• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
STRMfrmXMN

PSU Tier List [OLD]

7 hours ago, ears_ears said:

B3 should be tier 7 because it's a fire hazard

Also the gap with tier 3 and tier 4 is HUGE

It's quite a competitive budget design, and not a fire hazard.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/be-quiet-s9-evga-b3-80plus-bronze-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

Not that I support the tier list, this PSU is hardly comparable to others in T7, lol.

And no, the gap isn't really huge. For example, the Cougar GX-S (tier 3) IMO is hardly better than the EVGA BQ in tier 4. 

The Cougar is loud, no inrush protection, ripple is only OK.

No matter who makes this PSU tier list, it will have flaws and controversy. That's a given. You cant sort power supplies into simple categories.

Hello, so the thing is, my old PC (planing to replace whole new pc, in 1 year or so..) is having some problems with PSU. So i'm looking for something dirt cheap, but also kinda good to replace it. Anyone could give me some psu names?

That are cheap, but also silent mainly silent or olsmot no noise?

Budget would be around 40-60$

More psu names the better 😃 Watts i would need 450 if i'm not mistaken? From wall while gaming it's pulling around 380..

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Thanks for helping in advance. 😘

22 minutes ago, IDontKnoww said:

Hello, so the thing is, my old PC (planing to replace whole new pc, in 1 year or so..) is having some problems with PSU. So i'm looking for something dirt cheap, but also kinda good to replace it. Anyone could give me some psu names?

More psu names the better 😃 Watts i would need 450 if i'm not mistaken? From wall while gaming it's pulling around 380..

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Where are you from? Can you provide a link to a store?

47 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

Where are you from? Can you provide a link to a store?

Can get any psu via online, but here are some stores> 

https://www.dateks.lv/cenas/psu-barosanas-bloki

https://www.1a.lv/datoru_komponentes_tikla_produkti/korpuss_dzesesana/barosanas_bloki?search_text=Barošanas+bloki+(PSU)

https://m79.lv/datorukomponentes/barosanasbloki

They all offer more or less the same.. Can get any psu of psu list's..

Hello i finally gathered the money to buy a pc.I've found a seasonic focus plus 550 platinum and a bitfenix formula gold 750w for the about the same price 90€.I'm planning to pair it with a vega 56 the thing is i want to oc and flash vega 64 bios on it will 550w do the job?Thanks.

4 hours ago, Panos_Vl said:

Hello i finally gathered the money to buy a pc.I've found a seasonic focus plus 550 platinum and a bitfenix formula gold 750w for the about the same price 90€.I'm planning to pair it with a vega 56 the thing is i want to oc and flash vega 64 bios on it will 550w do the job?Thanks.

For the same price, I would take the 750W

DIOCLETIAN III : CPU: Core i7-8700K @5.0GhZ || CPU COOLER : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 || MOBO : ASUS STRIX Z370-E || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Strix OC || RAM: 2x8GB GeIL Super Luce RGB Sync || SSDs: 970 EVO 250GB (Boot), 850 EVO 1TB, MX500 1TB | PSU: EVGA G2 850W w/CableMod cables || Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG RGB SE || Monitor: Acer Predator X34A ||  KEYBOARD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (MX Browns) || Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero with deskpad || Audio: SteelSeries Arctis 5, Blue Snowball iCE || Case Fans : 3x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax ||

MAXIMIAN II  : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9GhZ || CPU COOLER : Cooler Master ML240L w/ Noctua NF-S12B Reduxes || MOBO : MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon || GPU: ASUS GTX 1080 Strix || RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Aegis (2666) || SSD: Crucial P1 500GB, TeamGroup L5 Lite 3D 240GB || HDD: Barracuda 2TB || PSU: SeaSonic Focus+ Gold 650W w/ Cablemod extensions || CASE: Phanteks P300 Black || Monitor: ACER KG1 1440p 144HZ || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow X Chroma TE  || Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 310 || Audio: HyperX Cloud Alpha || Case Fans : Noctua NF-S12B Redux x2, Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-2000 ||

LAPTOP - Dell XPS 15 9570: CPU: Core i7-8750H || GPU: GTX 1050 Ti 4GB || RAM: 2*8GB SODIMM || SSD: 512GB M.2 SSD || CASE: 15.6" Laptop with dBrand skin || Monitor: 15" 3840x2160 Touchscreen ||  KEYBOARD: Laptop keyboard  || Mouse: Logitech G502 || Audio: HyperX Cloud II

MARCUS AURELIUS II (HTPC) : CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @4.1 GhZ || CPU COOLER : Corsair H115i Pro || MOBO : Gigabyte B450M-DS3H || GPU: MSi GTX 1660 Ti  || RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3000) || SSD: 850 Evo 500GB || HDD: WD Blue 1TB || PSU: Corsair TX550M w/ CableMod extensions || CASE: Corsair 280X Crystal || Monitor: LG 65SK8000PUA 65" 4K TV || KEYBOARD: Corsair K63 Wireless || Mouse: Logitech M720 (Poor man's MX Master) || Audio: Bose Solo 5 Sound Bar || Case Fans : 1x Noctua P14S Redux, 1x S340 Elite case fan

TEST BOX  : CPU: Core i5-7500 || CPU COOLER : Enermax ET-ST40 Fit || MOBO : Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI || GPU: Palit GTX 1050 Ti || RAM: 1x8GB G.Skill Aegis || SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB || HDD: WD Green 500GB x2 || PSU: Corsair CX750M || CASE: Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 || Monitor: ViewSonic 21.5" 1080p || KEYBOARD: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2016  || Mouse: HyperX Pulsefire || Audio: Some $20 Walmart special || Case Fans : 3x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 ||

OTHER : Old laptop (i5, iGPU, 500GB SSD) || Various Q2Q Dells || White MacBook with 240GB Inland SSD

MOBILE : Galaxy S7 (32GB + 64GB uSD) || iPad Air 2 || Rooted Kindle FIre 7" ||

Ongoing projects : PowerMac G5 conversion ||

Forum salt merchant so granted by @dizmo, Grand Deacon of the Glorious Brethren and Guardians of the Most High Overlords Asus and Arctic Cooling. All hail thy lord and savior the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE

14 hours ago, Rexper said:

It's quite a competitive budget design, and not a fire hazard.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/be-quiet-s9-evga-b3-80plus-bronze-test/3/#abschnitt_schutzschaltungen

Not that I support the tier list, this PSU is hardly comparable to others in T7, lol.

And no, the gap isn't really huge. For example, the Cougar GX-S (tier 3) IMO is hardly better than the EVGA BQ in tier 4. 

The Cougar is loud, no inrush protection, ripple is only OK.

No matter who makes this PSU tier list, it will have flaws and controversy. That's a given. You cant sort power supplies into simple categories.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-6.html

OPP doesn't work

4 hours ago, ears_ears said:

a) with the Sample Toms Hardware had

b) Computerbase disagrees

c) its possible that they fixed it. Wich should be a relatively easy fix as all you need to do is to get an engineer to calculate some resistors. And change the Resistors in the Pick and Place Machine. That's a rather trivial fix...

Oh and there is also another possible fix: You use better MOSFETs on the Primary side.

As its the Primary Swtiching MOSFETs that exploded the input voltage doesn't really matter in this case...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

14 hours ago, IDontKnoww said:

PC parts:

GPU - gtx 660 oc gaming

CPU - amd fx-8120

Mobo - asrock 970 pro3

1 hdd 5 fans..

2 sticks of ram

Anyone any examples? ☹️

1 minute ago, bigotee said:

Hi all, is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W overkill for ASUS Strix Vega 56 and a Ryzen 5 2600? 

No, but rather a formula gold 750W instead if you live in the US. 

3 hours ago, bigotee said:

Hi all, is a Seasonic Focus Plus 750W overkill for ASUS Strix Vega 56 and a Ryzen 5 2600? 

"Overkill" is a silly word when we get no details.

Do you have the PSU already?
Is a 650/550W cheaper? Why are you looking at 750w?

That system would be fine with a high quality 550w PSU. If you plan to overclock both CPU + GPU pretty far, I'd suggest a good 650w.

Remember computer power supplies are designed as "pull". They will only deliver what your system needs. So a higher wattage PSU doesn't mean it will consume more power.

Is anything known about Corsair's 2018 RMx units?

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Is anything known about Corsair's 2018 RMx units?

They're top quality of the consumer units (not seasonic Prime. evga P2, corsair ax/hxi series etc. level but also not as expensive) along with the whisper m and the straight power 11. A notch above the EVGA G2/G3, which both are a notch above the Seasonic Focus/Focus+.

1 minute ago, ears_ears said:

They're top quality of the consumer units (not seasonic Prime. evga P2, corsair ax/hxi series etc. level but also not as expensive) along with the whisper m and the straight power 11. A notch above the EVGA G2/G3, which both are a notch above the Seasonic Focus/Focus+.

Alright, I just noticed them on pcpartpicker and didn't see them on the list. Good to know, thanks.

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Alright, I just noticed them on pcpartpicker and didn't see them on the list. Good to know, thanks.

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller on the higher watt units.

On 7/23/2016 at 12:44 PM, STRMfrmXMN said:

Tier 1 - Best

• Corsair - AX, AXi, HXi, RMi, RMx, SF, grey-label HX (2017), 2017 TXM greater than 650W 

They're below the AXi/HXi units (and much cheaper), but above the TXMs. They're good quality units with CWT as the OEM and pretty much what @ears_ears said. They're also good in terms of noise and fan profile as well with a good quality rifle bearing fan. Very quiet units. Comes with 10 year warranty. Only complaints I've heard about them is that they're only single rail and not multi rail.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors, and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller.

They're below the AXi/HXi units (and much cheaper), but above the TXMs. They're good quality units with CWT as the OEM and pretty much what @ears_ears said. They're also good in terms of noise and fan profile as well with a good quality rifle bearing fan. Very quiet units. Comes with 10 year warranty. Only complaints I've heard about them is that they're only single rail and not multi rail.

Good to know.

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

They're Tier 1 on this list (just labelled as RMx). Not really much difference in quality between the older RMx and RMx 2018 models. Main difference between the two is different connectors and the RMx 2018 is physically smaller on the higher watt units.

According to THW the new RMx also comes with 12V OCP unlike the old one 

6 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

AFAIK the old RMx should have OCP on the 12V, 5V, and 3.3V... Do you have a link to the THW article?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

Looks like it's the same situation with the 2018 units using OPP instead of OCP due to them being single rail units. So I was wrong saying it had OCP on either...

Corsair's suite of protection features is complete, aside from OCP on the +12V rail, which is replaced by over-power protection on single-rail PSUs. Active cooling is handled by a 135mm fan with a rifle bearing. Finally, should something go wrong, Corsair covers the RM750x with a 10-year warranty.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

4 hours ago, ears_ears said:

No it doesn't.

It's a single rail PSU, it doesn't have 12V OCP. They use OPP.

PSUs with multiple 12V rails means it should have OCP for 12V, unless they're lying (like the case of Seasonic M12ii).

It's why the OPP and "12V OCP test" triggered at the same time (wattage) at TweakPC

Not sure why the Toms reviews didn't cross out the 12V OCP test. Unfortunately typos aren't too uncommon on Aris' reviews (or atleast TomsHardware).

Hello, which of these psu is better?

Corsair CX550M Semi-Modular

be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W Bronze (no modular)

Price wise they both are around 63$

Maybe there are something better & cheaper?