Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FireofDestruction

half decent laptops

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

well guys, i'm going to lay it all out here i'm in tech school which is basically college in the military i have 3 months before i can get my desktop(at my first station) and i'm currently sitting with a i3 3110M 8GB of ram and like a 750GB hard drive this cannot game at all its 4 years old. My budget for a new laptop is 600-800 ish USD suggestions are welcome anything that's a bit better than this would be gr8.


   

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FireofDestruction said:

was actually looking at this one here as it seems to be pretty popular https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYZ0J6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

 

that's a good laptop, but the build quality is not very good. If you aren't moving it much and have a mouse/keyboard to replace the bad one on the laptop. I would at least get a mouse. 


 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

that's a good laptop, but the build quality is not very good. If you aren't moving it much and have a mouse/keyboard to replace the bad one on the laptop. I would at least get a mouse. 

i had my mother ship my headset, mouse and webcam to me already :P something i didnt mention in my posts so corsair 1500s and m65 and the logitech c920


   

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FireofDestruction said:

i had my mother ship my headset, mouse and webcam to me already :P something i didnt mention in my posts so corsair 1500s and m65 and the logitech c920

 

Nice, then you should be fine, just be aware that you are trading good specs for build quality


 

;(

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, TheGTXman said:

looks great .... Do u want an optical drive????????????

and sorry i was so set on ASUS i just trust them the most.

thats cool i understand if you can find an asus with like a dedicated gpu and a semi good processor ill look at it thanks for your suggestions so far. :)


   

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FireofDestruction said:

was actually looking at this one here as it seems to be pretty popular https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PYZ0J6/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

 

My vote definitely goes to the dell 7559. Pal has one in i5 flavour and its a great bit of kit for the price.


PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

 

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dell 7559 is a much better choice than the ASUS. The U CPUs are not even in the same league as the quad core HQ's, plus you get a 960m. that's all you need for gaming currently. I'd even go for an i5HQ model if you're stretched for cash. 


I wish I could recommend a ThinkPad for that price range, simply cos of the durability. I've dropped mine out of cars, off of a ladder, and even dropped packs on it. Still the same beast its always been, lol.

I was an Aussie ET (electronics technician) in the same situation a few years ago.
Enjoy :)


Desktop:: Xeon 1230v5 | Noctua nh-d14 | Sapphire 7970 | Corsair LP 16GB | EVGA G2 750w |

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & SanDisk Ultra II 480GB & Seagate Barracuda 1TB

 

ThinkPad t460p:: i7 6700HQ | Corsair 16GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
52 minutes ago, Hill said:

The Dell 7559 is a much better choice than the ASUS. The U CPUs are not even in the same league as the quad core HQ's, plus you get a 960m. that's all you need for gaming currently. I'd even go for an i5HQ model if you're stretched for cash. 


I wish I could recommend a ThinkPad for that price range, simply cos of the durability. I've dropped mine out of cars, off of a ladder, and even dropped packs on it. Still the same beast its always been, lol.

I was an Aussie ET (electronics technician) in the same situation a few years ago.
Enjoy :)

this laptop wouldn't be moving too much at all just sitting in my barracks so mobility isn't really much of an issue to me its more of just simply running games, part of my training is ill be going out in the woods for 3 weeks and returning to a different dorm which with my desktop would be a huge inconvenience moving 45 pounds from one dormitory to another(and i don't trust people around here) plus a monitor but i'm going to think on the 7559 before i jump on it, not really stretched for cash because i don't really have any bills to pay lol.


   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we get a follow up as to your new laptop then ? :)


Desktop:: Xeon 1230v5 | Noctua nh-d14 | Sapphire 7970 | Corsair LP 16GB | EVGA G2 750w |

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & SanDisk Ultra II 480GB & Seagate Barracuda 1TB

 

ThinkPad t460p:: i7 6700HQ | Corsair 16GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×