Power supply surges while gaming

I have a CXM750 PSU in my rig for the past 2 years with no problems. Yesterday I installed the MSI GTX 970 GPU (stock settings). It tends to run most games very well. However in The Witcher 3 I experience crashes.

Event viewer stated that the source of the critical error was Kernal-power. I could not find more meaningful information, so I disabled automatic restart on system failure. 

The game ran flawlessly for approx 1 hour, and then it crashes again. This time I received an error message. "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power".

What should I do to run The Witcher 3 without getting crashes?

auto restart disabled for witcher 3.JPG

Well, CX/CXM PSU's are known not to be the best whenever they are in high output/usage. Try downing the details to try and bring power down.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

First off, Asus anti-surge gets triggered like a Tumblr regular. I don't know why it's so finicky. 

Second, I think you still have a warranty on the CX. See if Corsair will send you a new unit.

Third, maybe get a new PSU if you don't want to deal with that hassle. An EVGA GQ or B2 should be fine, they're both fairly cheap too.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

9 minutes ago, SEEK said:

I have a CXM750 PSU in my rig for the past 2 years with no problems. Yesterday I installed the MSI GTX 970 GPU (stock settings). It tends to run most games very well. However in The Witcher 3 I experience crashes.

Event viewer stated that the source of the critical error was Kernal-power. I could not find more meaningful information, so I disabled automatic restart on system failure. 

The game ran flawlessly for approx 1 hour, and then it crashes again. This time I received an error message. "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. ASUS Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power".

What should I do to run The Witcher 3 without getting crashes?

auto restart disabled for witcher 3.JPG

Which CXM is it? Green one or grey? Grey one is the better one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Definitely a green considering it's from 2 years ago xD

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

It's Green.

Just now, SEEK said:

It's Green.

If you're lucky, you can get an RMA from Corsair and get shipped a Grey unit, they're overall better

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I believe I found the solution to this problem. My PC was plugged into a plug socket board which connected to another surge protected socket board. I had a total of 10 plugs in.

I removed the standard plug socket board. Now I have just 1 surge protected socket board which has a total of 4 plugs (PC, Monitor, Speakers, Router). Prior to doing this, I encountered crashes when running the Heaven benchmark software with tessellation on extreme. I ran the benchmark twice after changing out the socket board, and it ran without any crashes.

benchmark.JPG

20 hours ago, SEEK said:

I believe I found the solution to this problem. My PC was plugged into a plug socket board which connected to another surge protected socket board. I had a total of 10 plugs in.

I removed the standard plug socket board. Now I have just 1 surge protected socket board which has a total of 4 plugs (PC, Monitor, Speakers, Router). Prior to doing this, I encountered crashes when running the Heaven benchmark software with tessellation on extreme. I ran the benchmark twice after changing out the socket board, and it ran without any crashes.

benchmark.JPG

Sadly this is not the issue. The problem is still occurring. Think I'm going to upgrade to the EVGA SuperNova P2 850W