Is it safe to use 3rd-party storage-allocation tools to allocate otherwise unallocatable space?

I have a 3TB HDD, and when I initially installed Windows, it got formatted as NTFS. Unfortunately, I didn't know that this would mean I could only use 2 of the 3 terabytes. Ever since then, I've had 745GB(I hate market "terabytes" and "gigabytes") that Windows simply will not let me allocate.

Screenshot (63).png

However, after installing a 3rd-party disk-partitioning tool to fix a scam/hacked SD card, I noticed that it gave me the ability to allocate that ghost 745GB to a new volume. Should I trust this? I don't have my hard drive backed up - it's the only one in my rig - so if there's at all a chance that I could corrupt the HDD, I don't wanna go through with it. But if that's unlikely to happen, I'd really like to have my unused storage back.

Yes, it is safe to create a new volume from the unallocated space. I strongly recommend also formatting the new partition when you create the new volume (part of the dialog with Windows 10, but it might just be a checkbox in previous versions of windows or the tool your're using). This will prevent you from having any chance at accidentally formatting your current storage space.

Edited by pianoguy15
Edited for clarity.

You need to convert it to a gpt disk type if you want a 3tb size all at once, the default MBR will only go 2tb or less per partition.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Just now, pianoguy15 said:

Yes, it is safe to create a new volume from the unallocated space. I strongly recommend also formatting the drive when you create the partition (part of the dialog with Windows 10, but it might just be a checkbox in previous versions of windows or the tool your're using). This will prevent you from having any chance at accidentally formatting your current storage space.

You're sure? The drive I'm doing this to is my OS/everything else drive, with a 745GB chunk of space that Windows won't let me allocate. Just need to double-verify.

OP doesn't want to mess with his MBR partition (if I read correctly). They just want to be able to use the unallocated space.

Just now, swordsman247 said:

You need to convert it to a gpt disk type, the default MBR will only go 2tb or less per partition.

Well, my problem is that Windows will not let me do anything to the empty space. I'm asking this question because my thinking is that if Windows isn't letting me do this, there's a good reason.

What is your OS? I've seen Windows 10 do random things with drives (like not allow you to re-format, etc.) that Windows 7 has no issues with.

Just now, fireclaw316 said:

Well, my problem is that Windows will not let me do anything to the empty space. I'm asking this question because my thinking is that if Windows isn't letting me do this, there's a good reason.

Yeah if it's your os drive you need a tool that you can boot from. Windows will not let you mess with the main drive. I recommend minitool free for such things. There is a risk you drive will get messed up though.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Just now, pianoguy15 said:

What is your OS? I've seen Windows 10 do random things with drives (like not allow you to re-format, etc.) that Windows 7 has no issues with.

I initially installed Windows 8.1, but this problem existed then, as well.

I would have no problem using the unallocated space like I recommended. Keep in mind, I would definitely take my time and double-check each step to be sure I'm not messing with the existing partition at all. This is definitely something you don't want to rush, but no need to be afraid. I work for the tech dept. of a school district, so formatting drives is something I do all the time.

My guess (just based on my own experience) is that Windows 8 and later have a "feature" that locks-down a drive with an MBR partition to keep amateurs from breaking things. (This is super ironic to me given that they pushed Windows 10 to install automatically and broke soooo PCs...) Anyway, I've taken HDD that were "locked" in Windows 10 and had no issue formatting in Windows 7. Haven't found a good solution yet, but admittedly haven't dug very far to find one.

5 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

Yeah if it's your os drive you need a tool that you can boot from. Windows will not let you mess with the main drive. I recommend minitool free for such things. There is a risk you drive will get messed up though.

I sometimes think Microsoft makes things this fucking difficult on purpose.

5 minutes ago, swordsman247 said:

I'm pretty confident (90%?) that there is only a "risk" if you are extending your existing MBR partition to fill the whole drive. If you are simply adding a 2nd partition, I don't see any risk that I haven't already mentioned.

1 minute ago, pianoguy15 said:

I'm pretty confident (90%?) that there is only a "risk" if you are extending your existing MBR partition to fill the whole drive. If you are simply adding a 2nd partition, I don't see any risk that I haven't already mentioned.

I don't think I could extend the OS partition even if I wanted to.

If you want to be super duper careful, you could run a disk-check tool on the HDD to verify that it's running well on a hardware level. I recommend Western Digital's free tool called "Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic". It's free, and very easy to use. Just run a "quick check" and make sure it passes (SMART data is the main thing here).

10 minutes ago, fireclaw316 said:

I don't think I could extend the OS partition even if I wanted to.

I've used tools in the past (10 years ago?) that could extend an existing MBR partition to fill a drive. We would use it when cloning a drive onto a larger disc. But I wouldn't even consider this option without a good backup.