Should I Bother Getting an Optical Drive Anymore?

Hello! I just recently purchased a new case for my PC. It is a ThermalTake Core P3. I really like the idea of showcasing the innards and this case does a good job at that. The P3 or its bigger brother, the P5, does not have any dedicated area for an optical drive. If I do get one then I would Upgrade to a Blue Ray Drive since that is the only disk based media I have at home. These drives are not cheap, the lowest price i have found was still over $100.

If I do end up getting one, I will have two options in where to put the Optical Drive in this case. The first options would be to get a slot loading slim optical drive and place it inside the enclosure of the case. I would have to cut a slot on the case in the front bellow the IO. This will be a nice clean look. I would just need to pad the hole with something to prevent any disks from getting scratched by the metal. The second option would be to get an external optical slot drive and mount it on the case where the HHD space is right under the Radiator. The look will the depend on what type of external drive I end up choosing. I would have to get brackets to securely mount it onto the case. 

Please let me know what the community thinks, should I save my money and not even get one? If i do get one, which option sounds the best, inside or outside?

External Driveprofile.jpg

External slot drivefront.jpg

slot inside.jpg

slot insideprofile.jpg

I would get an external blu-Ray drive, and just keep it in a drawer or on a shelf when not in use. Just set it on top of the case or on the desk when you do use it.

2 hours ago, TacticlTwinkie said:

I would get an external blu-Ray drive, and just keep it in a drawer or on a shelf when not in use. Just set it on top of the case or on the desk when you do use it.

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Sure it could be put out is sight but then I would be taking up space in that drawer and cluttering it up with wires when I do need to use it. I already get a bit annoyed when I have to constantly plug in my vr headset. 

Edited by MrTadakichi

16 minutes ago, MrTadakichi said:

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Sure it could be put out is sight but then I would be taking up space in that drawer and cluttering it up with wires when I do need to use it. I already get a bit annoyed when I have to constantly plug in my vr headset. 

Hmmm, assuming you put your case on a desk, you could go with the external drive, and just sit it under the case. The feet apear to raise it up enough off the desk for one to fit. It could face you, leaving it easy to access, while being in a semi-permanent location and would require no cutting and bolting.

But if you are insistent on bolting it to the case, I like the idea of bolting it to the side, and not needing to cut a slot into the front of the case. It seems to be much easier, and negates the potential of royally fucking up the face of the case with the grinder/dremel. You can paint the drive and the brackets to match.

Why not just get an external optical drive and have it hidden in the case.  You'd have to open the case to put a disk in...but you'll only do that like once or twice.  I personally wouldn't cut a hole in such a beautiful case.  It won't look very good, no matter how good you are at cutting.  You're also cutting into a screw hole which could cause the case to fall apart.

Soooo, This is what I will end up doing. I am going to just continue using the internal Asus optical drive that I currently have. I will be painting it white, all of it!!! well except for the back, that is just crazy. I will mount it on the outside, just like the first two pictures. As for the screws, I will be painting them white too. Try to keep the whole front of the case clean. thanks again for the suggestions.

I should be getting the case soon. Hopefully before I move to a new apartment. The case should arrive first. I am not sure when I will be getting the CableMod extensions or the NZXT Hue+. I am also thinking of getting some acrylic and doing a custom cover shield for the AIO. Perhaps if that goes well maybe I will also do a custom shield for the motherboard, at least so I can still be able to have my mobo shield in place since this case does not offer any mounting for it. I am planing on doing a video of this build plus posting it here on LTT. 

• 3 years later...

Sorry to necro this but do you have any pictures of how it turned out? =)