What is the purpose of Pokemon Go?

My IPT (Information Processes and Technology) teacher gave us a task to do on Pokemon Go; we have to complete an information systems in context diagram. So my question is, WHAT exactly is the purpose of the game? To have fun?

Syllabus diagram1 copy.jpg

extremely advanced advertising for local stores and shit like that.

''Daddy CumTits 2.0'' (pc):

CPU - Intel i7 8700k

GPU - Asus Strix 1080 8gb

RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengance 

MOBO - Asus Prime Z370-p

PSU - Corsair RM750x

There is no goal except making you buy in the overpriced microtransactions system. There is no gameplay depth whatsoever compared to actual Pokemon games and unfortunately, they took the route of others mobile games instead of "real" Pokemon games, which is kinda logic since they want to make an appealing game for the majority.

But the game is still fun while playing it with some friends, that's what I find frustrating. It's nowhere near as complex as the original games, it has the potential to be a Pokemon game with AR but it's just a mobile game with Pokemon skin on top of it.

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

To waste time and buy stuff.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Purpose: people will run over highway and die.

Maybe they are trying to reduce human population?

Someone said that Earth should have only up to 4b people, not 7,5b.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Nah, wouldnt help, Africa and Asia will still supply enough humans to reach 9b+ anyways

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Just now, Simon771 said:

It's actually their own fault if they run away through highways to catch virtual creatures. Pokemon GO has been a great exhibit for human stupidity so far 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

1 minute ago, RuLeZ said:

Nah, wouldnt help, Africa and Asia will still supply enough humans to reach 9b+ anyways

Maybe the way you said that can be taken as insensitive, IMO.

Just now, Simon771 said:

ikr haha

people have such short attention spans

I've heard people offering themselves on craigslist as "trainers" smh

578552081b00002600f6d88a.png

Just now, roylapoutre said:

It's actually their own fault if they run away through highways to catch virtual creatures. Pokemon GO has been a great exhibit for human stupidity so far 

Well other family members don't think so.

I started laughing when they told on news that car drove over some girl because she was catching pokemon.

I might be mean, but you can drop 500€ on the highway and I won't go run after it. I'm just not that dumb.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, Simon771 said:

Well other family members don't think so.

I started laughing when they told on news that car drove over some girl because she was catching pokemon.

I might be mean, but you can drop 500€ on the highway and I won't go run after it. I'm just not that dumb.

I know! But I really can't understand how anyone can blame a MOBILE GAME for their own lack of attention. The game didn't tell them to go get hit by a car, and even if it did, people can still, you know, don't do it ? 

3 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Population level is frightening isn't it.

3 million years to reach 1 billion, 200 years more  to reach 7 billion.

and with better health care 9 billion by 2050.  How are we going to feed everyone?

I would hazard that even 4billion is FAR too many, 1 or a half Mmmm, but 4?. 

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

3 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

ikr haha

people have such short attention spans

I've heard people offering themselves on craigslist as "trainers" smh

578552081b00002600f6d88a.png

I think she forgot to put on bra lol

Are peoples realy doing that? Murica wtf?

Just now, roylapoutre said:

I know! But I really can't understand how anyone can blame a MOBILE GAME for their own lack of attention. The game didn't tell them to go get hit by a car, and even if it did, people can still, you know, don't do it ? 

Exactly. If they are so dumb to run on the road to cahtch some virtual thing with no value, let them do so, but I won't feel bad for them if they get driven over.

WD My Cloud 4TB

Just now, soup said:

and with better health care 9 billion by 2050.  How are we going to feed everyone?

Its even crazy to think in the last 60 years, when my father was born in 1948, the world population was 2,5b, today is almost 7,5b, thats like 3x the size in 68 years, less than a life time. 

Spoiler

58 minutes ago, soup said:

I remember having a rant about this elsewhere, and some pro lifer numpty comes along with 'there are (however many) flies in the world, so it can also support that many people'.

Arguing with this brainless creature was futile, as it knew nothing about ecosystems or the simple fact of more mass = more resources. 

However we do have a lot of breakthroughs in feeding such a large population, such as insect protein and lab grown meat. However the main problem to overpopulation is less to do with our advances in nutrition and healthcare, and much more to do with our over glorified sense of self, and the belief that humans are here to inherit the earth. Natural selection would normally kill people who don't have enough food or access to medicine, but now we have charities and 'humane' things going around feeding and treating poverty struck people.

Its actually astounding if you think of it - trying to save all humans and keep them alive is terribly bad for the global ecosystem, but we do it anyway because humanity thinks its moral and justified, and that we have to save all the people.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, soup said:

I'd advise you to look at the food waste in the US for instance. (Hint: about a third of the produced food isn't eaten or used, that gives some margin).

Issue is that stupid people are like bunnies, they don't have much to do all day so they reproduce with one another all the time and therefore populate earth. That's another frightening way to think about it!

for the developers the purpose is -like with any other game- to turn a profit.

for the people who play the game legitimately play the game, the purpose is fun and excitement.

then, like with any MMO (which i'd say this falls under) there's people like these guys that are in it to win it (with "it" being the game, and "it" being money)

these people, much alike before mentioned young lady lacking apparel for propper coverage, find a way to turn people's interest in being the best at a game into monetary benefit, usually much against the preference of developers.

--

the interesting bit about pokemon go is that it's the first BIG "MMO" that doesnt find place on a computer screen, but rather in the real world, causing buisinesses to discover new ways to -quite literally- lure custommers, less legal "buisinesses" finding interesting ways to getting victims to dark alleyways, and a whole spiral of issues beyond that.

To generate public interest and increased user base for the benefit of the overall brand value.

Also to identify themselves as the first of the 3 console makers to enter the AR space.

Oh, and there was this one post somewhere which commented that Nintendo has been trying to get kids to go outside since the GBA Pokemon games.

Maybe I can use pokemon go to lure Linus into a dark alleyway. 

Linus is my fetish.

What is the purpose, you say?

Natural selection.

</thread>

To be brutally honest... it was meant to get people walking and talking.  That's it.  I've met several people while playing Pokemon Go, and it got my lazy fat ass off the desk chair and out walking.  I know several people who, regardless of being fat or not, were lazy as all hell, and now will go and walk because of this game.
But the game was meant for the adults who grew up with Pokemon.  C'mon, to all the people who grew up playing the games, who didn't want to go out with their phones or something and catch "real" Pokemon?  I know they aren't actually real, but it is (very basic) augmented reality.  

Also, no, it's not meant to buy shit.  You never once have to pay for any of the micro transactions in the games.  Ever.  Just get off your ass and walk to a Pokestop.  Businesses have found a way to capitalize on it, which in that case, good for them.  Doesn't mean you have to go to those businesses, you can still do all of Pokemon Go for free. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

9 hours ago, Yogesh Abnave said:

Am i the only one who doesn't get the Pokemon Go hype?

I'm kinda feel somewhat offended to be lumped together with the hype.

16 hours ago, roylapoutre said:

There is no goal except making you buy in the overpriced microtransactions system. There is no gameplay depth whatsoever compared to actual Pokemon games and unfortunately, they took the route of others mobile games instead of "real" Pokemon games, which is kinda logic since they want to make an appealing game for the majority.

But the game is still fun while playing it with some friends, that's what I find frustrating. It's nowhere near as complex as the original games, it has the potential to be a Pokemon game with AR but it's just a mobile game with Pokemon skin on top of it.

About microtransactions, I don't think it's overpriced. But that's its own discussion.

The fun thing about ARGs like Ingress and PokéMon Go is how people organized themselves, sharing information and competing for control of areas (in Ingress it's portals, in PokéMon Go it's arenas). Even just conquering and defending arenas itself are a system that provides some depth and emphasizes people should organize. If you're still missing depth then try to predict what PokéMon you'll find in the next town or city at a given time.
I'm looking forward to see how the community will tackle that.

Tech unrelated stuff: Check out my web novel Amauga.

5 hours ago, 0xReki said:

The fun thing about ARGs like Ingress and PokéMon Go is how people organized themselves, sharing information and competing for control of areas (in Ingress it's portals, in PokéMon Go it's arenas). Even just conquering and defending arenas itself are a system that provides some depth and emphasizes people should organize. If you're still missing depth then try to predict what PokéMon you'll find in the next town or city at a given time.
I'm looking forward to see how the community will tackle that.

You can't be serious when you say that the randomness of Pokemon spawning can be considered as depth of gameplay... Farming is not depth. That's exactly my point, the only real "depth" comes from the organization between players for arena control. But in the game itself, in the battles, in the non-battles against wild Pokemons, in the incredible shallow leveling up system, there is nothing that reminds me of the Pokemon series. There is no lore, no context for people who don't know about the Pokemon universe. 

The randomness is fun, the fact that you can interact with other people is fun, but there's not much worth saving gameplay-wise. The only people that can find depth and meaning in this game are people that are accustomed to mobile games where, sadly, there's never been a lot of interesting games gameplay-wise and story-wise. And about the argument that it's made to get people outside and exercising, ok, it's a noble goal. But thinking that some people need to have a Pokemon game telling them to exercise is really really sad and worrying.