How to ship my pc?

Cyroos

So, I'm moving across the country in about a month for college, and I've got my computer I want to take with me. But the problem is transportation and how to deal with the water cooling nubbins. How exactly should I go about shipping it? (transporting it myself isn't an option)

Thanks!

Firstly, I would take out the graphics card and any components that aren't super secured. I would also probably put a fragile sticker on it or something. And I guess finally put a lot of foam with it so it can't move around at all.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

What exactly is cooling it? Is it a full custom loop? Just an AIO?

Normally you would definitely want to remove the GPU, and then everything else is usually pretty solid, although I'd go further and remove the CPU cooler (AIO or air cooled) and sending that separately as well so there really isn't any weight putting tension on places you don't want it. Once thats done you'd want the case to be really cushioned. The PSU, CPU, and motherboard will be pretty secured.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Removing the card for sure. What about the pump/res and drives? I dont know how aggressive UPS will be haha.

Thread moved to General Discussion.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Difficult one, I would definitely surround it in foam etc not too sure about whether to put something in the inside; just incase it leaks in your case?

UPS tend to be quite good, got a package from San Jose last week (it travelled to the UK stopped about 8 times after 4 plane trips) can't doubt the fact everything is un-damaged and looks great still but it's unfortunately not with liquid.

Jr. Systems Administrator

*All my opinions are my own based on my Technical Experiences and Tech Reviews!

You should ship it in 2 different boxes. The first would be your PC minus your gpu, cpu cooler, and depending on what watercooling you have, that may need to be removed too. If you want to be extra safe, remove your psu and mechanical hard drives too. Ship that in the case's original box.  The second box will be for everything you removed, preferably in their original boxes. The big box with the PC will ship cheapest using Fedex Ground/home delivery but make sure you create an account on their website. Saves you about 30% that way. The second box might be cheaper to ship using Fedex or USPS Priority Mail depending on where you're shipping it and the weight. Buy that label from Paypal. 

1 hour ago, Archarin said:

Firstly, I would take out the graphics card and any components that aren't super secured. I would also probably put a fragile sticker on it or something. And I guess finally put a lot of foam with it so it can't move around at all.

In my experience, fragile stickers just make the carriers handle the package even more roughly. They honestly do not care if it's fragile or not. You just have to package it well and insure the package if you can't afford to lose it. USPS insurance claims are pretty painless so I prefer to deal with them. 

1 hour ago, Archarin said:

wouldnt putting foam around the mobo create static? 

i put newspaper around my gpu and dont take anything out

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

5 minutes ago, Kermit said:

wouldnt putting foam around the mobo create static? 

i put newspaper around my gpu and dont take anything out

Newspaper will generate static. It depends on the foam, but foam as a general rule will generate static electricity. But if the motherboard is still in the chassis, and you're putting foam around the case, the board should be fine as it'll be grounded to the chassis through a floating ground.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch