ASUS GTX 1080 Strix

I've seen plenty of Founder cards oc'ing better than the Strix while costing a lot less. The strix does have good looks and more silent cooling though, but in watercooling i do not see it being a popular choice.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Is it just me or is there some noise in the background?

CPU: Intel i7-4790K @ stock for now --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16Gb --- MOBO: Asus Maximus VII Formula --- GPU: MSI Gaming GTX 980ti --- PSU: Corsair AX860i  ---  Storage: Samsung 850 250gb(OS), 3x Western Digital Blue 3tb (one for game and programs, two for media), 3tb WD Green(somewhat backup) and a Crucial M550 120gb SSD (caching games and programs drive)  --- Case: Fractal Define R5 --- Cooler: Corsair H100i with Noctua 2000rpm, Industrial Fans --- OS: Windows 10 --- Monitor: Asus PB298q + AOC l2260SWD --- Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum --- Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Cherry MX Red) Red LED's --- Audio: Audio Engine A2's (yes the originals), Sennheiser HD 58x Jubilee Audio-Technica ATH-AD900x, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Ant Lion Mod Mic V4 --- Laptop: Dell XPS 9750 

Luke, you clearly got the STRIX OC card which is more expensive, the default STRIX has an OC mode of 1772 listed in GPU tweak and I was able to crank that way up +200

Memory also hums along nicely with a +1300 boost at 120% power target.

No Luke, the swap to dual HDMI is a horrible idea. In fact it's a reason not to buy this card. DisplayPort is superior to HDMI in any way. Why would you willingly give up DP 1.4 and go for HDMI that has like 30/60fps max at 4k? Great way not to future-proof your gaming rig with a super expensive 1080. Especially when you can so easily convert DP to HDMI with an adapter but not the other way round if you want to retain DP performance.

"I had to download the utility in the same exact way as every other piece of hardware I've ever tested that's not a gpu, fuck me, right? I mean who would fucking put it with the driver download?"

I'm mad because you bitched about that, and not the REAL problem with the card 

4 hours ago, kwinz said:

No Luke, the swap to dual HDMI is a horrible idea. In fact it's a reason not to buy this card. DisplayPort is superior to HDMI in any way. Why would you willingly give up DP 1.4 and go for HDMI that has like 30/60fps max at 4k? Great way not to future-proof your gaming rig with a super expensive 1080. Especially when you can so easily convert DP to HDMI with an adapter but not the other way round if you want to retain DP performance.

This. The fucking dual hdmi. I just bought this card as I've been waiting too long to get a 1080 non-fe and I guess it'll have to do, I caught one while it was in stock for 15 minutes. Was lucky didn't even get an auto notification from newegg. 

You can convert to high res (above 1920x1200) hdmi from DP, not the other way around. Cant do surround Gsync screens on this card, for example OR ANY THREE SCREENS THAT ARE DP ONLY. AND YOU KNOW HOW COMMON THIS IS NOW. I can't do 4 dual link DVI screens, as you can adapt DP to DL-DVI with active adapters, but none exist currently for the other way around. Why the FUCK should they just not include an adapter instead? Because HTC doesn't know how to make a device HDMI compliant? NO! There's already an HDMI port for that on the standard design. Plug your HDMI screen or TV or something in an adapter. What, is it fucking VR ready for 2 headsets? Is that a thing? Why the fuck is ASUS going backwards with their changes to the ports????

I defend LTTs lack of detail in reviews for GPUs by basically calling them overviews. Which they are. But this is a bit hard to defend spending half the video bashing something that, yes could be nice for new users but is normal and missing something so basic. Why are 2 HDMI ports a good idea,  @Slick, explain? Because, yes, it's "THAT bad" to a lot of people, becasue you cant do many things, among them a tripple screen setup with a lot of modern gaming monitors, which, if you are the type that spends 700USD on a card, you just might have. I don't on my gaming computer, it has a 144HZ gsync screen and a 1080p ultrawide. My triple screen setup is behind it, on the workstation, which is getting my 970. With 3 displayport adapters. Is there at least ANY advantage to make this a trade-off and not a downgrade? Does it make the card any more flexible?

Here's a list some of what the regular 1080 can do-

Normal 1080-

4 DL-DVI screens (above 1920x1200)

4 regular DVI screens

4 VGA screens (there ARE active hdmi to vga plugs, as that dvi port doesn't support analog)

3 Displayport screens, all supporting Gsync (VERY common)
4 HDMI screens (all high resolution with correct adapters)

1 HTC vive (without fucking with DP support)

Now out of those "as many displays as supported" scenarios I just mentioned, here's what my new ASUS 1080 can do

4 regular DVI screens (below 1080p)

4 VGA screens (there ARE active hdmi to vga plugs, as that dvi port doesn't support analog)

4 HDMI screens (all high resolution with correct adapters)

2 HTC vives (without fucking with DP support) < The "advantage". Wooptie fucking do. 

See the problem? Better hope your displays have multiple input types if you want to take advantage of all of the output of the 1080. Gaming screens are moving away from multiple ports types, even multiple ports. I'm very lucky to own a gsync screen that actually has an HDMI port as well for some reason. 

After all of my bitching, all I hope is in the future you consider things like this on the upcoming AMD cards. And then get called an NVIIDA shill for not holding NVIDIA to the same standard. (You can't win)

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

it looks like a solid card, too bad most 1080 right now are too expensive 

Honestly seems nice enough but u realy wanne take it apart and slap on a water block on it see how it does then

6 hours ago, DrTaru said:

Luke, you clearly got the STRIX OC card which is more expensive, the default STRIX has an OC mode of 1772 listed in GPU tweak and I was able to crank that way up +200

The Amazon link in the description on YouTube even shows both products, but the fact that there are 2 versions of this card is mentioned nowhere in the video review.

My System: "Ayanami" (from Neon Genesis Evangelion)

-SPECS-

CPU:
Intel Core i7-9700K
Motherboard:
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming
RAM:
32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz
GPU:
Gigabyte RTX 2080 WindForce
Case:
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX TG
Storage:
STORAGE: CUK Cyclone 500GB PCIe M.2 NVMe + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5" SSD + OCZ Agility3 120GB 2.5" SSD + WD Blue 250GB 3.5" HDD + Hitachi GST Deskstar 3TB 3.5" HDD + WD easystore 8TB USB 3.0 ext. HDD
PSU:
CORSAIR HX 1050
Cooling:
Cooler Master Masterliquid Lite 240 AIO w/ Cooler Master MasterFan MF120 Halo White Edition Duo-Ring fans + stock 140mm rear exhaust and 200mm front intake Phanteks case fans
Operating System:
Windows 10 Pro x64
Displays:
Acer Nitro XV340CK 34" 3440x1440 IPS 144Hz + AOC AGON 24" AG241QG4 2560x1440 144Hz + HP ZR2440w 24" 1920x1200 IPS + Dell 2407WFP 24" 1920x1200
Keyboard:
ASUS ROG Strix Flare
Mouse:
Corsair M65 PRO RGB
Sound:
Corsair VOID RGB ELITE Wireless 7.1 + Harman/Kardon HK195 + Sony MHC-GX450

very cool intro,

pour luke - outro

2 hours ago, DEcobra11 said:

Why not give the performance it can give out of the box?

You know, marketing is awesome!:

GAMING MODE, Wow!!!! :o

OC MODE!!!! Hold on m8 I can't grab all dem schnitzels!!11!)

/s

because normal people install drivers and software utilities for hardware they buy. From the manufacturers support page. Apparently GPUs MUST be the exception. /s:D

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

12 hours ago, DrTaru said:

wait what , i bought mine last week for 850 euro with a oc mode (in gpu tweak) of 1936 mhz , in the same store where i bought the card there was a 50 euro more expensive one. 

does it mean i got the a OC card for the price of a normal one? 

Corsair 750, I7-6700k w/ Corsair h100i v2, Asus Z-170 progaming, 16gb Corsair Vengeance 3200, Asus Strix GTX 1080 , 2x samsung ssd's 250 & 512 gb, Corsair RM850X.

Was planning to pick 1(2) of these up, but money cancelled that. Still really nice to hear that it works very well

Hm this card does look like a beast, but then I checked the amazon link. $860 USD really? This whole pascal shortage/ price is so much higher than what they told us. I know it is OC and non reference, but still.

I find it curious that you gave this ASUS product such a good review after you were so disappointed with the MSI board, even though their overclocked performance is the same and acoustics are comparable.

Are you telling us everything you should? ;)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 hour ago, Energycore said:

I find it curious that you gave this ASUS product such a good review after you were so disappointed with the MSI board, even though their overclocked performance is the same and acoustics are comparable.

Are you telling us everything you should? ;)

What MSI board are you referring to? The Strix is the first aftermarket 1080 we've evaluated.

And are you actually trying to imply that this was a paid review? Did you even watch it? Lol. Some people, man...

No. GTX 1080s are a waste of money currently. I'm patiently waiting for the RX 490.

|Hurricane – My $1400 Gaming PC|AMD FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz|Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB @ 2133MHz|120GB Kingston HyperX Fury SSD|1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD|Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 2GB OC|Thermaltake Core V51|CoolerMaster Seidon 120V Liquid Cooler|AMD Master Race|

5 hours ago, nicklmg said:

What MSI board are you referring to? The Strix is the first aftermarket 1080 we've evaluated.

And are you actually trying to imply that this was a paid review? Did you even watch it? Lol. Some people, man...

I'll admit I wasn't too serious in that comment, and I have a feeling it was an MSI GTX 1070 in that case.

Please don't hate me :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

13 hours ago, Energycore said:

I'll admit I wasn't too serious in that comment, and I have a feeling it was an MSI GTX 1070 in that case.

Please don't hate me :(

Haha no no, sorry for coming off so aggro. It's just been a real concern lately on YT with some channels, so I understand why people are questioning stuff like that (and I certainly don't blame them), it's just frustrating to get accusations about it when we do our best to declare sponsored content whenever we release it :P

54 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Haha no no, sorry for coming off so aggro. It's just been a real concern lately on YT with some channels, so I understand why people are questioning stuff like that (and I certainly don't blame them), it's just frustrating to get accusations about it when we do our best to declare sponsored content whenever we release it :P

I gotcha. I'm snarky about the fact that every 1070 and 1080 is going to have the same performance regardless of its custom PCB, so every time I look at a board partner card I can't expect better perormance out of them like it was the case last gen. Polaris 10 seems to be the same and that's frustrating to someone who enjoys overclocking more than even gaming on my cards

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Why is absolutely nobody talking about the stand-out feature of this card compared to all the others; the two 4-pin PWM fan headers?  That's the main reason why I was interested in this card and was extremely disappointed when I saw this review because I was looking forward to someone diving into how the fan controls worked via the GPU (obviously controlled by GPU temps, but adjusting fan curves, etc.).  Every single other card has most of the stuff this one does; RGB lights, easy overclocking/higher than advertised boost clocks out of the box, good/quiet cooler, but none of the other ones have such a neat thing like the ability to plug in your fans directly to the GPU to control airflow via GPU temps vs CPU/system temps.

And yes, I know that things like Speedfan exist where you can manually create fan profiles that can do similar things, but I've been against using something like this because I would rather my fans be controlled at the BIOS/firmware level instead of the software level, which I was hoping for explanation as to how these fan connections are controlled.