NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Reviews + Benchmarks

HKZeroFive

German prices:

gtx 1060 ~330-340 € (partner cards)

rx 480 ~260-280 € (of course reference cards up to this point only)

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

And then for no reason AMD lowers the price of the RX 480 down to $200 for both the 4GB and 8GB models whilst having plenty of stock for them as Nvidia still struggles getting DX12 and Vulkan performance. *cough* My inner AMD fanboy is trying to break free...

Well maybe if you look at it from a different perspective your fanboy might calm down.

Just take your time and go through the recent history of both companies.

Both of them made mistakes, the recent rx 480 power thing is just an example of many.

A good place to start is to go to their forums and look at their troubleshoot/problem section.

Or this forum, whatever floats your boat :)

Also put their technologies next to each other and most of them look cool like ansel, make it clear for yourself which one will in your opinion actually improve your gaming experience. Freesync and G-sync are a good example for this.

What's also important is how long you are plannig to keep the gpu. In general AMD cards age better than Nvidia cards, i think it's safe to say the 7XX series and the r9 2XX series are a nice example of that.

I did something similar and the conclusion for me was that i don't want to give Nvidia my money anymore. Of course your conclusion might be different and that's perfectly fine.

It all depends on how you look at it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, Teddy07 said:

German prices:

gtx 1060 ~330-340 € (partner cards)

rx 480 ~260-280 € (of course reference cards up to this point only)

Do you maybe have some sources for this? I might get one from Germany but i can't speak german so it's difficult to find webshops.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Well maybe if you look at it from a different perspective your fanboy might calm down.

Just take your time and go through the recent history of both companies.

Both of them made mistakes, the recent rx 480 power thing is just an example of many.

A good place to start is to go to their forums and look at their troubleshoot/problem section.

Or this forum, whatever floats your boat :)

Also put their technologies next to each other and most of them look cool like ansel, make it clear for yourself which one will in your opinion actually improve your gaming experience. Freesync and G-sync are a good example for this.

What's also important is how long you are plannig to keep the gpu. In general AMD cards age better than Nvidia cards, i think it's safe to say the 7XX series and the r9 2XX series are a nice example of that.

I did something similar and the conclusion for me was that i don't want to give Nvidia my money anymore. Of course your conclusion might be different and that's perfectly fine.

It all depends on how you look at it.

Unfortunately, AMD isn't smart these days...

They will loose so much market share with the lack of AIB cards, that's so sad for them.

Anyhow, the 1060 seems great now, but better wait a week or two for AIB 480 to see if those can be better powered, and with better temps and performances.

(As it is now, AIB 1060 are a better deal than the reference 480, but we lack datas to make the best decisions.)

Just now, samcool55 said:

Do you maybe have some sources for this? I might get one from Germany but i can't speak german so it's difficult to find webshops.

Sure, i just checked the prices in a very big online hardware store, called mindfactory. Pretty sure you can change the language somewhere on the storepage.

Here are the different gtx 1060 cards:  http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/gtx+1060/listing_sort/7

Here is the list with the rx 480s: http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/rx+480/listing_sort/1

4 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Have a gander at https://www.caseking.de/ + http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=RX+480&x=0&y=0

They also have an english setting in the top right. :)

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

40 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

And watch as in 3 months the RX 480 is 25% faster with the driver updates that Nvidia have already pre-cooked for the 1060. Like 780 Ti vs 290x, 980 Ti vs Fury X, etc ad nauseam.

To follow your example, it wasn't 3 months it was closer to 8 or so by the time they've gained that in driver and by that time 290/390 was up against Maxwell anyway.

That's a more accurate way to portray AMD: It's good for people looking into a long term investment, but out of the gate they're always perpetually behind.

-------

Current Rig

-------

£238.99 on scan......out of stock already

£263.65 is the cheapest in stock they have

Most expensive is £325.98

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/gpu-nvidia/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060

A bit overpriced, they may beat the reference RX480 now, but history shows AMD card gain performance over time.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

Have a gander at https://www.caseking.de/ + http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php?search_query=RX+480&x=0&y=0

They also have an english setting in the top right. :)

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Sure, i just checked the prices in a very big online hardware store, called mindfactory. Pretty sure you can change the language somewhere on the storepage.

Here are the different gtx 1060 cards:  http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/gtx+1060/listing_sort/7

Here is the list with the rx 480s: http://www.mindfactory.de/search_result.php/search_query/rx+480/listing_sort/1

Thanks! Seems like prices are actually not that bad.

Are there maybe other german webshops you recommend or are these 2 my best option?

Atm caseking is probably my best option because their shipping costs are cheap compared to every other international website i've found.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Nice

At the MSRP the founders edition gets the same price:performance as the RX 480. But with better software support (nvenc and cuda), lower temps less noisy and what seems to be better overclocking. 

Very nice indeed. Probably going to buy it assuming the price in Sweden isn't as stupid as the price of the 480.

Quick let's talk about how the 480 will cure cancer in the future though updates! Nobody can disprove it so we can all talk out of our asses however much we want and nobody can prove us wrong! Unfalsifiable hypothesises are the best when trying to stay rational and unbiased! 

Hardware unboxed has price to performance as follows:

RX 480 4gb>GTX 1060 AiB>RX 480 8GB>GTX 1060 FE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UISTSZ-fx_8 

That's before overclocking, after overclocking he doesn't do a p2p comparison.

2 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

It's what we expected
480 is better value
1060 is 10% faster

Link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4S5ZaXdgE

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

7% faster than 480 at 1080p for 150-200$ more? RIP

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

10 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Thanks! Seems like prices are actually not that bad.

Are there maybe other german webshops you recommend or are these 2 my best option?

Atm caseking is probably my best option because their shipping costs are cheap compared to every other international website i've found.

Those are really the only two, there was Hardwareversand, but they filed for bankruptcy so void that site. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1060/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png

7% faster than 480 at 1080p for 150-200$ more? RIP

AIB 480 is 200 AIB 1060 is 250. Sincé the 1060 overclocks a hell of a lot more it's way more tan just 7% faster.

Seriously guys the 480 it's still a solid offering regardless for the aforementioned reasons in this thread (Crossfire, better long term support, etc) but you guys are bending over backwards to pretend that the 1060 isn't a damn solid contester to the 480.

Unless you own stock on either companies just let it fucking go.

-------

Current Rig

-------

10 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

AIB 480 is 200 AIB 1060 is 250. Sincé the 1060 overclocks a hell of a lot more it's way more tan just 7% faster.

Seriously guys the 480 it's still a solid offering regardless for the aforementioned reasons in this thread (Crossfire, better long term support, etc) but you guys are bending over backwards to pretend that the 1060 isn't a damn solid contester to the 480.

Unless you own stock on either companies just let it fucking go.

PCWorld summed the 1060 review up like this:

http://i.imgur.com/wF0pqPT.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Why can't just everyone understand that the scaling on pascal is poor, and even though you can OC like hell on pascal, you will be getting the same performance boost like AMD cards when they are OC'ed too?

Even though that, if the AIB 480's are substantially cheaper than the 1060 AIB, then AMD will win any way you look at it. If both are within 10-20$ of each other, then there will be a ruthless competition in the market. The 1060 does beat the 480 by 7-10% in almost all games though.

CPU i5 6600k @ 4.6GHz GPU MSI R9 390 GAMING 8G RAM 8 x 2gb DDR4-2800MHz Avexir RAM Mother Board ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Case NZXT H440 PSU Cooler Master v750 750W Storage WD 1TB Blue + Samsung 950 pro 128gb m.2 pci-e SSD Cooler Corsair H110i GTX

Monitor BenQ BL2420PT 24" 1440p 60Hz

4 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

Is the value of the card worse than the RX 480? Yep. Will it sell more than the AMD counterpart? You betcha. People are paying Titan prices for the 1080 and being happy about their purchase. 

Nvidia obviously spread all the extra cost of the new gen to all the customers.

They need to upgrade their factory, their machinery, cos it is 14nm right now.  

I guess to prevent profit declines, and stock prices go down, they make the pascal card cost more than last gen.

So.. I think that's why they charge you more. 

From a customer's perspective you get a huge performance jump from last gen, (960-1060 970-1070 980-1080 etc), and from nvidia's perspective they set the prices high to gain more profit. There is nothing wrong with that. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Well I found a Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 gaming for about £270 in the UK from Lambda-Tech

another win for nvidia

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

as stated by many posters For AMD to have the rx480 beat the gtx 1060 their only hope is the new wave of Vulkan/dx12 games

http://m.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/19/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1060_founders_edition_review/4#.V45VQ9tuJdY

it's a good thing for AMD that these games have finally started rolling in a decent rate because in traditional dx11/ openGL the gtx1060 mops the floor with rx480.

Hope nvidia can ensure good supply in the channel. I also wouldn't be surprised if AMD does some minor price cuts

https://youtu.be/s2OLQntchWA

Looks like core clock scaling isn't good. But it is a small chip. That is to be expected. 

rx 480 seems to be more fun to OC this time around but your average joe would prefer the 1060 for its autoboost.

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

as stated by many posters For AMD to have the rx480 beat the gtx 1060 their only hope is the new wave of Vulkan/dx12 games

it's a good thing for AMD that these games have finally started rolling in a decent rate because in traditional dx11/ openGL the gtx1060 mops the floor with rx480.

problem is, from the reviews i have seen the GTX 1060 seem to best the RX480 in DX12 and vulcan as well...or at least match it.

only in hitman does the RX480 gets the edge...and even then the difference is small...and this game is notorious for running badly on nvidia.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

problem is, from the reviews i have seen the GTX 1060 seem to best the RX480 in DX12 and vulcan as well...

from what I saw ROTR is the only dx12/vulkan game it can beat rx480? But prove me wrong.

linustechtips didn't use dx12 in their review even though some of the games they used had dx12

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

from what I saw ROTR is the only dx12 game it can beat rx480? But prove me wrong.

linustechtips disabled dx12 in their review even though the games they used had dx12

ROTR's DX12 is broken tbh. 

When comparing cards you really need to wait for the AIB 480 cards. Nvidia dose not get boost in OC ability when switching to AIB cards if it dose it's very minute. AMD on the other hand is the opposite it gains a lot, don't make up your minds already. 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.