Quoting functionality still doesn't work consistently or conveniently

Delicieuxz
Just now, Delicieuxz said:

There were no extra whitespaces at the time of submitting the post, and the quoted text started to the right of the quote] bracket, and the quoted text finished to the left of the [quote bracket.

Sorry, I mean in the resulting post - did it work as expected, or did it break and have blank lines?

HTTP/2 203

27 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Sorry, I mean in the resulting post - did it work as expected, or did it break and have blank lines?

Yes, there are whitespaces in each of the test posts I made in the test forum, where I copied that HTML from, and I think I haven't edited any of those posts :

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

12 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Yes, there are whitespaces in each of the test posts I made in the test forum, where I copied that HTML from, and I think I haven't edited any of those posts :

Ah right, the extra lines in the middle of the post. Unfortunately, they are just an artefact of how Chrome pastes things differently to how the forum wants it, combined with your use of BBCode, which makes it go a bit strange. I will report the bug to the devs, but there is unlikely to be much that they can do about it. You can make it work by using the quote button in the editor rather than using BBCode though.

HTTP/2 203

Unfortunately, this issue has been triaged as not worth the devs' time, so they have declined to fix it, suggesting instead that you use the editor button.

HTTP/2 203

• 2 months later...

FYI, quoting using the [quote}{/quote] tags is acting up even more, lately. When using the 'quote' tags, white spacing are still being added. But now, when editing a post that has quotes made via the 'quote' tags, in the edit post form, the contents of the quotes appear outside of the content boxed within the quotes, and cannot be edited, or highlighted, and are non-selectable.

From thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/667334-battlefield-2142-revive-project/

quoting issues.jpg

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

FYI, quoting using the [quote}{/quote] tags is acting up even more, lately. When using the 'quote' tags, white spacing are still being added. But now, when editing a post that has quotes made via the 'quote' tags, in the edit post form, the contents of the quotes appear outside of the content boxed within the quotes, and cannot be edited, or highlighted, and are non-selectable.

From thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/667334-battlefield-2142-revive-project/

I have reported this to the devs, and they have said that it will be addressed when they spend some time focussing on BBCode, which they said is currently likely to be for the release that I estimate will come out in November/December. For now, the only thing I can suggest is that you use the button on the editor to insert blank quotes.

HTTP/2 203

• 3 months later...

It looks like the issue is still present. I removed all formatting from this text:

quoting.JPG

And it outputs as:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/630880-testing/?do=findComment&comment=9135746

post output.JPG

After pasting into the editor, just before you submit, when the spacing is showing as you want it but previewing (using the rightmost button on the editor) shows that the formatting is messed up, open the dev tools using F12, and switch to the console tab, then paste the following:

$('[id^="cke_topic_comment_"].cke .cke_editable').html()

It should output some text - copy all that text, and paste it here so that I can look into it.

HTTP/2 203

Here it is:

"<p>

A Google product manager has filed a lawsuit against the company for its confidentiality policies on the grounds they violate California labor laws, according to a report from The Information. The suit, filed today in California Superior Court in San Francisco, alleges that Google operates what amounts to an internal “spying program” on its own employees.<br><br></p><p>These policies are put in place to allegedly prevent the leaking of potentially damaging information to regulators or law enforcement. They in turn prohibit employees from speaking out about illegal activity within the company, even to its own lawyers, and encourage them to report other employees suspected of leaking information. The Verge has obtained a copy of the complaint, linked below in full.<br></p><p>...<br>The goal of these confidentiality policies is both to prevent leaking to regulators and law enforcement and to stop employees from handing sensitive information to the press. The suit alleges a Google co-founder — it does not name either Larry Page or Sergey Brin — reiterated at a company all-hands meeting that anyone who leaks confidential info would be terminated.</p><p><br></p><p>However, if Google is found guilty of violating California labor law, it could be fined up to $100 for each of the 12 alleged violations, multiplied by its more than 61,000 employees. That fine doubles to $200 per pay period per employee, up to an entire year, if any of the violations persisted past a single pay period. That means the maximum payout here could be as much as $3.8 billion, netting each Google employee around $14,600, The Information estimates. The suit specifically calls out a Securities and Exchange Commission guideline that bans companies from preventing their employees from interacting with the agency about potential violations.<br></p><p><br></p><p>...<br>The lawsuit says that Google’s Code of Conduct classifies confidential information as “everything at Google.” It also says the company operates a program called “Stop Leaks” that encourages employees to report suspicious behavior, which includes other employees asking detailed questions about projects or other work details. The suit alleges that Google “suppresses information” about potentially illegally products or regulatory-skirting practices by advising employees not to include emails signaling how the company may have broken the law or violated contract terms.</p><p><br></p><p>...<br>In a statement obtained by The Verge, a Google spokesperson says the lawsuit is without merit.

</p>"

code.JPG

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Here it is:

"<p>

</p>"

There should be no additional spacing when that post is submitted. Did you submit that exact post and get extra spacing?

HTTP/2 203

3 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

There should be no additional spacing when that post is submitted. Did you submit that exact post and get extra spacing?

Yes, as soon as I hit the preview key, the additional spaces appear.

"</p><p><br></p><p>"

Does putting <br>  in the middle of <p></p> create an additional space above and below the line that <br> makes?

42 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Yes, as soon as I hit the preview key, the additional spaces appear.

"</p><p><br></p><p>"

Does putting <br>  in the middle of <p></p> create an additional space above and below the line that <br> makes?

Those appear in the editor (aka in the output of that console command), but only when you try to preview the post? That's not supposed to happen...

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Those appear in the editor (aka in the output of that console command), but only when you try to preview the post? That's not supposed to happen...

Actually, it appears in the editor output before I press the preview button.

I haven't used HTML for so long I forgot what <br> is, and I was thinking of it as a blank line, which it isn't.