GPU died?

Brian Furious

Hello everyone I am new to the forum, however I have been following it for troubleshotting for a long time.

A few days ago my AMD HD 6850 2GB version became to be weird. I used to OC it in the past with even slight voltage (from 1.150V to 1.165 which is significantly irrilevant). However since here in summer are about 25°C in my room I wanted to avoid to get the GPU too hot (it was at about 80°C underload and 75°C at stock speed), and I prefered to keep it at stock speeds. I kept it for a month and suddenly while playing GTA V I see that a little artifacts then the screen split in two opposite sides (the right went to left and viceversa), so I restarted the PC and everything went good for another 30 minuntes. So I quit GTA V and in the evening I play some CSGO which does not utilize the GPU at 100% all the time (most of time 75 - 80%) then happened the same thing. The next day happens the same thing but more often at the point that even YouTube that give the GPU 1 - 5% of usage make the artifcats on the screen. I tried to to completly uninstall the drivers and reinstall them, but without success. Everytime I try to install the drivers again I see blue screen or even black screen that freezes for a couple of seconds and make the  PC restarting.

Here are some things that show pretty much what I was talking about:

IMG_20160717_203731.jpg

IMG_20160717_203725.jpg

DRIVER CRASH & RESTORES EVERY SECOND THEN THE SYSTEM CRASHES 

IMG_20160717_203740.jpg

IMG_20160717_203719.jpg

HERE IS A QUICK VIDEO ON WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH THE SYSTEM. I WAS LUCKY TO TAKE THE PICS ABOVE SINCE IT IS RARE THAT I CAN INSTALL DRIVERS THAT LEAST FOR A FEW SECONDS BEFORE EVERYTHING CRASHES.

Edited by Brian Furious

It seems like your graphics card is dying. Does your CPU have internal graphics? If so, turn on the onboard graphics in your BIOS if necessary and take out the GPU. See if that keeps running as it should.

Folding@Home ~75k points per day | My Simple Air-cooled Machine Maintenance Guide | Dutch Talk | Building a Wooden Popsicle Stick House

Main rig: i7-3770 stock - ASUS P8Z77-M - 8GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2x Radeon HD6970 2GB - SilverStone GD05-B - Corsair RM650x

welcome to the forums!

try uninstalling the Drivers using DDU then reinstalling them. If that does not fix the problem, switch to integrated graphics and see if you still have the same problem.

Spoiler

My computers as of 2017/03

My Old PC

Spoiler

Dell Vostro 260 $150 2010

CPU: i3-2120@3.3Ghz, GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2000, ATI Radeon X1300, RAM: 4GB Axevir Budget Series, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: random 250GB and random 160 GB, CASE: Crap from Dell, OS: Windows 7 Enterprise

My Current PC

Spoiler

Custom Build $1200 2016

CPU: i5-6600k@3.6Ghz, GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury, RAM: 16GB Geil EVO X, SSD: 240GB Radeon R7, HDD: Hitachi 500GB, CASE: Deepcool Kendomen, OS: Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Laptop

Spoiler

ASUS F8S $1150 2008

CPU: Core 2 Duo T7500, GPU: ATI 2400 Mobility, RAM: 8GB Mushkins, SSHD: 1TB Seagate Hybrid Drive, OS: Windows 7 Ultimate N and Windows 10 Professional

HTPC

Spoiler

MSi Cubi $200 2016

CPU: Pentium 3805u@1.9Ghz, GPU: Intel HD, RAM: 4GB Crucial DDR3L, SSD: 120GB Radeon R7

Other Laptop

Spoiler

HP 2210b $400 2009

CPU: Core 2 Duo T8100@2.1Ghz, GPU: Intel GM965, RAM: 2GB Hynix, HDD: Hitachi 160GB, OS: Linux Mint 17.3 and Lubuntu

*All Prices in the Canadian Dollar

if you switch to integrated graphics as these guys said it functions as it should, it is definitely a issue with your gpu, but before you do that check that the issue is not your connection and try different cables and ports. if neither works then your gpu is dying.

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

2 hours ago, Xineas said:

It seems like your graphics card is dying. Does your CPU have internal graphics? If so, turn on the onboard graphics in your BIOS if necessary and take out the GPU. See if that keeps running as it should.

I am actually writting this from my iGPU. Everything works fine.

2 hours ago, Hydraxiler32 said:

welcome to the forums!

try uninstalling the Drivers using DDU then reinstalling them. If that does not fix the problem, switch to integrated graphics and see if you still have the same problem.

When I said about reinstalling the drivers and I did a DDU uninstall then a clean installation without success. As I said above I am using the iGPU without problems. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Johntheawesomeguy said:

if you switch to integrated graphics as these guys said it functions as it should, it is definitely a issue with your gpu, but before you do that check that the issue is not your connection and try different cables and ports. if neither works then your gpu is dying.

Thank you for the reply. I switched the PCIE connector and slot, I changed the cable and the connector, I even went to my friend's house to try the GPU on his PC but when trying to install the drivers crashes as well..

At this point I just have a dead GPU?

P.S I edited the first post with a video that shows what pretty much happens when installing the drivers or booting up the machine.

This happened to me when I had my 8600GT back in the day. The problem was blown capacitors to the point of instability. For me I blew about 6 capacitors before I started having issues. In theory, changing bulging/blown capacitors should fix your issue but in all honesty your card is not worth the trouble of saving. Time to finally have an excuse to upgrade

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

4 minutes ago, GangstaRas said:

This happened to me when I had my 8600GT back in the day. The problem was blown capacitors to the point of instability. For me I blew about 6 capacitors before I started having issues. In theory, changing bulging/blown capacitors should fix your issue but in all honesty your card is not worth the trouble of saving. Time to finally have an excuse to upgrade

Thank you! I don't know what I can afford for about 100 bucks. I wanted to see how GTX1060 performs and maybe upgrading in 3 - 4 months. Now I cannot stay that long without playing anything :( . I suppose I have to buy a lower budget GPU

2 hours ago, Brian Furious said:

Thank you! I don't know what I can afford for about 100 bucks. I wanted to see how GTX1060 performs and maybe upgrading in 3 - 4 months. Now I cannot stay that long without playing anything :( . I suppose I have to buy a lower budget GPU

Well you could get the R7 360 for $100 USD on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Overclocked-Graphics-GV-R736OC-2GD-REV2-0/dp/B01DT48WSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468808395&sr=8-1&keywords=r7+260x though I'd save and wait as well, you want an upgrade, not a reminder of where you're coming from

System: Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.4GHz, EVGA GTX 960 SSC 2GB ACX 2.0, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Kingston HyperX RAM, ASRock B75M-DGS R2.0 Motherboard, Corsair CX430 W Power Supply

9 hours ago, GangstaRas said:

Well you could get the R7 360 for $100 USD on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Overclocked-Graphics-GV-R736OC-2GD-REV2-0/dp/B01DT48WSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468808395&sr=8-1&keywords=r7+260x though I'd save and wait as well, you want an upgrade, not a reminder of where you're coming from

I live in Italy. However the prices a little higher and they should be

Have you stripped off the cooler, and also actually checked the capacitors?

Fan could have failed?, Reseating cooler with new thermal compound could work? Bulging capacitors will be terminal unless replaced.

5 hours ago, Bellshooter said:

Have you stripped off the cooler, and also actually checked the capacitors?

Fan could have failed?, Reseating cooler with new thermal compound could work? Bulging capacitors will be terminal unless replaced.

I replaced already the thermal paste. The fan is running just fine and the capacitors look in a very good state...

20160718_192629.jpg

20160718_192737.jpg

20160718_192744.jpg

20160718_192753.jpg

20160718_192756.jpg

20160718_192814.jpg