Quoting functionality still doesn't work consistently or conveniently

Delicieuxz

Pressing Enter twice at the end of a quote, within the quote box, creates a new quote box, rather than creating two blank lines at the end of the quote box, so that other text can be entered in. To add two line-breaks at the end of a quote box, some gymnastics need to be performed, like typing some filler text, then pressing Enter twice above it, then replacing the text. Or, typing / pasting text, then going back and adding two line-breaks retroactively.

Also, when quoting, the quote-box still sometimes adds line-breaks that weren't there at the time of submitting the post. This is an issue that has been carried over from the previous forum software.

And also, sometimes submitting an edited post removes line-breaks between paragraphs within the quote-box (this might be particular to pasted paragraphs, but I'm not sure), meaning a person has to re-edit the post, and manually enter in line-breaks between paragraphs, which were there before submitting the previous version of the post.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

No....

Pressing enter twice at the end of a quote box makes the cursor exit the quote box and go to the next line.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Pressing Enter twice at the end of a quote, within the quote box, creates a new quote box, rather than creating two blank lines at the end of the quote box, so that other text can be entered in. To add two line-breaks at the end of a quote box, some gymnastics need to be performed, like typing some filler text, then pressing Enter twice above it, then replacing the text. Or, typing / pasting text, then going back and adding two line-breaks retroactively.

Also, when quoting, the quote-box still sometimes adds line-breaks that weren't there at the time of submitting the post. This is an issue that has been carried over from the previous forum software.

And also, sometimes submitting an edited post removes line-breaks between paragraphs within the quote-box (this might be particular to pasted paragraphs, but I'm not sure), meaning a person has to re-edit the post, and manually enter in line-breaks between paragraphs, which were there before submitting the previous version of the post.

I cant even describe how glitchy the reply system in general is with iPad and Chrome.

My native language is C++

44 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No....

Pressing enter twice at the end of a quote box makes the cursor exit the quote box and go to the next line.

But in the middle it breaks quote in half. Which is very useful when answering to long posts with multiple questions/points.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

But in the middle it breaks quote in half. Which is very useful when answering to long posts with multiple questions/points.

Just use one enter then?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 hours ago, Enderman said:

No....

Which would be a problem on its own. But it doesn't always do that, and it didn't with the quote I made for the Edward Snowden OP in the News section. It instead created an empty quote box beneath the original quote box.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

Just use one enter then?

Or, let Enter function properly, and having creating multiple quote-boxes be a separate action, like via the

tags, or by using the Quote icon in the tool header. No need to have a clumsy and redundant Enter alternate functionality that gets in the way of normal text editing and post organization.

^ Oh look, another quote error. All I did was quote, and that error didn't display while I was making my post. It just appeared after submitting the post.

Editing posts to iron out quote errors is common practice for me at LTT.

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

What browser and OS are you using? http://www.whatsmybrowser.org/

I'm using Windows 10, and Chrome browser. Both are fully-updated.

whatsmybrowser.org/b/RC70IXG

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

Pressing Enter twice at the end of a quote, within the quote box, creates a new quote box,

I can't reproduce this. Pressing enter twice at the end of the quote always exits the quote. It only splits the quote in half if the caret is at the very end of a line other than the last line (at the end of the last line, it exits the quote instead).

rather than creating two blank lines at the end of the quote box, so that other text can be entered in. To add two line-breaks at the end of a quote box, some gymnastics need to be performed, like typing some filler text, then pressing Enter twice above it, then replacing the text. Or, typing / pasting text, then going back and adding two line-breaks retroactively.

That is working as intended. While you, and some other people, may think it is counter intuitive, there are other people, myself included, who expect double pressing enter to leave the quote. That is what I intuitively expect to happen when I press enter twice.

When the quote box was implemented by the forum software devs, the idea was that it contains quotes, so you would just paste content into it (or have it prefilled by clicking quote), so not much editing would need to be done in the quote. Don't get me wrong, it is very good that you are putting effort into your tech news articles to make them look good, but that is not the use case that I expect the devs had in mind when they implemented it, and it's not possible for us to modify the editor - modifications can only (reasonably) be made by the forum software devs.

I appreciate that it's annoying, but I don't think there's a better option. One way for you to add new lines more easily would be to add a single character (eg a space) and move the caret before that when pressing enter, so it's not the very last character on the line, so the quote isn't split. Alternatively, use Shift+Enter for one of the new lines to start a new line rather than a new paragraph.

34 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Or, let Enter function properly, and having creating multiple quote-boxes be a separate action, like via the

tags, or by using the Quote icon in the tool header. No need to have a clumsy and redundant Enter alternate functionality that gets in the way of normal text editing and post organization.

You can't split a quote using the quote button though, and the new quote that you create wouldn't have the time or author data in the header.

Is this when quoting using the quote button on the post, multiquote, or by selecting text and clicking "Quote this"? Can you link me to an example of a post that does this?

Can you link me to a post where you have had to do this recently?

33 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

^ Oh look, another quote error. All I did was quote, and that error didn't display while I was making my post. It just appeared after submitting the post.

That one I can see and reproduce, so I'll report that to the devs. It shouldn't happen in normal use though, because it will only happen if the quote is empty.

Actually, it only happens if you use empty quote BBCodes, which isn't something that should happen normally, and isn't something that I would expect to work properly. It didn't display when making the post because the BBCode wasn't parsed when making the post, unless I'm misunderstanding?

Edited by colonel_mortis

HTTP/2 203

Just use one enter then?

I don't have issue with that. I like how double-Enter works now. And its quite easy to learn way around it. Like pressing up/left arrow once and the enter again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

49 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Which would be a problem on its own. But it doesn't always do that, and it didn't with the quote I made for the Edward Snowden OP in the News section. It instead created an empty quote box beneath the original quote box.

Are you using some weird browser then? Because it always works on chrome for me.

47 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Uh, no. If there is no empty line after a quote box, the only way to type after the quote is to press enter twice.

Otherwise there would be no way of having text after the quote box unless you manually drag the quote box to an upper line after creating it, which would be a pain.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

I can't reproduce this. Pressing enter twice at the end of the quote always exits the quote. It only splits the quote in half if the caret is at the very end of a line other than the last line (at the end of the last line, it exits the quote instead).

It probably happened because there was already an empty line beneath the last line of text. Maybe if there is a space beneath the last line of text in the post, pressing Enter at the end of the last line of text should recognize that there's no text below to move into a new quote, and not make a new quote box, but just expand the number of empty lines in the quote box. 

Is this when quoting using the quote button on the post, multiquote, or by selecting text and clicking "Quote this"? Can you link me to an example of a post that does this?

It happened when I copied text from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3702955/Edward-Snowden-designs-iPhone-case-halt-government-snoopers.html

and used the right-click -> paste as plain text feature to paste it to the OP here. Two blank spaces appeared at the bottom of the quote box, which didn't appear while originally making the post:

Can you link me to a post where you have had to do this recently?

After I edited the OP in the above linked-to thread, to remove the two blank spaces at the bottom of the quote box, and after submitting that correctional edit, all paragraph spaces disappeared from the quote text. So I re-edited the post to re-add paragraph spaces.

This has happened to be many times before, and I'm unsure if it has something to do with pasting text from elsewhere, which makes some part of the formatting disappear upon editing the post. But as I mentioned, I used the right-click -> paste as plain text feature.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

Uh, no. If there is no empty line after a quote box, the only way to type after the quote is to press enter twice.

Otherwise there would be no way of having text after the quote box unless you manually drag the quote box to an upper line after creating it, which would be a pain.

That is something I find myself doing at times. I think the actual solution should be that in the edit box, there's always a potential line reserved at the end of the post, so a quote doesn't prevent a person from moving beneath it. Or, let the mouse cursor move to the right of a quote box, so that a person can press enter from there and make a new line below by pressing Enter.

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

That is something I find myself doing at times. I think the actual solution should be that in the edit box, there's always a potential line reserved at the end of the post, so a quote doesn't prevent a person from moving beneath it. Or, let the mouse cursor move to the right of a quote box, so that a person can press enter from there and make a new line below by pressing Enter.

So when you insert a quote it inserts an empty line after it?

That sounds good.

Spoiler

It probably happened because there was already an empty line beneath the last line of text. Maybe if there is a space beneath the last line of text in the post, pressing Enter at the end of the last line of text should recognize that there's no text below to move into a new quote, and not make a new quote box, but just expand the number of empty lines in the quote box. 

Doing that would require more code than it's worth to make work (as well as checking for text, it would also have to check for images, code blocks, etc, but not count new lines or empty paragraphs, and there are probably other things that would need to be taken into account that I haven't thought of right now. In my opinion, it seems reasonable that you have to be at the end of the quote in order to exit by pressing enter twice.

52 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It happened when I copied text from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3702955/Edward-Snowden-designs-iPhone-case-halt-government-snoopers.html

and used the right-click -> paste as plain text feature to paste it to the OP here. Two blank spaces appeared at the bottom of the quote box, which didn't appear while originally making the post:

I think that's an issue with the content you're pasting rather than with the editor itself (there quite a lot of formatting that is included when you paste using Chrome, and some of that formatting is stripped when you submit it to prevent people from affecting other parts of the page). If you pasted as plain text though, I'm not entirely sure how that would happen.

Has it ever happened before when copying from other sites?

After I edited the OP in the above linked-to thread, to remove the two blank spaces at the bottom of the quote box, and after submitting that correctional edit, all paragraph spaces disappeared from the quote text. So I re-edited the post to re-add paragraph spaces.

This has happened to be many times before, and I'm unsure if it has something to do with pasting text from elsewhere, which makes some part of the formatting disappear upon editing the post. But as I mentioned, I used the right-click -> paste as plain text feature.

There are no previous versions of that post that have the line breaks in there. They were not present in the first version of the post, and they didn't disappear after being added.

HTTP/2 203

41 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Has it ever happened before when copying from other sites?

Yes.

41 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

There are no previous versions of that post that have the line breaks in there. They were not present in the first version of the post, and they didn't disappear after being added.

I'll do a test post.

Test

Government whistleblower Edward Snowden has unveiled a new iPhone case that is designed to tell the user when any information is being transmitted from their mobile.
The phone-mounted battery case contains a measurement tool to constantly check on whether the handset's internal antennae are sending signals. 
The new iPhone case has been designed based on the assumption that 'a phone can and will be compromised'.

Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 
It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.
The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting. 
The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made. 

So, I used "paste as plain text" option. When I was in the editor, and when I submitted the post, there wasn't empty space at the top of the post, and there wasn't the multi-space in the middle of the post (just a single empty line), and there also wasn't an empty space underneath the post. But no, it looks like there also weren't paragraph breaks.

Test 2

Government whistleblower Edward Snowden has unveiled a new iPhone case that is designed to tell the user when any information is being transmitted from their mobile.
The phone-mounted battery case contains a measurement tool to constantly check on whether the handset's internal antennae are sending signals. 
The new iPhone case has been designed based on the assumption that 'a phone can and will be compromised'.

Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts. 
It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.
The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting. 
The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made.

So, the forum software is adding empty lines when submitted pasted content, even when I use the "paste as plain text" option. Maybe it's multiplying line-breaks.

Test 3

Test 4

Just now, Delicieuxz said:

So, I used "paste as plain text" option. When I was in the editor, and when I submitted the post, there wasn't empty space at the top of the post, and there wasn't the multi-space in the middle of the post (just a single empty line), and there also wasn't an empty space underneath the post. But no, it looks like there also weren't paragraph breaks.

Test 2

Interesting. While it's in the editor, can you right click on it and click inspect element, then find the parent element of the one selected that has class="cke_wysiwyg_div" in its attributes and right click it and select "copy -> outerHTML", then submit the post. If it's broken, post the contents of your clipboard in a code tag.

HTTP/2 203

Test 5

Also, you might want to make these posts in Test Posts so you don't send too many notifications.

HTTP/2 203

I made the same post multiple times, but with a different order of key-presses in the editor before pasting, or after pasting, to bring the post format into the same appearance before submitting the post. With each posting, there were arbitrary paragraph spaces added to the post, and in 4 out of 6 test posts the arbitrary spaces appeared in the same places. In the other two posts, they appeared elsewhere. In only one of the posts were there two blank lines added to the top of the post.

This is the outer-HTML for one of the posts. I didn't copy the HTML for each one before submitting them.

<div class="cke_wysiwyg_div cke_reset cke_enable_context_menu cke_editable cke_editable_themed cke_contents_ltr" hidefocus="true" contenteditable="true" tabindex="1" spellcheck="true" role="textbox" aria-label="Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" title="Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" style="max-height: 909px; background-image: none; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: repeat;"><p>[quote]Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts.&nbsp;<br>It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.<br>The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting.&nbsp;<br>The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made.&nbsp;</p><p>Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts.&nbsp;<br>It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.<br>The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting.&nbsp;<br>The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made. [/quote]<br></p></div>

43 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I made the same post multiple times, but with a different order of key-presses in the editor before pasting, or after pasting, to bring the post format into the same appearance before submitting the post. With each posting, there were arbitrary paragraph spaces added to the post, and in 4 out of 6 test posts the arbitrary spaces appeared in the same places. In the other two posts, they appeared elsewhere. In only one of the posts were there two blank lines added to the top of the post.

This is the outer-HTML for one of the posts. I didn't copy the HTML for each one before submitting them.

<div class="cke_wysiwyg_div cke_reset cke_enable_context_menu cke_editable cke_editable_themed cke_contents_ltr" hidefocus="true" contenteditable="true" tabindex="1" spellcheck="true" role="textbox" aria-label="Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" title="Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more options" style="max-height: 909px; background-image: none; background-position: 0% 0%; background-repeat: repeat;"><p>[quote]Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts.&nbsp;<br>It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.<br>The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting.&nbsp;<br>The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made.&nbsp;</p><p>Co-designed with hardware hacking expert Andrew 'Bunnie' Huang, a mock-up of the unusual case was unveiled over a video link to an event held at MIT Media Lab in Cambridge, Massachusetts.&nbsp;<br>It will include its very own CPU, separate from the phone's processor in order to avoid it being infected by any malware from the phone itself.<br>The case will also include a small screen to keep the user up to date with anything that the phone is transmitting.&nbsp;<br>The makers are also considering adding a 'kill switch' that would immediately shut down the phone if any suspicious radio transmissions are made. [/quote]<br></p></div>

Did that have extra whitespace when it was submitted? When I submit that, there is no extra whitespace.

It's likely that the editor will work properly for you if you use the button on the editor though, rather than typing the BBCode manually. While BBCode is supported, the editor is much less buggy, and you can see what you are going to get (though you can still preview your post by clicking the leftmost button on the editor toolbar).

HTTP/2 203

6 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

Did that have extra whitespace when it was submitted? When I submit that, there is no extra whitespace.

It's likely that the editor will work properly for you if you use the button on the editor though, rather than typing the BBCode manually. While BBCode is supported, the editor is much less buggy, and you can see what you are going to get (though you can still preview your post by clicking the leftmost button on the editor toolbar).

There were no extra whitespaces at the time of submitting the post, and the quoted text started to the right of the quote] bracket, and the quoted text finished to the left of the [quote bracket.