PSU Requirement for I5 + GTX 1070 ?

Tai Tran
Go to solution Solved by RuLeZ,

Without OC 500W, with OC 550W to be sure.

21 minutes ago, AwsOs said:

Well 500-550 is enough.

you need to check the power usage of the items.

Example:.

50w CPU power usage

250W GPU power usage

dvd a few Watts let's say 50W

ssd or HDD 50W

and Motherboard 75W

You need 475W, take 500W and the fan will be aggressive or 550W if you want your PSU be ok.

It's just an idea.. 

Jesus never do calculations with that system. Motherboards don't use any power and DVD drives use less than a watt most of them. Most GPUs don't even use more than 200W on their own. Most CPUs use more than 50W... how did you come up with those numbers...?

32 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

Hey guys, just a quick question for a small topic, what is the minimum requirement of a PSU to run an I5 + GTX 1070? what about I7 + 1070? 

And btw, can someone teach me how to check this out myself ? like what to look at on the cpu and the gpu and then how can I determine what is enough after I know those information ? 

Thanks 9_9:x

A 1070 uses very little power and so do both those CPUs. Realistically, since hardware is so power efficient these days they'll never breach 300W under overclocked load.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

Because it actually does, even a i7 5960X can bottleneck GPUs. It's not in the sense of "your CPU sucks so your GPU won't work as intended", but in the sense that GPU configurations like this are very fast and they will crunch through the graphics on games leaving only the "CPU computed" stuff yet to be done.

This happens on many games, where a GTX 980ti, a GTX 1070 and a GTX 1080 will score very similar FPS results (usually like 100 or more fps) on a game. So why isn't 120? 150? 200fps? Why do 3 different performing cards show the same -high number? It's because the CPU is still figuring the game elements out. Even the 5960X insane CPU will lag behind on these titles where the graphics are "too easy", the only thing you can do then is get a 6700k and OC the complete hell out of it. Then the frames go up.

Mind you this is only on 1080p on some games. If you go to 1440p or higher it's a different story, there is so much work for the GPU to do that it doesn't make you feel the CPU is "lagging behind".

Ok I see. I watched some videos benchmarking the 1070 on 1440p and most games stay above 60FPS, except Crysis 3 because.....well of course its Crysis lol. So it should stay around 60FPS or above it still if I go with 21:9 1440p. So consider what you said about the bottleneck, should I even worry about that? Like if I go with the Dell 21:9 1440p and the i5 + 1070 can push out 60+FPS I shouldn't worry about the bottleneck problem right? Even if I OC the monitor to around 70Hz, a decent OC on the I5-4790k should be enough to push out 70+FPS with the 1070 despite the bottleneck, correct? Unless we're talking about 144Hz 1080p but in my case it ain't a problem, is it? 

42 minutes ago, Tai Tran said:

Ok I see. I watched some videos benchmarking the 1070 on 1440p and most games stay above 60FPS, except Crysis 3 because.....well of course its Crysis lol. So it should stay around 60FPS or above it still if I go with 21:9 1440p. So consider what you said about the bottleneck, should I even worry about that? Like if I go with the Dell 21:9 1440p and the i5 + 1070 can push out 60+FPS I shouldn't worry about the bottleneck problem right? Even if I OC the monitor to around 70Hz, a decent OC on the I5-4790k should be enough to push out 70+FPS with the 1070 despite the bottleneck, correct? Unless we're talking about 144Hz 1080p but in my case it ain't a problem, is it? 

With your i5 +1070 you should be perfectly able to play at 3440x1440 at 60fps, maybe on some titles you would want to crank some of the filters down a bit to keep the constant 60fps (witcher 3, the division, arma 3, ashes of the singularity and far cry primal with the HD textures are a few examples of games where you may want to turn from MAX settings to just -High settings in order to keep those min frames closer to 60).

The bottleneck on a CPU like yours or better happens on 1080p, at your resolution you shouldn't worry.