How do I run a command when another is on the run? in sh

eengamerjens
Go to solution Solved by Tomsen,

You can't run them all at once, but by adding a single '&' at the end, will put the running command in the background (and will allow the next command to run immediately).

Example:

#! /bin/bash
clear
timeout 60s
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/BungeeCord; java -Xmx100M -Xms100M -jar BungeeCord.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/lobby; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/factions; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/plots; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &

hallo you all

i want dis to start all to Together at once?

in shell                    

help!                       

code

vvvv

---------------------------------------------------------------

#! /bin/bash
clear
timeout 60s
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/BungeeCord; java -Xmx100M -Xms100M -jar BungeeCord.jar"

xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/lobby; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar"

xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/factions; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar"

xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/plots; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar"

---------------------------------------------------------------

a video of what is happening.mp4

have you tried adding && between them? I used to do that when doing apt-update.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

You can't run them all at once, but by adding a single '&' at the end, will put the running command in the background (and will allow the next command to run immediately).

Example:

#! /bin/bash
clear
timeout 60s
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/BungeeCord; java -Xmx100M -Xms100M -jar BungeeCord.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/lobby; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/factions; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &
xterm -e sh -c "cd /home/minecraftserver/Desktop/test-server/plots; java -Xmx785M -Xms785M -jar spigot.jar" &

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

have you tried adding && between them? I used to do that when doing apt-update.

I believe this runs the first command and then if it was successful the next command is run after, so not at the same time

&& would work well for apt-update && apt-upgrade though :)

As @Tomsen mentioned, you can't run their simultaneously, and you might want to try his solution. Mine would using a programming language that supports forks , like C or C++. This way you could run each command as a different process.

8 hours ago, Tomsen said:

Example:

#! /bin/bash
clear
timeout 60s

THX men 

7 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

As @Tomsen mentioned, you can't run their simultaneously, and you might want to try his solution. Mine would using a programming language that supports forks , like C or C++. This way you could run each command as a different process.

Going from a scripting language to a low-level system language, might be a slight to big of a jump. He only provokes an external application from commandline (from what we can see), so I would think c/c++ would be kind of a waste. The language should depend on the script/application/work-requirements and whatnot.

The method I used, is basically bash's implementation of fork (not as capable as c/c++'s), but still do the job in a nicely manner.

It essentially creates a child-process, run it is a sub-shell, with the running command(s) (you can use '()' to encapsulate multiple lines).

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO