Tech support section

Clanscorpia
Go to solution Solved by zehao39,

as a guys below 500 post I think it is not fair. Some people could just get In to this forum but they may are in to this industry for long time. I think every one should have the right to reply. However I do agree you point, may be they can add a title system that good user have a name tag such as expert behind there name so people can choose who to believe

There's been quite the influx of inexperienced people who have come on here and have been giving people stupid replies that look real but answer incorrectly or they recommend something terrible to stupid. A section where people can ask things but only have people with 500+ posts answer. Im not saying people below 500 are idiots Im just saying from what I've seen most people over that give quite accurate answers, or if they can't answer they ask someone else. This would be for threads like troubleshooting and new builds and planning where most of this occurs. 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

I have to disagree with the 500+ posts thang because how are new users going to get to said threshold? Sure everyone wants good answers to their questions so they will certainly tick that box when creating their topic. But everyone with less than 500 will be screwed, nowhere to post. 

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

I have to disagree with the 500+ posts thang because how are new users going to get to said threshold? Sure everyone wants good answers to their questions so they will certainly tick that box when creating their topic. But everyone with less than 500 will be screwed, nowhere to post. 

Maybe change it everyone can reply but an incorrect answer or terrible recommendation is a strike and 3 strikes bans you from the thread? Things like Hobby electronics, peripherals etc will stay in there own topic I mean for threads like troubleshooting and new builds and planning

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

to be honest with you, i'm 99.95% sure that the forum would have something like you described if it actually worked.

a lot of the "tech support"-like threads are mostly guesswork, and/or opinion.

3 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Maybe change it everyone can reply but an incorrect answer or terrible recommendation is a strike and 3 strikes bans you from the thread? Things like Hobby electronics, peripherals etc will stay in there own topic I mean for threads like troubleshooting and new builds and planning

No. Because that discourages the learning of those people. If they're purposely being very unhelpful across many threads, then a mod can deal with them 

ASU

Post count is not indicative of knowledge. There are people who have far less posts than me but yet have far more experience and insight on a specific tech topic. Segregating new members because we generalise them as 'unknowledgeable' is going to come off as discouraging and anti-social.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

No. Because that discourages the learning of those people. If they're purposely being very unhelpful across many threads, then a mod can deal with them 

I dont mean purposeful I just mean dont actually know but think they do. Like this guy: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/325400-disconnectedyt/

Spoiler

AXIOM

as a guys below 500 post I think it is not fair. Some people could just get In to this forum but they may are in to this industry for long time. I think every one should have the right to reply. However I do agree you point, may be they can add a title system that good user have a name tag such as expert behind there name so people can choose who to believe

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I dont mean purposeful I just mean dont actually know but think they do. Like this guy: https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/325400-disconnectedyt/

Come on dude. Naming individual people behind their backs isn't cool.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Post count is not indicative of knowledge. There are people who have far less posts than me but yet have far more experience and insight on a specific tech topic. Segregating new members because we generalise them as 'unknowledgeable' is going to come off as discouraging and anti-social.

and there's idiots like me that have no idea how they even managed to get this many posts :P

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Come on dude. Naming individual people behind their backs isn't cool.

I didn't, everyone in the exp with non techies did

Spoiler

AXIOM

3 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

^^^ That is a much better idea

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

The only thing I noticed in the quick glance I had at his profile was his lack of understanding on how gpu overclocking works, and how he won the Silicon lottery with that g3258. Like damn, 5ghz? Maybe it's not stable, but damn, if it is... 

ASU

4 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

Agreed. 

Lol, we had member titles if you were over 500 posts, but then the update happened. Perhaps showing their reputation numbers in their profile? 

ASU

4 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

I didn't, everyone in the exp with non techies did

Not exactly helping by pointing him out. I wouldn't happy if I heard people talking about me behind my back.

Spoiler

I really do like the expert idea. Like how @Hackentosher seems to be a 3D printer and drone expert at first glance and the dude with the ampharos profile pic (Sorry forgot his name) is the PSU expert

Spoiler

AXIOM

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Not exactly helping by pointing him out. I wouldn't happy if I heard people talking about me behind my back.

I was just providing an example

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I was just providing an example

Like I said, no need to point people out in the first place.

Spoiler

Actually a good idea would be to base it off of how many "best answers" a user has. But then again, some don't bother marking those.

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

I really do like the expert idea. Like how @Hackentosher seems to be a 3D printer and drone expert at first glance and the dude with the ampharos profile pic (Sorry forgot his name) is the PSU expert

Ah yes, @STRMfrmXMN. People like him and myself just kinda get a reputation for being contributing members of the community, creating guides, being passionate with what we're knowledgeable about. 

ASU

20 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

We had badge for people with extensive knowledge on some topics. But they got rid of it for two reasons. 1) It's pretty hard to say when someone has so good knowledge on some subject that they are almost always right on topics about it. And what if they make mistake on some other section where they aren't expert in? 2) It turned out that only moderators had those badges (@GoodBytes for Windows/OS, @Ghost for water cooling etc.).

We also already have two ways to promote good replies. Best Answer feature (which only lets choose one (usually intended to be either first which was helpful or most extensive)). And Reputations (Agree and Informative). Its overall better to educate those who post wrong or uneducated answers, they might learn something in process. If there's someone who continuously posts false answers, just report them for trolling and give your helping hand to thread. Personally I like to correct people who are wrong, if I come across them.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

We had badge for people with extensive knowledge on some topics. But they got rid of it for two reasons. 1) It's pretty hard to say when someone has so good knowledge on some subject that they are almost always right on topics about it. And what if they make mistake on some other section where they aren't expert in? 2) It turned out that only moderators had those badges (@GoodBytes for Windows/OS, @Ghost for water cooling etc.).

We also already have two ways to promote good replies. Best Answer feature (which only lets choose one (usually intended to be either first which was helpful or most extensive)). And Reputations (Agree and Informative). Its overall better to educate those who post wrong or uneducated answers, they might learn something in process. If there's someone who continuously posts false answers, just report them for trolling and give your helping hand to thread. Personally I like to correct people who are wrong, if I come across them.

but can some one be titled in only one section such as PSU expert. Title do not mean some one is right it just mean he have more exp in this section

6 minutes ago, zehao39 said:

but can some one be titled in only one section such as PSU expert. Title do not mean some one is right it just mean he have more exp in this section

Maybe they can be named such way. But there again comes the thing. When is one enough qualified to gain such title? How would they be chosen?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Maybe they can be named such way. But there again comes the thing. When is one enough qualified to gain such title? How would they be chosen?

may be when they have enough agree or best answer they can take a test. Then they can be titled

4 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Being voted by the community? And a lot of people dont hit agree or best answer

Spoiler

AXIOM