Witcher 3 studio:"piracy was irrelevant"

I was pretty astonished When I got my hard copy day 1 and realized that I could distribute it as many times as I wanted. Didn't though, that's my sacred possession. Loving Blood and Wine right now!

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Not to mention: how many people choose to pirate to avoid egregious DRM? Reminds me of the time I had to pirate a blu-ray I owned because the laptop I was playing it on didn't have HDMI, so HDCP was preventing me from using the thing I spent good money on.

I've been saying that piracy doesn't hurt sales for years

no one ever, to this date, has compiled actual verifiable data to prove the contrary

someone even went to the extent of setting couple or Raspberry Pi to copy a song then delete it, couple of million times, over and over - to prove the music industry is full of shit

piracy ftw

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

10 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Not to mention: how many people choose to pirate to avoid egregious DRM? Reminds me of the time I had to pirate a blu-ray I owned because the laptop I was playing it on didn't have HDMI, so HDCP was preventing me from using the thing I spent good money on.

I pay for Crunchyroll but yet don't use their service, but I download hurriblesub's rips (which are from Crunchyroll) and store it on my plex server.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Keep in mind CD projekt red also is one of the few groups that actively dmca's cracking/piracy groups, and has actually managed to keep availability low of the torrent, because most of these guys hilariously enough do actually comply with the dmca.

It sounds super backwards, but last time I was researching cracks, it came to my attention that for such a damn popular game, it had almost no safe torrents on any of the major groups' sites, which struck me as really weird, so i looked into it a little further. Turns out they just keep dmca'ing the torrents as they pop up.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It always makes me laugh when a company says it lost X amount of money based on X amount of people pirating pirating their product, like there would be just as many people that would have considered it worth the full asking price rather than free. They probably lose some money to piracy, but anti piracy practices probably also makes them lose some potential costumers.

And this is one of the reasons why I bought this game., because CD projekt red is an awesome company. 

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

finally a company that uses its head and listens to what people have been saying for a long time

Specs: CPU: I5 6600K (4.5 GHZ), GPU: RX 480 (stock), Mobo: MSI Z170A tomahawk AC, RAM: Corsair 16GB drr4 2600, CASE: NZXT S340, storage 240GB crusial SSD and a 1TB WD HHD

More and more reason to love CD Project Red!

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

they only have this mentality because everyone I know from Poland never ever bought a single game or movie when it wasn't necassary (only for online shit like battle.net in diablo etc.) ...I think this is just a healthy attitude towards the gaming community which is why I support them a lot, witcher collectors and regular version cost me like 180EUR and i regret nothing. Although back then my cousin gave me the witcher 1 for "free" :D

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Also played Witcher 1 for free when it came out, but later bought the Enhanced Edition and the Collectors Edition of The Witcher 2. And hey, Witcher 3 comes with an offer that beats all other resellers on launch when you own the previous ones? That's a company service beating piracy, instead of the other way around.

We do what we can, because we must.

Here's the video interview btw :

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

No shit. The aggressive efforts of the media industry against piracy stinks of greed and desperation to avoid even a perceived loss in profits. It has nothing to do with seeing that the content creators or rank and file professionals get their fair compensation.

2 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

cdpr-default.jpg

While people are being sent to jail for imaginary crimes by the big studios, the developers over at CD Projekt Red, makers of the Witcher series, tell us a different story than what our corporates masters wants us to believe:

WUT???

So you're telling me that as a developers or publisher, if i am fair to the consumer and give them a good product, people will lean more toward buying mt stuff instead of pirating it? That i don't even need DRM stuff taking a toll on performance to see a positive income? That a pirated copy doesn't mean a lost sale?

NO WAY! The fat cats know what's the true right way of doing things, this guys are just being hippies /s

source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/07/19/witcher-3-studio-talks-piracy-says-it-was-an-irrelevant-factor/

One of the only games I haven't pirated we're games that I knew that I would be playing for thousands of hours, even a few  years..

GTA V, Minecraft, CS:GO, Gmod.

And it was decently priced here in Canada.

(also online multiplayer but you get the idea)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Atmos said:

Keep in mind CD projekt red also is one of the few groups that actively dmca's cracking/piracy groups, and has actually managed to keep availability low of the torrent, because most of these guys hilariously enough do actually comply with the dmca.

It sounds super backwards, but last time I was researching cracks, it came to my attention that for such a damn popular game, it had almost no safe torrents on any of the major groups' sites, which struck me as really weird, so i looked into it a little further. Turns out they just keep dmca'ing the torrents as they pop up.

good strategy

aggressively go after the torrents rather than relying on drm.

Gotta love CD Projekt RED, they even have a popup at the first start of the game that thank you for buying the game. :) 

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Meanwhile, at Square Enix (Or almost any other major game company; take your pick):

"BLASPHEMY! Strike them down with the force of 1000 copies of Denuvo! The status quo MUST be upheld."

Or something like that. I don't know.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Yea plus pirating certain content lets people get known. I got to find tons of artist, by file sharing websites, artists that I wouldn't have found if I was just looking at random stuff on the web.

Plus most of the time, I tend to purchase movies, when I watch them on kodi, becasue I don't want to use internet all the time.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

If only the movie studios would catch on to this and actually allow me to back up the media I bought to my HTPC instead of having to go pull out the disc every time I want to watch something. (I know you can get around that, but that is what the movie studios are trying to accomplish, and are successfully doing it with UHD Blu-Rays ATM).

Making your product so extremely inconvenient that it's infinitely better just to pirate it is not the way to reduce piracy. How about don't screw over the people who are actually buying the content and see what happens?

10 minutes ago, Shakaza said:

Meanwhile, at Square Enix (Or almost any other major game company; take your pick):

"BLASPHEMY! Strike them down with the force of 1000 copies of Denuvo! The status quo MUST be upheld."

Or something like that. I don't know.

Part of it is the desire to control access to content and the other is that they have to answer to shareholders. Shareholders that don't bother to actually understand the markets they're investing in, they just care about how much money a company is making them and making sure the company keeps making more and more and more.

CD Projekt Red are my favourite developers. I love GOG too. Preordered No Man's Sky there. DRM free is the way forward!

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)