GTX 1060 cheaper than RX 480?!? Whuuut

The 1060's just arrived in our country yesterday, and are selling for around $275USD (cheapest model). But surprisingly, the cheapest 8GB RX 480 cost around 20 bucks more. Am I missing something here or has pricing just gone haywire?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

Reality doesn't match the hype, that's all.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, Repost said:

The RX480 is an overhyped card with extremely high, unwarranted demand. High demand always results in higher prices. 

I guess so. This basically makes my choice for a new GPU a little easier

Just now, App4that said:

Reality doesn't match the hype, that's all.

True enough, I suppose.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X @4.3Ghz All-Core with Stock Cooler

Motherboard: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

RAM: Patriot Viper 32GB DDR4 RAM @3000Mhz

GPU: MSI Ventus RTX 2080 Super 8GB

PSU: Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Storage 1: Phison 500 GB NVME SSD

Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB NVME SSD

Case: Inwin 146 ATX Case

Peripherals

Mouse: Logitech G Pro X Superlight

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition

Headset: Drop x Sennheiser PC38x

Monitor 1: LG 27GL850-B 1440p @144hz Nano-IPS Monitor

Monitor 2: Asus VG248Q 1080p @144hz Gaming Monitor

Monitor 3: Asus VG259Q 1080p @144hz IPS Gaming Monitor

Here GTX 1060 cost 450€

RX 480 cost 300€

So yeah ... prices are all over the place.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I got my RX 480 8GB for $240USD on amazon its getting sold out so much you just have to catch it at the right time.

Depends where you live :P. Fully custom AIB RX480 (or the single NITRO+ that's available) is cheaper than the fully custom AIB 1060s here in the UK so...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

7 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Here GTX 1060 cost 450€

RX 480 cost 300€

So yeah ... prices are all over the place.

just buy from another EU country then ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Depends where you live :P. Fully custom AIB RX480 (or the single NITRO+ that's available) is cheaper than the fully custom AIB 1060s here in the UK so...

According to skinflint.co.uk the cheapest gtx 1060 is 220£ while the cheapest custom rx480 with 8gb is 240£ ....

Just now, MrSuperb said:

just buy from another EU country then ...

That's the plan.

Just wanted to share my frustration with him :)

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, MrSuperb said:

According to skinflint.co.uk the cheapest gtx 1060 is 220£ while the cheapest custom rx480 with 8gb is 240£ ....

Ah yes, someone doesn't see how I highlighted 2 specific words..."FULLY CUSTOM" means custom PCB, cooler and whatever :D 

@MrSuperb

one more thing:

We we never said anything about the 4GB RX480 so...

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html

£200 fully custom RX480 so...

Just to say, unless you're gaming at 1440p or higher, 4GB is enough at the moment so yes, more Vram is nice but these are mid range cards where they will be on a budget where 1080p is viable and 1440p may be a tad expensive for them to buy :P 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

@MrSuperb

one more thing:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-4096mb-gddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-37d-sp.html

Just to say, unless you're gaming at 1440p or higher, 4GB is enough at the moment so yes, more Vram is nice but these are mid range cards where they will be on a budget where 1080p is viable and 1440p may be a tad expensive for them to buy :P 

The 3g 1060 might come soon, that would really stir the pot xD 

Just now, App4that said:

The 3g 1060 might come soon, that would really stir the pot xD 

If custom cards can get the clocks speeds correct (as in if all were able to let's say overclock past 1350Mhz) and AMD some how manages to finally find out how to optimise DX11 correctly for their cards then it will be guld :P 

If custom cards can get the clocks speeds correct (as in if all were able to let's say overclock past 1350Mhz) and AMD some how manages to finally find out how to optimise DX11 correctly for their cards then it will be guld :P 

Both card will have a market, I'm just glad to see both are good cards. 

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

Both card will have a market, I'm just glad to see both are good cards. 

£40 is quite a bit for double the Vram where that could have allowed someone to maybe get an SSD or even a i5 over an i3...(the price difference is £50 in the UK between the i3 6100 and i5 6400) where the upgrade from a i3 to the i5 is more a more significant vs 4GB/2GB more Vram. 

At the current prices of custom 1060 (not just a cooler upgrade, custom power delivery, PCB ect.) and custom RX480 (8GB) cards, they seem to be £50ish more (gigabyte G1, MSI twinfrozer, ASUS strix 1060 vs sapphire RX480) so...that's my point again :P 

Yep, they are both good cards for the money but these threads are so annoying...

£40 is quite a bit for double the Vram where that could have allowed someone to maybe get an SSD or even a i5 over an i3...(the price difference is £50 in the UK between the i3 6100 and i5 6400) where the upgrade from a i3 to the i5 is more a more significant vs 4GB/2GB more Vram. 

At the current prices of custom 1060 (not just a cooler upgrade, custom power delivery, PCB ect.) and custom RX480 (8GB) cards, they seem to be £50ish more (gigabyte G1, MSI twinfrozer, ASUS strix 1060 vs sapphire RX480) so...that's my point again :P 

Yep, they are both good cards for the money but these threads are so annoying...

Both fan bases look for how their choice is better, rather than just looking for what they want themselves. These topics are a reflection of that. And you see it from Xbox vs PlayStation, to Chevy vs Ford. It's never enough to enjoy your choice in product, you have to make sure your choice is validated through making the opposite choice a bad one. 

Nothing will change. Not worth worrying about. But it does make for some fun conversations xD 

Just now, App4that said:

Both fan bases look for how their choice is better, rather than just looking for what they want themselves. These topics are a reflection of that. And you see it from Xbox vs PlayStation, to Chevy vs Ford. It's never enough to enjoy your choice in product, you have to make sure your choice is validated through making the opposite choice a bad one. 

Nothing will change. Not worth worrying about. But it does make for some fun conversations xD 

Yeah yea, I just don't like these threads as the OP always just goes how the 1060 is better...you can't even buy a FE 1060 from retailers...

3 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yeah yea, I just don't like these threads as the OP always just goes how the 1060 is better...you can't even buy a FE 1060 from retailers...

"Better" doesn't exist and usually relies on a magic bullet. AMD uses future games, have for years even though Nvidia keeps winning up top. Nvidia uses features even though most of them are useless. I uninstalled GFE ages ago. All silly business.

Just now, App4that said:

"Better" doesn't exist and usually relies on a magic bullet. AMD uses future games, have for years even though Nvidia keeps winning up top. Nvidia uses features even though most of them are useless. I uninstalled GFE ages ago. All silly business.

*cough cough* 290X and 780ti is the best example...give AMD cards a year or two and bye bye Nvidia's equivalent :D 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

*cough cough* 290X and 780ti is the best example...give AMD cards a year or two and bye bye Nvidia's equivalent :D 

But is that better? No, because some customers don't want to have the same card for a year or two before its matured. For those that want an investment they are rewarded. People get so caught up in beating the equivalent they forget what they themselves want. I want to drive my monitor. Really don't care if I have to buy a graphics card from Trump to do it xD I want the fps I'm looking for at the settings I like at the temperatures that make me feel comfortable. Brand can mean Nvidia, or it could mean MSI. You take your budget and find the card that fits your needs. If customer B gets something they want too by buying the opposite opinion to yours that's a good thing. 

Just now, App4that said:

But is that better? No, because some customers don't want to have the same card for a year or two before its matured. For those that want and investment they are rewarded. People get so caught up I. Beating the equivalent they forget what they themselves want. I want to drive my monitor. Really don't care if I have to buy a graphics card from Trump to do it xD I want the fps I'm looking for at the settings I like at the temperatures that make me feel comfortable. Brand can mean Nvidia, or it could mean MSI. You take your budget and find the card that fits your needs. If customer B gets something they want too by buying the opposite opinion to yours that's a good thing. 

Just go with what you like...it doesn't matter which one rains superiority and what not :P 

I only brought up the 290X vs 780ti as the 780ti was untouched by any cards apart from the 290X in 4K back in 2013/2014 but in 2015, the 290X caught upto the 780ti and started to beat it in not just 4k but 1440p and 1080p. As I have a 290X (or had 2), it makes me happy that I won't need an upgrade for maybe another year or even more and how it now beats a card that was better than it 2 years ago. 

8 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Ah yes, someone doesn't see how I highlighted 2 specific words..."FULLY CUSTOM" means custom PCB, cooler and whatever :D 

now it is getting ridicoulos ... only because you need a fully custom RX480 to not fry your motherboard ...

also there are FULLY CUSTOM 1060s cheaper than the FULLY CUSTOM RX480

7 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

@MrSuperb

one more thing:

well then wait for 3GB 1060s ....

PREORDER