Tech support section

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by zehao39,

as a guys below 500 post I think it is not fair. Some people could just get In to this forum but they may are in to this industry for long time. I think every one should have the right to reply. However I do agree you point, may be they can add a title system that good user have a name tag such as expert behind there name so people can choose who to believe

Maybe just add a disagree option to the 4 options to the right ? Also i think post count really doesnt mean much? I only mainly post on threads with a user having an issue and try to help, As i work in IT supporting hardware and software of all types, And only post if i believe ill be helping them.

And now i've got +1 posts to my total posts....yay!

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

may be a LMG forum expert test when they pass the the test they can get the title. May be only who have reach enough agree or best answer can apply for the test.

Just now, DarkShadowUK said:

Maybe just add a disagree option to the 4 options to the right ? Also i think post count really doesnt mean much? I only mainly post on threads with a user having an issue and try to help, As i work in IT supporting hardware and software of all types, And only post if i believe ill be helping them.

And now i've got +1 posts to my total posts....yay!

may be they can have a test for the LMG expert and every can apply?

@Godlygamer23 @Ryan_Vickers What do you guys think?

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 hour ago, DarkShadowUK said:

Maybe just add a disagree option to the 4 options to the right ? Also i think post count really doesnt mean much? 

The mods have enough trolling to deal with, they don't need a button people can mash just to be a dick head. 

ASU

1 hour ago, zehao39 said:

may be when they have enough agree or best answer they can take a test. Then they can be titled

Sorry to be cynical but who will make the "test"? Agree and Best Answer (if counted) are only pointing towards good reputation. Problem with them is, that also OT counts. And people there agree on very weird statements.

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

Being voted by the community? And a lot of people dont hit agree or best answer

That could work. Or people could just vote for their friends.

1 hour ago, DarkShadowUK said:

Maybe just add a disagree option to the 4 options to the right ?

This is latest suggestion thread about that:

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

The mods have enough trolling to deal with, they don't need a button people can mash just to be a dick head. 

Good point, I think nothing will really work otherwise it would already be built into the forum, Guess its just down to the users of the forum helping one another and making sure if someone gives incorrect advise, help out and advise why ect

Gaming Rig:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600X @ 4.1GHz All Cores - Ram: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE - GPU: 5600XT MSI Gaming X - Storage: Samsung EVO 840 250GB - 2TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

HTPC Rig:
CPU: i5 6400 - Ram: 16GB - GPU: 970 GTX - Storage: 120 Kingston SSD & 2x 1TB Seagate Drive OS: Win10

2 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

@Godlygamer23 @Ryan_Vickers What do you guys think?

Post count does not imply experience or otherwise inherently. At best, it provides experience with the forum itself, but that's it. 

For example, Louis from YouTube created an account on here that he hardly ever uses. If anyone knows who he is, they'd know that he has a lot of experience dealing with electronics. In this case, his post count does not imply inexperience with electronics in any regard. 

A lot of troubleshooting threads involves going for the most likely scenario and working from there. If someone states an answer you believe to be incorrect, the best thing to do is to correct them. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Post count does not imply experience or otherwise inherently. At best, it provides experience with the forum itself, but that's it. 

For example, Louis from YouTube created an account on here that he hardly ever uses. If anyone knows who he is, they'd know that he has a lot of experience dealing with electronics. In this case, his post count does not imply inexperience with electronics in any regard. 

A lot of troubleshooting threads involves going for the most likely scenario and working from there. If someone states an answer you believe to be incorrect, the best thing to do is to correct them. 

What about the badges? the voting being an expert

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

I see a few issues with this.  First, a section for tech support doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a forum where the entire forum is basically tech support :)

Second, if we limit people under 500 posts from posting, how will they ever get enough to start?  Third, some people, although brand new, are very knowledgeable so it doesn't make sense to paint them all with the same brush.

We considered briefly limiting posting in general discussion to people over 100 considering how many incorrectly post there vs the correct subforum, but it was deemed unfair and impractical for a few reasons, some of which resembling the above.

In short, don't hold your breath that this will happen.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

15 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I see a few issues with this.  First, a section for tech support doesn't make a whole lot of sense on a forum where the entire forum is basically tech support :)

Second, if we limit people under 500 posts from posting, how will they ever get enough to start?  Third, some people, although brand new, are very knowledgeable so it doesn't make sense to paint them all with the same brush.

We considered briefly limiting posting in general discussion to people over 100 considering how many incorrectly post there vs the correct subforum, but it was deemed unfair and impractical for a few reasons, some of which resembling the above.

In short, don't hold your breath that this will happen.

What about the badges and the voting on people being experts

Spoiler

AXIOM

29 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

We already had that. It was called Trusted Advisor. We stopped using it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 hour ago, Clanscorpia said:

This:

53 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

We already had that. It was called Trusted Advisor. We stopped using it.

That said, it doesn't strike me at first glance as a bad idea necessarily.  We should be more specific though - people trusted in photography, in audio, in graphics cards, etc. if we were to do it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

19 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This:

That said, it doesn't strike me at first glance as a bad idea necessarily.  We should be more specific though - people trusted in photography, in audio, in graphics cards, etc. if we were to do it.

How hard would it be to implement? 

Spoiler

AXIOM

15 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

How hard would it be to implement? 

I'm not sure... I suppose it would only be as hard as having a couple different badges to give out and then we'd just routinely check for people who've been really good in those areas.

46 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This:

It was already a thing. 

As stated post count is not a reflection of knowledge.  Sometimes people with a lot of posts blow (a lot) of hot air, whereas some with low post counts say little, but the little they say is powerful.

I kind of like Tomshardware's system where best answers selected by the OP contribute towards badge progress which you can then display if you so choose.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz