Any other Apathetic gamers here?

42kq

I can no longer enjoy new videogames, rarely anything gets me excited anymore. I feel like I've seen it all before (and done better 5-10 years ago). Most modern games are so full of hollow and empty promises that I can no longer get on the hypetrain. Because, I've seen it derail time and time again. Games like CS:GO, Battlefield, Evolve, Etc all failed to live up to expectations and were riddled with DLC and other abusive microtransactions designed to shake down the customer for every last cent. Last game I bought was bf3 almost 5 years ago, with my (then)new pc and realized how utter shit it was. I was so disappointed that I haven't spent any money on videogames since(except for kickstarters scams like mighty no.9 and the yogscast game). I did play free weekends and demos if available. I'm just so jaded that I'm unable to believe anything that devs and publishers say anymore. I am interested for tarkov and skyrim remastered but in the back of my head I dread how will they screw it up this time?

And it's not just the AAA industry, it's the indie devs too, what a pretentious lot. TBH braid, limbo, fez, etc. They all suck, they are pretentious over rated hipster trash. Relying more on their novelty and subject matter to sell than any substance or gameplay. The worst of them all was gone home. I feel like the videogame industry has forgotten how to make good games and the Core audience just doesnt care anymore. Is there anyone else like me out there? Just apathetic to all the hype and unable to open their wallet for any new releases? 

I think you are going into games expecting something, your expectations are what are derailing your entertainment.

E7-8890 V3 x2 , 12TB DDR4 @ 1866, Quadro K6000's + 2x GTX 1080's.

i still play team fortress 2 and gta san andreas. my newest game ive played is cs go. im not a gamer anyways nowdays.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

wait, cs:go has abusive microtransactions?

CSGO is just a gambling simulator and has a MM mode with meaningless ranks?, not sure how that is DLC. That's the core game.

2 minutes ago, Tom Hanks said:

I think you are going into games expecting something, your expectations are what are derailing your entertainment.

I'm expecting a good game.

wait, cs:go has abusive microtransactions?

I consider it abusive to require customers to gamble their money away for a rare cosmetic. I have the same issue in TF2. 

1 minute ago, Tom Hanks said:

CSGO is just a gambling simulator and has a MM mode with meaningless ranks?, not sure how that is DLC. That's the core game.

so... i'm really the only one that has CS:GO in his steam library and gives no two shits about skins arent i?

so... i'm really the only one that has CS:GO in his steam library and gives no two shits about skins arent i?

Oh, don't know about that i don't play it, played for about 3 hours i think... not my kind of game.

1 minute ago, 42kq said:

I consider it abusive to require customers to gamble their money away for a rare cosmetic. I have the same issue in TF2. 

or you just play the dang game and dont give a damn about pixels on a screen. its not a requirement you have this super rare skin, nor does it even make you play better.

in fact, steam doesnt allow you to turn skins into real money.

3 minutes ago, 42kq said:

Stop expecting a good game.

1 minute ago, Tom Hanks said:

Stop expecting a good game.

i think he's expecting some kind of idealist scenario out of games that are just made to appeal to the broader audience of dickweeds. games like CS:GO thrive off of sheer userbase, thats how that genre works, and implementing skins seems to just have gotten part of that.

there's plenty of fish in the pond, somewhere out there is THE game for you, and if you keep you mind shut behind selfish ignorance you arent gonna find it.

i think he's expecting some kind of idealist scenario out of games that are just made to appeal to the broader audience of dickweeds. games like CS:GO thrive off of sheer userbase, thats how that genre works, and implementing skins seems to just have gotten part of that.

there's plenty of fish in the pond, somewhere out there is THE game for you, and if you keep you mind shut behind selfish ignorance you arent gonna find it.

I got Dying Light yesterday, i absolutely adore this game, though it scares me.

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Apart from me, yes.

ITS SO GOOD

My current build - Ever Changing.

Number 1 On LTT LGA 1150 CPU Cinebench R15

http://hwbot.org/users/TheGamingBarrel

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

If I did decide to buy CS:GO that's probably how I'd play it. That's how I've been playing TF2. 

Micro transactions tend to not bother me too much. But GTA V has me kinda mixed with its use of Micro transactions. It technically doesn't change gameplay too much. As it's easier to make money online now, but still buying the shark cards makes it easier so idk. VIP/Organization work helps but sometimes it's hard to get a request for a VIP or Organization.

Regardless, I think games are still interesting. I mean BF1 looks good besides playing the French so far will be DLC, which historically makes no sense but whatever, I think I'll still buy it when I build myself a PC. 

I got a Demo of Dying Light off the PS Store, and man from the little bit they give you it looks like a fun game. Much like Metro last light.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

14 minutes ago, Tom Hanks said:

there's plenty of shining examples of devs doing the right thing:

- kerbal space program, explains itself.

- age of empires 2: HD. i was kind of on the fence on this one, but they changed nothing except the two things that were wrong with this game in the modern world: water textures shouldnt be purple, and multiplayer shouldnt require nullmodem cables :P

- the talos principle is the most impressive game in my list in terms of effort put into little details.

- cities:skylines showed me that "simcity"-like games have not gotten dull and convoluted, its just EA that has their head up their ass

- banished is one of the best games in its category. nothing too much, nothing too little.

- keep talking and nobody explodes basicly reinvented the concept of a party game

- the viscera cleanup detail devs are nuts... its a game about cleaning.. cmon xD

- south park: the stick of truth has its faults, but the game does things right that i thought were forgotten in 2005.

EDIT: i forgot "life is strange", that game is a worse emotional rollercoaster than some of the most sad movies ever made :P

24 minutes ago, 42kq said:

I can no longer enjoy new videogames, rarely anything gets me excited anymore. I feel like I've seen it all before (and done better 5-10 years ago). Most modern games are so full of hollow and empty promises that I can no longer get on the hypetrain. Because, I've seen it derail time and time again. Games like CS:GO, Battlefield, Evolve, Etc all failed to live up to expectations and were riddled with DLC and other abusive microtransactions designed to shake down the customer for every last cent. Last game I bought was bf3 almost 5 years ago, with my (then)new pc and realized how utter shit it was. I was so disappointed that I haven't spent any money on videogames since(except for kickstarters scams like mighty no.9 and the yogscast game). I did play free weekends and demos if available. I'm just so jaded that I'm unable to believe anything that devs and publishers say anymore. I am interested for tarkov and skyrim remastered but in the back of my head I dread how will they screw it up this time?

And it's not just the AAA industry, it's the indie devs too, what a pretentious lot. TBH braid, limbo, fez, etc. They all suck, they are pretentious over rated hipster trash. Relying more on their novelty and subject matter to sell than any substance or gameplay. The worst of them all was gone home. I feel like the videogame industry has forgotten how to make good games and the Core audience just doesnt care anymore. Is there anyone else like me out there? Just apathetic to all the hype and unable to open their wallet for any new releases? 

I fixed a similar problem I had by trying new games I would never consider like Train fever, Witcher 3, Grid: Autosport, Dying Light, Wolfenstein and more.

Play games in genres you don't play a lot of. Try new games by publishers you've never heard of. Doing this occasionally is quite good.

Try lowering your expectations a little bit. It helps if you lower it and keep an open mind about games.

Don't just take someone's word for how good a game is. Try a demo. Everybody likes different games.

Spend less time gaming. Gaming for too long makes you less excited if the games you play aren't unique or new or fun.

Instead pursue another hobby that you do in between gaming and other activities or things you need to do. My other main hobby is programming and so I divide my free time up so that I spend an equal amount of time on both. Sometimes I even spend more time programming than gaming.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

@wcreek

I disagree. Particle effects in TF2 ruined the game for me, I used to run servers and sometimes I've seen entire games get ruined by people stopping to admire someone's unusual. Or have games grind to a halt when too many people were opening crates and/or trading. I would have no problem if valve allowed people to buy the hats they wanted with desired effects from the ingame store. 

Another thing I do not trust EA or any of it's subsidiaries at all. Battlefield 2 is my favorite game ever. They promised us a sequel and instead gave us crap. From what I've seen of BF1 it looks like BF3.1. I've heard from good friends who've played the game that it's exactly as people suspect a reskinned Battlefield 4(just like battlefront).

@manikyath

I expect games not to suck. You sound like you have a vested interest in CS skins. Are you another silent partner of the fools in cs;go lotto too?

3 minutes ago, 42kq said:

@wcreek

I disagree. Particle effects in TF2 ruined the game for me, I used to run servers and sometimes I've seen entire games get ruined by people stopping to admire someone's unusual. Or have games grind to a halt when too many people were opening crates and/or trading. I would have no problem if valve allowed people to buy the hats they wanted with desired effects from the ingame store. 

Another thing I do not trust EA or any of it's subsidiaries at all. Battlefield 2 is my favorite game ever. They promised us a sequel and instead gave us crap. From what I've seen of BF1 it looks like BF3.1. I've heard from good friends who've played the game that it's exactly as people suspect a reskinned Battlefield 4(just like battlefront).

@manikyath

I expect games not to suck. You sound like you have a vested interest in CS skins. Are you another silent partner of the fools in cs;go lotto too?

What games do you think suck and if so then why?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, 42kq said:

@wcreek

@manikyath

you are really a blind idiot arent you?

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

TF2 community just has a large pile of idiots, that's just because of the kind of people the game appeals to...

you're falling into the same gap as the "first gen was best pokemon" people, have you considered trying a different game within the same genre? there's plenty of shooters, there's more than likely one that appeals to you.

how can i have a vested interest in CS skins if i openly preach i give no two craps about them and tell people to not waste their money on them?

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

What games do you think suck and if so then why?

i'm honestly starting to think OP is mistaking LTT forums for tumblr, because obviously everyone who thinks things dont suck somehow MUST be making money from those things.

31 minutes ago, 42kq said:

"Good Game" is pretty subjective there. What I might consider a fun game would probably be different than say @manikyath or @Tibbles considers fun, and what we both consider fun would likely be different than what you or the next person considers fun. 

Some game devs may share what you consider fun with you. 

Personally I find games that are immersive but still manage to have a good story or something like that being told along the line that might sometimes be altered by what you do. I mean Until Dawn is a great game, even though it's still more like a movie. It's still pretty fun and interesting. But GTA V, etc. are fun too because they have something being said but also have the free-roam element. Much like Just Cause 3. 

Games like Metro: Last Light and Wolfenstein: New Order also have some interest to me because I kinda like the vibes they seem to give off. 

11 minutes ago, 42kq said:

@wcreek

Huh I'm not aware of ever having that problem but I've mostly played my 18 to 20 or so hours in Payload some of that 18 to 20 hours though has been spent in King of the Hill. 
Idk what you're running but an A8 6410 seems to handle slightly below Medium just fine.

Okay so? Fallout 4 has been called Fallout 3 with a fresh coat of paint and a new storyline. 

Graphically, I'm not too concerned with what a game looks like. I mean obviously it's nice when a game looks nice too. But I like to mention World of Warcraft, the graphics in that are obviously dated even after Blizz did char model updates in like 2012 and texture updates. Legion sounds like it'll be improving even more.

I can understand the anger against Far Cry: Primal being nearly a Copypasta of Far Cry 4, because the maps look nearly the same.

Edited by wcreek
Changed out Copy+Paste for a better word imo.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

19 minutes ago, wcreek said:

If I did decide to buy CS:GO that's probably how I'd play it. That's how I've been playing TF2. 

Micro transactions tend to not bother me too much. But GTA V has me kinda mixed with its use of Micro transactions. It technically doesn't change gameplay too much. As it's easier to make money online now, but still buying the shark cards makes it easier so idk. VIP/Organization work helps but sometimes it's hard to get a request for a VIP or Organization.

the thing about microtransactions is that they are an amazing thing if they can boost your own playtrough (tossing a fiver at GTA V to buy that car you wanted instead of a week of grinding) without impacting the playtrough of people around you (counter strike online was the glorious example of doing this the wrong way, with people who paid for weapons actually getting kicked out some lobbies because they were *that* overpowered.)

@AluminiumTech 

Most new releases. Fallout 4. It wasn't bad just mediocre. New Vegas set this high standard and FO4 just dropped the ball. I hope the skyrim remastered doesn't suck though I really do. 

@manik

You came in here looking for a fight. You insulted me from the get go. Either make an argument or leave!

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the thing about microtransactions is that they are an amazing thing if they can boost your own playtrough 

Now I know you're a shill. Microtransactions are unacceptable in any form!