Suggestions for a somewhat basic shotgun mic setup?

Cacao

I´ll be producing some promotional videos with a green screen soon, I have all the equipment needed except for a good audio solution. So I´m thinking a shotgun mic is the way to go. The budget is around 200-300€ and I would prefer to order off of https://www.amazon.es/. I guess the simplest solution would be if I can plug the mic into my camera´s 3.5mm port, however using a laptop is also possible if necessary. Could someone with a bit more experience suggest a mic, stand and whatever other accessory combo I need to make everything work?

Thanks!!

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Just now, Cacao said:

I´ll be producing some promotional videos with a green screen soon, I have all the equipment needed except for a good audio solution. So I´m thinking a shotgun mic is the way to go. The budget is around 200-300€ and I would prefer to order off of https://www.amazon.es/. I guess the simplest solution would be if I can plug the mic into my camera´s 3.5mm port, however using a laptop is also possible if necessary. Could someone with a bit more experience suggest a mic, stand and whatever other accessory combo I need to make everything work?

Thanks!!

Do you want to mount the mic on the camera, use a boom pole, are you filming indoors or outdoors, etc?

You can buy on-camera small shotguns, like a Rode Video Mic that can be mounted on camera.  The problem with on-camera mics is that the camera might be aiming in the direction that has unwanted noise source.  This is where off-camera mics are better for the job.  A mic mounted on a boom pole can be pointing at the wanted audio source from another direction that doesn't cover the unwanted source. If you want to use a boom pole, you can get something like an NTG2 or NTG4+ or a MKE 600. 

If you are indoors, another option would be to use a small condenser mic like a NT5 instead of a shotgun.  Of course this requires a recording device that can provide phantom power.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

Do you want to mount the mic on the camera, use a boom pole, are you filming indoors or outdoors, etc?

You can buy on-camera small shotguns, like a Rode Video Mic that can be mounted on camera.  The problem with on-camera mics is that the camera might be aiming in the direction that has unwanted noise source.  This is where off-camera mics are better for the job.  A mic mounted on a boom pole can be pointing at the wanted audio source from another direction that doesn't cover the unwanted source. If you want to use a boom pole, you can get something like an NTG2 or NTG4+ or a MKE 600. 

If you are indoors, another option would be to use a small condenser mic like a NT5 instead of a shotgun.  Of course this requires a recording device that can provide phantom power.

Thanks for the reply. I´m pretty sure the filming will stay indoors. I think the Rode NTG2 could be a good choice. I was looking at this stand. The mic needs 48v phantom power though, so do you have any suggestion on what would be the best option to deal with that? I suppose it would be simpler if it could just be standalone with the camera so I don´t need to haul a laptop around.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

34 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Thanks for the reply. I´m pretty sure the filming will stay indoors. I think the Rode NTG2 could be a good choice. I was looking at this stand. The mic needs 48v phantom power though, so do you have any suggestion on what would be the best option to deal with that? I suppose it would be simpler if it could just be standalone with the camera so I don´t need to haul a laptop around.

The NTG2 is a dual powered shotgun mic, it can be powered by a device that provides phantom power or by a standard AA battery. So you can use an AA battery and XLR to TRS cable to plug into the camera. though I personally prefer using an external recorder (e.g. Zoom H6) rather than plugging mics directly into a DSLR. Mic stands don't have to be expensive, as long as the length and height is what you require.  Most mics come with a mic holder you can screw onto the stand.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer