually play CS:GO at 50 FPS, and Civ V at 25 FPS)

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

And here would be where I would put a picture of my cat. But apparently, images are not allowed here. So take this instead (*ΦωΦ*)

2 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

What tier would you give it as a result?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Like 4 or 5? 

-Stephen Hawking

Spoiler

Ryzen 1500X @3,925 GHz

MSI B350 Tomahawk Arctic

120GB 850 Evo

120GB Kingston SSD

500GB WD Blue

Cooler Master Elite 430

Logitech G502

HyperX Cloud

Spoiler

Lenovo Thinkpad L460

Intel Core i3 6100U

Sennheiser CX 5.00G

7 hours ago, seon123 said:

Ripple and hold up time isn't good (70mV on 12V and 11,6ms), but the rest looks fine. The 4x 12V rails are sensibly configured, so it just means more protection, and it shouldn't cause any issues. 

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/InWin/CommanderIII_600W/

No OTP either, so if that fan fails poof.

7 hours ago, LogicWeasel said:

What tier would you give it as a result?

Find something else. You can get better stuff for $60. 

I see my focus + platinum in tier2 but tier 1 has seasonic platinum... Is that actual name or any platinum rated seasonic? #confused

3 minutes ago, Kucky1207 said:

I see my focus + platinum in tier2 but tier 1 has seasonic platinum... Is that actual name or any platinum rated seasonic? #confused

"Platinum" is a series of PSU by Seasonic. Not to be confused with other PSUs which have an 80+ Platinum efficiency rating.
https://seasonic.com/platinum-xp2-xp3

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/P1200/