NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reviews + Benchmarks

HKZeroFive
6 minutes ago, KillDog said:

Why can't just everyone understand that the scaling on pascal is poor, and even though you can OC like hell on pascal, you will be getting the same performance boost like AMD cards when they are OC'ed too?

Even though that, if the AIB 480's are substantially cheaper than the 1060 AIB, then AMD will win any way you look at it. If both are within 10-20$ of each other, then there will be a ruthless competition in the market. The 1060 does beat the 480 by 7-10% in almost all games though.

Why can't everyone understand that 1700mhz boost clock on 1060 is actually 1800mhz+? :P

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

3 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

ROTR's DX12 is broken tbh. 

ya seems dx11 implementation is better in that game, they need to work on their dx12 renderer. If your new gen API renderer is still a work in progress then you should have it as an optional beta (see Valve's dota2 Vulkan or Croteam's Talos Principle Vulkan). You should only do a mainline release once you know it is done and polished (like id's doom Vulkan).

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

Why can't everyone understand that 1700mhz boost clock on 1060 is actually 1800mhz+? :P

1800mhz+? That's only on AIB's, no?

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

Not mentioning anything about DX12 or Vulkan in their 1060 review really makes the LTT video seem... incomplete at best.  I think there should be a follow-up to give a little more depth.  IMO, there's more to base your buying decision on than titles exclusively using older APIs when new ones are already starting to be adopted with significant benefits being possible.  As time goes on I fully expect the RX 480 to level out in price with the GTX 1060 as more games take advantage of the full potential of modern APIs.

1 hour ago, Gullerback said:

only cards i can find in canada are Asus strix's'  .  for 429$,  I really hope thats not the price trend

Your profile pic says it all. Kappa

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

1 hour ago, Valentyn said:

snip

In my country it's the same. Asus cards are known for their higher price tag. 

Like 15%-25% more. 

And their card is not even that good when it comes to performance as well as cooler quality.

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

5 minutes ago, clegger said:

Not mentioning anything about DX12 or Vulkan in their 1060 review really makes the LTT video seem... incomplete at best.  I think there should be a follow-up to give a little more depth.  IMO, there's more to base your buying decision on than titles exclusively using older APIs when new ones are already starting to be adopted with significant benefits being possible.  As time goes on I fully expect the RX 480 to level out in price with the GTX 1060 as more games take advantage of the full potential of modern APIs.

ya it's a shame. Testing only 4 games, and choosing only dx11 mode made it a slightly one dimensional review. yes the gtx1060 is faster on average in majority of games. But GPU reviews need to represent the market in which they will be used and the reality is that the dx12/Vulkan games have already started rolling in. You can't pretend they aren't there especially since majority of upcoming AAA games are using these APIs.

2 minutes ago, KillDog said:

No that's on reference model as tested by HardwareCanucks. Too bad they're the only reviewer that tested these average clock speed after GPU Boost/Boost clock was introduced.

Expect AIB's to boost higher.

GTX-1060-REVIEW-87.jpg

NVIDIA claims the Boost Clock on the GTX 1060 should be around 1708MHz and after an initial minor step-down our sample achieved frequencies well above that mark. In most applications it leveled out at 1850MHz with some pushing the card a bit further towards its TDP limit and the resulting core speed came down to about 1800MHz. Nonetheless, regardless of the situation, the GTX 1060 was simply unflappable and exhibited perfectly consistent frequencies. 

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73040-nvidia-gtx-1060-6gb-review-4.html

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

we'd have to see worldwide pricing

but, GTX1060 made the RX480 obsolete and it didn't even passed one month

the EVGA GTX1060 SC is 260$ according to PCPer

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the price difference in my country places the 1060 is a different price bracket. It's like 960 and 950 all over again

13 minutes ago, KillDog said:

Nope: 1070 FE here and it boosts to 1848 most of the time on Witcher 3. With my custom fan curve I sit at 78c with room temps of like 26c or worst (it's the worst part of the summer right now)

The "boost" clock is actually just guaranteed but unless you get quite a fucking lemon it always boost way past 1800 all on it's own.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

In my country it's the same. Asus cards are known for their higher price tag. 

Like 15%-25% more. 

And their card is not even that good when it comes to performance as well as cooler quality.

Yeah...

Asus prices are fucked up in Sweden too.

MSI 1060 - 2900 SEK

Asus 1060 - 3300 SEK

RX 480 - 2800 SEK

So in Sweden the 1060 costs 3.5% more, performs 10% better, overclocks better, runs cooler, runs quieter, and has better software support. The RX 480 is dead to me, unless the custom cooler versions somehow flips the tables completely, and costs less. The chances of that happening are close to 0 though.

The key word there is "in Sweden" though. It seems like it varies a lot from country to country, so it's foolish to make any broad statements like "the 480 is better in price:performance", or "the 1060 is more expensive".

Just now, gilang01 said:

the price difference in my country places the 1060 is a different price bracket. It's like 960 and 950 all over again

AMD has traditionally fucked up pricing in EU, where I live - a RX480 is more expensive than a custom GTX970

we haven't, yet, seen founders or custom GTX1060 prices

Just now, zMeul said:

Oh zMeul you make me laugh every time :D

You say the rx 480 is obsolete thanks to the 1060 but you also say we have to wait for worldwide pricing.

Explain me why the rx 480 is obsolete without using anything related to price.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

For locals to *.mx I am seeing the Zotac 1060 AIB at the same Price the gigabyte 480 Reference 8gb due to fucked up supply and demand here.

So let us not forget that at least for the time being AMD hasn't gotten the supply worldwide so they're probably gonna pay for it a bit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

What is being missed is that you guys are blaming AMD or Nvidia for the pricing abroad when they set their suggested MSRP's and vendors are the ones who either follow them or not. You are buying your card from a third party... blame them, not AMD or Nvidia. 

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

well, if you haven't read my 2nd post, AMD has a history of fucked up pricing in EU - here, the RX480 is more expensive than a custom GTX970

GTX1060:

• it draws less power
  • is quieter
  • is cooler
  • generally better performance

so yeah, RX480 is obsolete

no to mention that AIB partner RX480s are nowhere to be seen other than leaked pictures

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

So in Sweden the 1060 costs 3.5% more, performs 10% better, overclocks better, runs cooler, runs quieter, and has better software support. The RX 480 is dead to me, unless the custom cooler versions somehow flips the tables completely, and costs less. The chances of that happening are close to 0 though.

The key word there is "in Sweden" though. It seems like it varies a lot from country to country, so it's foolish to make any broad statements like "the 480 is better in price:performance", or "the 1060 is more expensive".

the custom coolers for rx480 will make them cool and quiet. But it won't change the fact that gtx1060 is faster in majority of games. Expect a minor price cut from AMD as they attempt to better position the rx480 as price/perf card.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

well, if you haven't read my 2nd post, AMD has a history of fucked up pricing in EU - here, the RX480 is more expensive than a custom GTX970

• it draws less power
  • is quieter
  • is cooler

Cool story bro, go buy an Nvidia product then...

Zotac 1060 AMP Edition cost RM 1,399 here ($350). Most probably one of the cheapest 1060 you can find in Msia.

zotac_04.jpg

http://www.goldfries.com/hardware-reviews/zotac-geforce-gtx-1060-amp-edition-graphics-card-review/

Ref 480 cost RM1,249 ($312)

3 minutes ago, Humbug said:

the custom coolers for rx480 will make them cool and quiet

so will the custom GTX1060s

EVGA already has a stumpy card 

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

• it draws less power
  • is quieter
  • is cooler

no to mention that AIB partner RX480s are nowhere to be seen other than leaked pictures

Well yea but if the 1060 is i don't know 1000 euros (it won't but i'm just trying to make my point here why price matters) who would even care?

yea it's better than an rx 480 but if the rx 480 is a LOT cheaper, like 75% cheaper, then that would be fine.

Draws less power, yes, but almost nobody cares about that because the rx 480 has already a quite low power draw so most people will be fine with that.
quieter and cooler, that's up to the AIB, and they haven't indeed arrived but that will very likely change over 3 days so for now.

Quite a few of them are up for pre-order at OCUK with the first being expected the 22th.

But then again if 1060 AIB's are 1000 euros and the rx 480's are 250 in  3 days i don't think a lot of them will go out and buy a card with a stupid price.

The only reason you could call the rx 480 obsolete is because it's price/performance is in every single way terrible compared to the 1060 which isn't the case.

And the pricing isn't fucked in the EU, that's just where you live.

If you look at OCUK the pricing is already starting to drop to what you would expect, and i'm expecting germany to follow soon.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

You guys need to calm down, god damn it... I hoped to buy a rx480 aswell, but I am honest with myself and it is kind of obvious that going with the 1060, unfortunately, is the better value for the money. I can get a 1060 SC for the same price as the reference 480 ...As I am not responsable for AMDs profit, I will not get a facutal worse product, simply to support them - It is about what profits me the most. I hope Vega will be another story, I really do.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

1 hour ago, samcool55 said:

Oh zMeul you make me laugh every time :D

You say the rx 480 is obsolete thanks to the 1060 but you also say we have to wait for worldwide pricing.

That's the famous zMeul logic. :)

Just now, samcool55 said:

Well yea but if the 1060 is i don't know 1000 euros (it won't but i'm just trying to make my point here why price matters) who would even care?

yea it's better than an rx 480 but if the rx 480 is a LOT cheaper, like 75% cheaper, then that would be fine.

Draws less power, yes, but almost nobody cares about that because the rx 480 has already a quite low power draw so most people will be fine with that.
quieter and cooler, that's up to the AIB, and they haven't indeed arrived but that will very likely change over 3 days so for now.

Quite a few of them are up for pre-order at OCUK with the first being expected the 22th.

But then again if 1060 AIB's are 1000 euros and the rx 480's are 250 in  3 days i don't think a lot of them will go out and buy a card with a stupid price.

The only reason you could call the rx 480 obsolete is because it's price/performance is in every single way terrible compared to the 1060 which isn't the case.

And the pricing isn't fucked in the EU, that's just where you live.

If you look at OCUK the pricing is already starting to drop to what you would expect, and i'm expecting germany to follow soon.

I rally like to know what the fuck are you on about!? 1000EUROS

the Eurozone prices differ from country to country as we have different VAT %