Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SEEK

Power supply surges while gaming

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a CXM750 PSU in my rig for the past 2 years with no problems. Yesterday I installed the MSI GTX 970 GPU (stock settings). It tends to run most games very well. However in The Witcher 3 I experience crashes.

Event viewer stated that the source of the critical error was Kernal-power. I could not find more meaningful information, so I disabled automatic restart on system failure. 

 

The game ran flawlessly for approx 1 hour, and then it crashes again. This time I received an error message. "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power".

 

What should I do to run The Witcher 3 without getting crashes?

auto restart disabled for witcher 3.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, CX/CXM PSU's are known not to be the best whenever they are in high output/usage. Try downing the details to try and bring power down.


LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

 

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

Link to post
Share on other sites

First off, Asus anti-surge gets triggered like a Tumblr regular. I don't know why it's so finicky. 

 

Second, I think you still have a warranty on the CX. See if Corsair will send you a new unit.

 

Third, maybe get a new PSU if you don't want to deal with that hassle. An EVGA GQ or B2 should be fine, they're both fairly cheap too.


|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SEEK said:

I have a CXM750 PSU in my rig for the past 2 years with no problems. Yesterday I installed the MSI GTX 970 GPU (stock settings). It tends to run most games very well. However in The Witcher 3 I experience crashes.

Event viewer stated that the source of the critical error was Kernal-power. I could not find more meaningful information, so I disabled automatic restart on system failure. 

 

The game ran flawlessly for approx 1 hour, and then it crashes again. This time I received an error message. "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power".

 

What should I do to run The Witcher 3 without getting crashes?

auto restart disabled for witcher 3.JPG

Which CXM is it? Green one or grey? Grey one is the better one.


CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

 

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

 

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Dell PowerEdge R210 II MDT/PDQ | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Which CXM is it? Green one or grey? Grey one is the better one.

Definitely a green considering it's from 2 years ago xD


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER PSU Tier List Now.

 

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

 Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Died in a horrible mining accident. Currently looking for used Vega 56s!

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+ + 240GB SSD Plus

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: @Den-Fi が2年前にくれたヘッドフォン

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel i3-2100 (carry over from my old build)
Framepainting-inator: GTX 650 Ti

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz C9

Computerarmor: Ashamed to say

Rememberdoogle: 120GB SP550 + 500GB 2.5" from a laptop

AdditionalPylons: Antec Basiq BP350 (not as loud as @STRMfrmXMN says it is) (actually pretty loud for my standards)

Letterpad: Logitech MK120 bundle

Buttonrodent: See above

Auralnterface: Hah! You wish

Liquidrectangles: Samsung 1600x900 + LG 1440x900

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Which CXM is it? Green one or grey? Grey one is the better one.

It's Green.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SEEK said:

It's Green.

If you're lucky, you can get an RMA from Corsair and get shipped a Grey unit, they're overall better


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER PSU Tier List Now.

 

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

 Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)
Framepainting-inator: MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Died in a horrible mining accident. Currently looking for used Vega 56s!

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CAS 9

Computerarmor: CM Elite 360 (Moddded to all hell by now)

Rememberdoogle: 120GB Trion 150 + 1TB WD RE+ + 240GB SSD Plus

AdditionalPylons: Corsair CX450M

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: EVGA Torq X3

Auralnterface: @Den-Fi が2年前にくれたヘッドフォン

Liquidrectangles: AOC G2260VWQ6 (Freesync 75Hz), Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

Brother's Computer:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel i3-2100 (carry over from my old build)
Framepainting-inator: GTX 650 Ti

Attachcorethingy: Intel Z68 (don't know anything else, got it from ebay for like $40)

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x2GB 1333MHz C9

Computerarmor: Ashamed to say

Rememberdoogle: 120GB SP550 + 500GB 2.5" from a laptop

AdditionalPylons: Antec Basiq BP350 (not as loud as @STRMfrmXMN says it is) (actually pretty loud for my standards)

Letterpad: Logitech MK120 bundle

Buttonrodent: See above

Auralnterface: Hah! You wish

Liquidrectangles: Samsung 1600x900 + LG 1440x900

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

I believe I found the solution to this problem. My PC was plugged into a plug socket board which connected to another surge protected socket board. I had a total of 10 plugs in.

I removed the standard plug socket board. Now I have just 1 surge protected socket board which has a total of 4 plugs (PC, Monitor, Speakers, Router). Prior to doing this, I encountered crashes when running the Heaven benchmark software with tessellation on extreme. I ran the benchmark twice after changing out the socket board, and it ran without any crashes.

benchmark.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
20 hours ago, SEEK said:

I believe I found the solution to this problem. My PC was plugged into a plug socket board which connected to another surge protected socket board. I had a total of 10 plugs in.

I removed the standard plug socket board. Now I have just 1 surge protected socket board which has a total of 4 plugs (PC, Monitor, Speakers, Router). Prior to doing this, I encountered crashes when running the Heaven benchmark software with tessellation on extreme. I ran the benchmark twice after changing out the socket board, and it ran without any crashes.

benchmark.JPG

Sadly this is not the issue. The problem is still occurring. Think I'm going to upgrade to the EVGA SuperNova P2 850W

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×