This is really bugging me.

mattonfire

For some reason whenever I feel, tired, or have a headache or ill my parents always blame it on my frickin' PC! It really bugs me, for 2 people who have limited knowing of anything tech related and jump to conclusions like that drives me insane. Earlier I woke up and I was like "Ahh, I just woke up with a headache" my Dad went "it's that bloody computer" Good job Dad, the only thing that could cause headache is repetitive eye strain from being too close on a monitor for too long, while I'm on for a few hours a day with a monitor further than arm length away. Sorry for the rant, it's just bugging me.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

K? There is a thing called status updates and/or off topic.

Sorry, thought this was still relating to computers... but not... I didn't know where to put it.

Technically if you are tired or have a headache you should rest. Computer screens run you down if exposed for long amounts of time. It is known that if you are tired it can cause headaches. Perhaps you should spend a little less time on your PC at night and sleep a little longer. Go outside and drink plenty of water. You control the computer. Don't let the computer control you.

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Your parents are doing the right thing. They are looking out for you and making sure you are healthy. My dad is the same and I appreciate it. Every 20 minutes, I look out for something 20ft away for 20 seconds. It help exercise the eyes. I know that in the long run, I won't have to suffer from eye injuries due to overly using my PC.

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

2 minutes ago, gFrenken97 said:

Say whatever you want but I always feel like shit whenI leave my PC on over night.

I think it has to do with the same air circulating through your room and then through your PC etc.

That might be more so because of sound coming from your computer and possibly light if you leave your monitor on.  Even if the sound isn't very much it could still be enough to affect the quality of your sleep.  

20 minutes ago, Warning said:

Your parents are doing the right thing. They are looking out for you and making sure you are healthy. My dad is the same and I appreciate it. Every 20 minutes, I look out for something 20ft away for 20 seconds. It help exercise the eyes. I know that in the long run, I won't have to suffer from eye injuries due to overly using my PC.

you clearly never had parents that have no idea about technology.

my dad claims watching a dvd on a tv using a dvd player helps catching sleep, but watching a dvd on a tv using a computer suddenly will make you not sleep for weeks on end.

17 minutes ago, Warning said:

Parents looking out for the health of their children is good which you're right about.  However, the impression I'm getting from OP is that their parents no nothing about computers and are jumping to the ridiculous assumption that computers are bad for your health.  

Sure staring at a monitor can strain your eyes and contribute to headaches but that doesn't mean it's the computer itself that's to blame.

Also, OP said they woke up and already had a headache.  They then told their parents who jump to the incorrect conclusion that the computer was the cause despite that being impossible since OP was obviously not using their computer while asleep.  When someone wakes up with a headache it's ridiculous to even consider that a computer is the cause.  

It makes as much sense to blame a PC for a headache while asleep as my brother saying no one can notice a difference between 1080p and 4K along with saying 4K is some kind of marketing trick to get people to buy expensive new TVs...

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Parents looking out for the health of their children is good which you're right about.  However, the impression I'm getting from OP is that their parents no nothing about computers and are jumping to the ridiculous assumption that computers are bad for your health.  

Sure staring at a monitor can strain your eyes and contribute to headaches but that doesn't mean it's the computer itself that's to blame.

Also, OP said they woke up and already had a headache.  They then told their parents who jump to the incorrect conclusion that the computer was the cause despite that being impossible since OP was obviously not using their computer while asleep.  When someone wakes up with a headache it's ridiculous to even consider that a computer is the cause.  

It makes as much sense to blame a PC for a headache while asleep as my brother saying no one can notice a difference between 1080p and 4K along with saying 4K is some kind of marketing trick to get people to buy expensive new TVs...

I agree but using the computer in assigned sleeping times decreases sleep which can cause headaches in the morning.

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

10 minutes ago, Warning said:

I agree but using the computer in assigned sleeping times decreases sleep which can cause headaches in the morning.

I know that the blue light (blue end of the spectrum for sure) from a monitor or tv can trick your brain into not being tired or affect sleep quality but I've never had headaches the morning after using my PC, tv, or iPad near when I go to sleep.  

I suppose this could vary from person to person so you may have a point.

Either way OP's parents are definitely making uninformed assumptions about PCs which should be discouraged.  We don't need people continuing to believe crazy things like wifi can cause health issues so unplug the router at night or that computers can cause headaches or other health issues.  

2 hours ago, Warning said:

thing is we could say the same about reading books, watching tv, and making puzzles on the dinner table.

Why are you waking up with a headache? Why are you constantly tired?

Both you and your parents should actually take this up to a doctor instead of bitter back and forth it certainly doesn't sounds normal.

-------

Current Rig

-------

6 hours ago, Warning said:

I know that in the long run, I won't have to suffer from eye injuries due to overly using my PC.

Injuries like?

6 hours ago, mattonfire said:

For some reason whenever I feel, tired, or have a headache or ill my parents always blame it on my frickin' PC! It really bugs me, for 2 people who have limited knowing of anything tech related and jump to conclusions like that drives me insane. Earlier I woke up and I was like "Ahh, I just woke up with a headache" my Dad went "it's that bloody computer" Good job Dad, the only thing that could cause headache is repetitive eye strain from being too close on a monitor for too long, while I'm on for a few hours a day with a monitor further than arm length away. Sorry for the rant, it's just bugging me.

I have meares irlen syndrome can tell you for a fact you don't have to be close to a screen to get a head ache from it. Hell I can get brain crippling head aches because the light is different level to that of outside. I see flashes when red and blue or blue and yellow and black and white are next to each other.

I do have glasses to help with it but i lost them like 1 year a go and i haven't got around to get new ones :/

people jump to conclusions all the time. Post hoc ergo propeter hoc, after this therefore because of this. It's a flaw in our logic where we go B happened after A so therefore A must be the cause. 

to your parents you have a head ache after being on the computer therefore it must be the cause.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

11 hours ago, gFrenken97 said:

Say whatever you want but I always feel like shit when I leave my PC on over night.

I think it has to do with the same air circulating through your room and then through your PC etc.

My teacher called that "microwaves"  she told us to go home and turn off our electronics so we could sleep in a "microwave free" room. I don't know how I kept a straight face. 

But I agree, I usually turn my computer off when I sleep. I'd be more worried about the router being on blasting all those signals at your brain. Although that's just me thinking weirdly. 

Since the summer started I've been on my computer to 2 AM In The morning and sleep till around 11 am. I haven't had any headaches or sleeping problems. The only time I had headaches when using computers was during spring break, but the headaches weren't because I was using the computer but rather I ate a whole package of cheese (it was really good btw)

I've never gotten headaches from being on a computer, only from eating certain foods and lack of sleep (lack of sleep is normally on long car trips and not from being on my computer late because I just sleep in later after being on my computer late) 

do I think you can get headaches and other things after prolonged periods of gaming? Yes, but I think it varies from person to person and also the monitor or TV you are using. I currently have a nice asus ROG monitor that says it has all these neat technologies that allows you to play long gaming sessions and not have it be detrimental to your health. 

4 hours ago, corsairian said:

My teacher called that "microwaves"  she told us to go home and turn off our electronics so we could sleep in a "microwave free" room. I don't know how I kept a straight face. 

But I agree, I usually turn my computer off when I sleep. I'd be more worried about the router being on blasting all those signals at your brain. Although that's just me thinking weirdly. 

now im scared of having my router in my room

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/07/2016 at 2:42 PM, Misanthrope said:

Why are you waking up with a headache? Why are you constantly tired?

Both you and your parents should actually take this up to a doctor instead of bitter back and forth it certainly doesn't sounds normal.

Thanks for all your input people, I went to the doctors in the end and I found out my eyes have trouble with light. The doctor was extremely vague about it but I got the impression that having no light in background could be causing my eyes to struggle when looking directly into the light screen. It was either that or he implied it could be my positioning while on the PC thus buying a chair that supports my back a little more than the $10 chair from the corner shop. As for my parents, they still make outrageous judgements from little to no evidence, that's unfortunately something that can't be cured/treated.