A beginner camera

Hello everyone,

I'm planning a world journey with my friend next year. I'm allready calculating the costs etc. But I want to capture this beautiful experience. Since I'm interested in photography. (never owned a camera, but I can appreciate the work from others and I've always wanted to make nice photos, finally going for it) I want to buy a nice camera, not one of those little pocket one's, You know what I mean. I don't really have a budget but I don't want it to be 1000 euro if you know what I mean but since it is a year away I can save up the money I need. Wheter it is 200 euro or 500 euro. Just a good price/performance ratio. Hope you guys can help me out and maybe tell me some basics I have to know.

I thank all you lovely people in advance.

Tristan

Hi Tristanus,

I'm not an expert but a lot of my friends that are much better than me in photography, have Canon's Rebel cameras if this info can help you a little bit. 

Just now, Viper9 said:

Hi Tristanus,

I'm not an expert but a lot of my friends that are much better than me in photography, have Canon's Rebel cameras if this info can help you a little bit. 

I like the price! And yes it helps! Thanks a lot for the information. Going to read and watch some reviews. 

Again thanks :)

16 minutes ago, Tristanus said:

never owned a camera

A pocket camera might just suit you fine.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

20 minutes ago, Viper9 said:

I'm sure their mom or dad is a good cook because they own very nice pots and pans, without good pots or pans no one can be a good cook.  Just like without a good pen or pencil, no one can be a good writer.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Just now, ALwin said:

A pocket camera might just suit you fine.

Do you really think so?

Just now, Tristanus said:

Do you really think so?

Yes, even point and shoot cameras have come a long way.

Just now, ALwin said:

Yes, even point and shoot cameras have come a long way.

Hmmm okay, Thanks anyway

A Sony RX100 could be a good option. If you want to be able to expand with lenses later on I would check out either Sony or Fujifilms mirrorless cameras as they are smaller. And well I've traveled a bit and I would always preffer to carry small and light gear. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Just now, xQubeZx said:

A Sony RX100 could be a good option. If you want to be able to expand with lenses later on I would check out either Sony or Fujifilms mirrorless cameras as they are smaller. And well I've traveled a bit and I would always preffer to carry small and light gear. 

Thanks a lot for the recommendations!

yeah an RX100 or similar camera with 1" sensor would be good

even experienced togs carry them for convenience and their image quality and video is amazing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

6 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

yeah an RX100 or similar camera with 1" sensor would be good

even experienced togs carry them for convenience and their image quality and video is amazing

Thanks a lot!

21 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

if you watch the linustechtips channels, channelsuperfun shoot with an rx100, wich has similar specs to the

Just now, AmazingAlexE said:

sony alpha a5000

like a one inch sensor ect 

17 minutes ago, AmazingAlexE said:

if you watch the linustechtips channels, channelsuperfun shoot with an rx100, wich has similar specs to the

like a one inch sensor ect 

I really like Channel SuperFun. Thanks for the recommendation!

36 minutes ago, AmazingAlexE said:

Try a sony alpha a5000

some say it has a touch screen BUT IT DOES NOT

The 5100 has a touch screen. Both has a APS-C sized sensor though wich is the same as in many DSLR's

If you are going on a long trip, I would imagine battery life is crucial, so a dslr may be more appropriate than a compact system, depending on your choice, it might be quite a bit more rugged as well. 

I would get a 24-105 f/4.0 L along with a 50mm f/1.8. 

If you don't care about ruggedness (that much) and would prefer a newer model, perhaps the 760d would suit your needs. If you go that route, a used one will set you back 600Euros approximately (amazon.de), the remaining 400 probably won't get you an L lens, but its worth a try, If you can't get one, I use a  28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 USM and would recommend it as a good all rounder, couple that with a 50mm and you should be set. 

A used 70d would cost approx 700Eur, if you are willing to spend more than that. 

Disclaimer: I just got a sony a6000 because of the weight and usability of my 50d when travelling light, so I get where everyone recommending a mirrorless is coming from, I would just like to present the case for a DSLR for your consideration.  

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

19 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

The 5100 has a touch screen. Both has a APS-C sized sensor though wich is the same as in many DSLR's

but the 5000 does not. the main features for the touchscreen in the a5100 are for autofocus, so u can tap to focus.

also, the 5100 has 24.3 MP and way better '4d' autofoucus

3 hours ago, AmazingAlexE said:

but the 5000 does not. the main features for the touchscreen in the a5100 are for autofocus, so u can tap to focus.

also, the 5100 has 24.3 MP and way better '4d' autofoucus

Yep, the a5000 is still a decent camera though for its price. But I would try to get a A6000 if you can afford it. The Canon M3 seems good too.

Just now, xQubeZx said:

Yep, the a5000 is still a decent camera though for its price. But I would try to get a A6000 if you can afford it. The Canon M3 seems good too.

yeah the a6000 has extra features like a viewfinder(not optical) and other things 

21 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

21 hours ago, AmazingAlexE said:

yeah the a6000 has extra features like a viewfinder(not optical) and other things 

Thanks both of you!